Roster Building Thread - Part VIII (2023-24 season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Analogy. Lundqvist as a goalie wasn’t good at offense compared to other goalies so yes - he was hurting team’s chances of winning.
Personally, I never forgave him for that.

That's the worst analogy a human being made in 2023 and I'm impressed by how you got it in under the wire.
Much like goaltenders, defensive defensemen aren’t relied on for their offense.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Analogy. Lundqvist as a goalie wasn’t good at offense compared to other goalies so yes - he was hurting team’s chances of winning.
His cap hit sure hurt the team’s chance of winning though. That’s why they should trade Igor in the offseason

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I hate boiling pairs down to an offense guy and a defense guy. Players are more nuanced than that. The only thing I hate more is goalies.

Regardless, even if you're going to do that, I find it extremely dubious to suggest that Fox needs a defensive defenseman.

There's an argument to be made that Fox is the best defender in the league. He's not, conventionally, an offensive defensman. He doesn't take a ton of risks or jump into an inordinate amount of rushes. He certainly doesn't skate well. Most of his 5v5 production is happenstance as a result of being a flawless positional defender.

Fox, imo, would be even better with a partner who can and does rush up the ice. Even if that's not the case, he sure as shit doesn't need a babysitter. He doesn't play that type of offensive game.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Kinda an outrageous comment. "Maybe better".. maybe you could make a playstyle comparison, but other than that... Iginla is a hall of famer with a few +90 point NHL seasons and demolished juniors, Cuylle could still have some upside from here but I don't see that being anywhere near realistic
Iginla 46 yo now tho.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Agreed. If I’m giving up a first we might as well go for someone younger who we could resign or has term
Yes. Cap tight this season but should be some flexibility going forward it there's a player they wish to keep longer term.

Last edited:

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Has Lindgren hurt Fox thus far and throughout their time to together as a pairing? I guess that’s up for debate. But I don’t think it’s insane to think that if you could find a partner who is perhaps more proficient with the puck that Fox’s results could be even better. I know it’s hard to comprehend but there are pairings in the NHL that are even better than Lindgren-Fox have been in terms of play driving.

Reactions: Machinehead

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I hate boiling pairs down to an offense guy and a defense guy. Players are more nuanced than that. The only thing I hate more is goalies.

Regardless, even if you're going to do that, I find it extremely dubious to suggest that Fox needs a defensive defenseman.

There's an argument to be made that Fox is the best defender in the league. He's not, conventionally, an offensive defensman. He doesn't take a ton of risks or jump into an inordinate amount of rushes. He certainly doesn't skate well. Most of his 5v5 production is happenstance as a result of being a flawless positional defender.

Fox, imo, would be even better with a partner who can and does rush up the ice. Even if that's not the case, he sure as shit doesn't need a babysitter. He doesn't play that type of offensive game.
I agree with you on defenseman being either offensive or defensive is reductive.
I also agree with you that fox is good at the defensive side.
He's also not great at specific things that his partner needs to cover for on the defensive side.
His offensive production comes from distribution and controlling the blue line. He's a very diffferent player than karlsson, or hughes.
The ideal partner for me for fox would be slavin.

Reactions: Kendo

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Has Lindgren hurt Fox thus far and throughout their time to together as a pairing? I guess that’s up for debate. But I don’t think it’s insane to think that if you could find a partner who is perhaps more proficient with the puck that Fox’s results could be even better. I know it’s hard to comprehend but there are pairings in the NHL that are even better than Lindgren-Fox have been in terms of play driving.

I think it would be overkill. Fox already produces. If we got a defenseman I’d rather spread them out and have more time on ice with someone good.

Reactions: pld459666

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I think it would be overkill. Fox already produces. If we got a defenseman I’d rather spread them out and have more time on ice with someone good.
In an ideal world it would be getting someone better than Trouba because that pairing has been underwhelming for years now but that is much more unlikely than the idea of Lindgren being dealt. I guess they could upgrade Schneider but I’m not sure it would be worth it Tbh.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
In an ideal world it would be getting someone better than Trouba because that pairing has been underwhelming for years now but that is much more unlikely than the idea of Lindgren being dealt. I guess they could upgrade Schneider but I’m not sure it would be worth it Tbh.
Schneider is the same age as laf, and as he continues to fill out will be alot better than he currently is.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Schneider is the same age as laf, and as he continues to fill out will be alot better than he currently is.
I think he’s made improvements this season and he’s getting good results with Gustafsson So I wouldn’t touch that pairing. But if there’s one area on D that could in theory be upgraded and that has more than a subzero chance of happening that might be it.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
The problem is that he’s not really producing this year 5v5 and he’d possibly benefit from a partner who doesn’t do things like this

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The one thing that baffles me with Lindgren is that he is actually really good at walking the line and getting a shot on net. He almost never attempts it though (he scored a few games ago doing this.)

He ops for bad angle or shots have no chance of being anything but blocked.

Anyone who thinks that Lindgren hasn’t had a negative impact on Fox 5v5 this year is lying to themselves. Fox probably wins the Norris last year if he had a more capable partner too.

Reactions: Flan the incredible
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad