Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
If Chytil makes third line, then Nash should get moved

No, no he should not.

This is the type if shortsighted reactionary crap that demoralizes a team (one that will compete), which already traded a leader in Derek Stepan in the offseason, and would likely put us out of the playoff picture when we dont have to be. All because an 18 year old makes the Top 9.

Just no.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Moving vets happens on every team every season. They'd be fine.

When you aspiration to make the playoffs, which this team does otherwise they would not have signed Shattenkirk, you don't trade two integral parts of the lockerroom in one offseason. Stepan traded. Shatty brought. Solved one problem but opened another. Nash traded. They won't have someone to replace what he brings, regardless of what YOU think of him. He is still a big body forward that drives towards the net, not to mention he is a very good defensively. I know everyone loves speed and offense, but having Veterans who understand the NHL game and what it takes to make it through a season and win seems to be so underrated around here. This is not a video game. Can't just ice a roster and neglect other facets of the game.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'm not sure the Rangers are in position to move Nash. Both Andersson and Chytil would have to prove that they could handle the rigors of a full season. I have my doubts. Otherwise, move Nash and you have two potential holes in the top 9. At this point, another top 9 forward is needed anyway.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Rick Nash has more value as a player than he would fetch us in a trade.

yes its a lot of money but its coming off the books after this season.

you 100% keep Nash for the season, then see if he would sign a team friendly deal next summer, or if he is not needed, part ways.

Rick Nash is not a problem right now

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Remember when Pierre McGuire used Ondrej Palat as a comparison for Chytil. Good times.

It's actually not a terrible comparison, it's super lazy, but not terrible...
Remember when Pierre compares Lias Andersson to Jesper Fast and Oscar Lindberg though? That's both lazy and terrible :D

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Remember when Pierre compares Lias Andersson to Jesper Fast and Oscar Lindberg though? That's both lazy and terrible :D

Both comparisons are lazy. It's 'let's compare to a player from the same country'. Maybe I haven't seen enough of Palat, but, Chytil appears to have a higher skill-set.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
So, play with the idea that Chytil keeps impressing and he looks like he's making the team. Why wouldn't we sign Jagr and glue them together?
We can get cap space easily, either by going bonus heavy contract or trade Holden and/or Grabner.

KZB
Nash-Hayes-Zuke
JTM-Chytil-Jagr
Vesey-DD-Fast (Grabner until Fast is back)

Trade Grabner when Fast is back unless we have any injuries or Chytil doesn't work out.

Imagine JTM-Chytil-Jagr with heavy OZ starts? Wow.
1st, 2nd and 4th can all handle any usage really in theory.

jas - I agree somewhat, but Palat is really good and kinda similar style wise. Both have size (well, Chytil is bigger but still), speed and nice hands.
I do think Chytil has the higher offensive ceiling and Palat is a borderline Selke finalist so they do certainly differ.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Moving vets happens on every team every season. They'd be fine.

Not when your goal is winning the cup.

When you aspiration to make the playoffs, which this team does otherwise they would not have signed Shattenkirk, you don't trade two integral parts of the lockerroom in one offseason. Stepan traded. Shatty brought. Solved one problem but opened another. Nash traded. They won't have someone to replace what he brings, regardless of what YOU think of him. He is still a big body forward that drives towards the net, not to mention he is a very good defensively. I know everyone loves speed and offense, but having Veterans who understand the NHL game and what it takes to make it through a season and win seems to be so underrated around here. This is not a video game. Can't just ice a roster and neglect other facets of the game.

Wait. You mean I can't take control with 5 minutes left, put the difficulty on rookie and score 4 goals to ensure we win? :sarcasm:

Trading Nash (unless something drastic happens and we are out of the playoff picture) is an absolutely idiotic idea.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I wouldn’t want either Lias or Chytil playing fourth line here this year. If niether can make the third line, which for nyr is generally another offensive line that gets soft matchups, they should go back and develop more imo. Not worth burning a year of a deal for them to play so little and I’d be wary of the effect it’d have in their development.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

That's who Andersson looks like at this point to be honest. I hope there's a lot more upside there.

Chytil looks more like the 7th overall pick by far

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I almost feel like it would be better to have The Don Chytil elsewhere this year no matter how good a training camp he had. He's just so young. Let him have another year of physical and emotional growth. Keep him hungry about being on Broadway.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

you 100% keep Nash for the season, then see if he would sign a team friendly deal next summer, or if he is not needed, part ways.

He's not a problem, but I completely understand wanting to get something back for him if he's just gonna walk. His fate won't be determined until the trade deadline. If the Rangers are out or on the bubble, I could see him being traded. If they are firmly in playoff position, they'll probably keep him. The same thing goes for Grabner. If Nash is playing well come the deadline, we could get a 1st + for him. Lesser players have gotten as much.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
So, play with the idea that Chytil keeps impressing and he looks like he's making the team. Why wouldn't we sign Jagr and glue them together?
We can get cap space easily, either by going bonus heavy contract or trade Holden and/or Grabner.

KZB
Nash-Hayes-Zuke
JTM-Chytil-Jagr

Trade Grabner when Fast is back unless we have any injuries or Chytil doesn't work out.

jas - I agree somewhat, but Palat is really good and kinda similar style wise. Both have size (well, Chytil is bigger but still), speed and nice hands.
I do think Chytil has the higher offensive ceiling and Palat is a borderline Selke finalist so they do certainly differ.
Grabner is going to play. He deserves to play. He scores 27 goals last year and you want to trade him? When our PK is already a big question, youre going to trade the most dangerous part of our PK. He is fast. AV likes to play fast. Grabner is going nowhere.

And Vesey is not playing the 4th line. AV has high hopes for him. He has already said practically as such.

I would love to have Jagr, but would not make the sacrifices you are willing to, to get him. Chytil making the team would all but eliminate Jagr being an option, not increase those chances.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
That's who Andersson looks like at this point to be honest. I hope there's a lot more upside there.

No it's not. He's got a much better shot, skates better and showed his passing skills on the setup to Tambellini. Basically, he's a better skating Stepan with a better shot and more snarl. At worst, he's a solid 2nd line center. I'd still prefer Glass or Liljegren, but, Andersson was still a solid pick.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I almost feel like it would be better to have The Don Chytil elsewhere this year no matter how good a training camp he had. He's just so young. Let him have another year of physical and emotional growth. Keep him hungry about being on Broadway.

That's kind of where I'm at. Unless he plays another couple preseason games and just absolutely blows us all away, I think he's better served long-term with another year of development back home (or even the AHL, though that's apparently not an option).

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The player that looks like Tambellini is Gropp. Gropp has more time to develop and I'm still optimistic about him, but it's the same type of thing--perimeter, not getting involved, not finding space, not putting yourself in position to use your tools. As I said in another thread though, Gropp has time to adjust. He did those things in the WHL and if he can up his tempo and adjust to pro play and do those things he'll be fine.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden

No it's not, but i'm not surprised you think so given that your go to is to hate and nitpick on every new Swede.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
He's also an athlete and feels k. Were it January and he was winded after morning skate, then you'd worry. Plus it isn't what Lemieux had, which is like 50/50 if even that high. I think he'll dodge a bullet there.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

KZB
Nash-Hayes-Zuke
JTM-Chytil-Jagr

Also.... what if Andersson makes the team too?

I'd like to keep Grabner though for the speed.

Probably no room for Jagr. Maybe Fast should be the one moved.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO

No way, you move Nash near the deadline regardless of where the team is at. Get another 1st for him, retain as much cap as needed to make sure you acquire another first. Injecting 4 first rounders, over two offseasons is a way to plug those forward prospect holes. This is a stacked draft and he's the only trade chip we have.
If there is a chance to resign him and the numbers work in the summer, you think about signing him again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad