Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
What would you give up for him? Obviously 1 is off the table, but I do wonder what Nashville would take. I honestly wouldn't mind the team exploring trade avenues for previous drafted goalies (like Fowler or even Augustine) that are still super young.
That's the hard question. I have no idea how to pinpoint the value of goalies before they make the NHL. NSH would obviously trade Saros before Askarov, so it would take alot to get him. (14++, or maybe something with Eklund) Even then, I could be way off so who knows.

DET is interesting since they have Cossa and Augustine. But again, how do you value these guys?

Most top goalies in the CHL or NCAA are playing behind stacked teams (Fowler, Augustine, etc) and you have to ask yourself would another goalie (who we could acquire much cheaper) be able to help a team win to the same extent?

The best way (and obviously cheapest) to acquire a goalie is keep taking random shots in the draft and hope one pans out down the road. I mean Shesterkin (4th round), Sorokin (third round), Saros (4th round), Helleybuck, (5th round) and so on are some of the best goalies in the league and they were all taken after the 2nd round.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
That's the hard question. I have no idea how to pinpoint the value of goalies before they make the NHL. NSH would obviously trade Saros before Askarov, so it would take alot to get him. (14++, or maybe something with Eklund) Even then, I could be way off so who knows.

DET is interesting since they have Cossa and Augustine. But again, how do you value these guys?

Most top goalies in the CHL or NCAA are playing behind stacked teams (Fowler, Augustine, etc) and you have to ask yourself would another goalie (who we could acquire much cheaper) be able to help a team win to the same extent?

The best way (and obviously cheapest) to acquire a goalie is keep taking random shots in the draft and hope one pans out down the road. I mean Shesterkin (4th round), Sorokin (third round), Saros (4th round), Helleybuck, (5th round) and so on are some of the best goalies in the league and they were all taken after the 2nd round.
I also like GMGM’s approach of buying low on goalies like Vanacek as reclamation projects. If he turns his game around after his injury, he’s still young enough to give us some good years.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I also like GMGM’s approach of buying low on goalies like Vanacek as reclamation projects. If he turns his game around after his injury, he’s still young enough to give us some good years.
For now, sure, but I’m not interested in taking that continued approach when we become contenders again. That’s why teams like Toronto and even Edmonton never reach their potential.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
For now, sure, but I’m not interested in taking that continued approach when we become contenders again. That’s why teams like Toronto and even Edmonton never reach their potential.

I mean good goalies are better than not good goalies but Colorado won a cup with mediocre goaltending

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I feel like teams like Edmonton and Toronto don't reach their potential because they commit to someone on their blue line that holds them back significantly. Obviously, Nurse's contract is awful but Toronto with Brodie kind of consistently blew up in their faces.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I feel like teams like Edmonton and Toronto don't reach their potential because they commit to someone on their blue line that holds them back significantly. Obviously, Nurse's contract is awful but Toronto with Brodie kind of consistently blew up in their faces.
Toronto hasnt been a failure because of Brodie.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Toronto hasnt been a failure because of Brodie.
Not entirely. There's a lot that goes into Toronto but he was pretty much worthless to them and couldn't get rid of him to reinvest that cap into anything else. They have no defensive depth and they can't get themselves a dependable goalie either.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
It's more because they hitched their wagon to Rielly as their #1 defenseman. You can't even win with Erik Karlsson as your 1D let alone the poor man's version of him.
I mean Toronto has a plethora of problems, and I’ll agree attaching the construction of that defense with shoddy goaltending options isn’t a blueprint to success.i think Reilly is a decent top pairing .d-man but when you’re chugging out McCabe and Benoit on your second pairing… no thanks.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Not entirely. There's a lot that goes into Toronto but he was pretty much worthless to them and couldn't get rid of him to reinvest that cap into anything else. They have no defensive depth and they can't get themselves a dependable goalie either.
The biggest issue is they have to be economic since they have so much money tied into 4 forwards. Brodie himself wasn’t the problem so much as the fact that they couldn’t afford for him not to be a 5 million dollar d-man.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I mean Toronto has a plethora of problems, and I’ll agree attaching the construction of that defense with shoddy goaltending options isn’t a blueprint to success.i think Reilly is a decent top pairing .d-man but when you’re chugging out McCabe and Benoit on your second pairing… no thanks.
Rielly is down there with Karlsson as one of the worst defensive players in the league. He's a second pairing offenseman who was overpromoted due to their lack of other options.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The biggest issue is they have to be economic since they have so much money tied into 4 forwards. Brodie himself wasn’t the problem so much as the fact that they couldn’t afford for him not to be a 5 million dollar d-man.
I think that's certainly a part of it but at least the big four are doing their share of carrying the team to the playoffs. Brodie wasn't doing anything useful at 5 mil for them.

Pete Taylor

Dec 11, 2017
No chance at all that Saros returns Eklund, honestly I think that 14OA is too much too. Goalies really do not have that kind of value, unless you are trading for a bonafide top 3 goalie in the league. To get Saros, I would think that 42OA plus one of Haltunnen/Edstrom/Bystedt gets it done, we would probably see a 4th coming our way too.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
New mock draft at the Athletic (paywall): NHL mock draft 2024: Pronman and Wheeler predict the first two rounds
They alternated picks.

They have the Sharks picking C Celebrini, LD Solberg (Pronman pick), RW Hemming (Wheeler pick), G Gidlof (Pronman).

The usual guys are going in the top 9, and then:
10. NJD - RW Sennecke
11. BUF - RD Yakemchuk
12. PHI - C Catton
13. MIN - LW Eiserman
14. SJS - LD Solberg
15. DET - C Helenius
16. STL - RD Jiricek
17. WSH - RW MBN / Brandsegg-Nygard
18. NYI - C Luchanko
19. VGK - RD Emery
20. CHI - RW Chernyshov

Other Ds:
28. CGY - LD Sahlin Wallenius
30. PHI - RD Badinka
32. NYR - RD Elick
35. ANA - RD Mews
37. WPG - RD Danford
38. UTA - RD Kleber
41. CGY - RD Brunicke
43. BUF - LD Kiviharju
48. STL - LD Pulkkinen
52. WSH - LD Shuravin
55. NSH - LD Muggli
56. STL - RD Marreli
59. NSH - LD Hutson
63. UTA - LD Fischer
65. SEA - LD Freij

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I think that's certainly a part of it but at least the big four are doing their share of carrying the team to the playoffs. Brodie wasn't doing anything useful at 5 mil for them.
The key part of all that is “to the playoffs” and not “through the playoffs”

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Spending an early 2nd rounder on a goaltender when the better option is to spend a late-rounder on Nabokov is stupid as hell. I don’t love Solberg with Helenius and Brandsegg-Nygard on the board, never-mind Jiricek, but it wouldn’t be the worst option. And I don’t care for Hemming at all, with good D like Brunicke, Hutson, Freij on the board. If I could re-do that mock with who’s available:

1 Celebrini
14 Brandsegg-Nygard
33 Brunicke
42 Basha/Hutson/Freij

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
No chance at all that Saros returns Eklund, honestly I think that 14OA is too much too. Goalies really do not have that kind of value, unless you are trading for a bonafide top 3 goalie in the league. To get Saros, I would think that 42OA plus one of Haltunnen/Edstrom/Bystedt gets it done, we would probably see a 4th coming our way too.
I was talking about Askarov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad