Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part VII: Return of Beaver Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If they felt he just needed to get used to the NHL size ice surface then may be. Anything else he should go back to Sweden.

Yeah, and I don't think its irrelevant. Having the option to send him down there for more than the 2 week conditional stint once per year is valuable.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
We signed one D too many in the off-season/failed to get rid of Holden/Staal. Gorton was de facto not counting on getting Shatty when he signed Smith. I think that its unfortunate that we don't have one more opening on the blueline...

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I hate Farnham, he's a waste of space. He's not a "pest", he's a moron. He's Zac Rinaldo pretty much, he can skate and sometimes looks like a decent 4th liner, but he's got a screw loose and is super dangerous out there.

You could even see it last night, he got praised for his "tennis attempt", i see it more as attempted murder, he took a two handed baseball bat swing towards the goalie.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
AV hates kids if he does not ice the following lineup:

Chytil-Ziba-Buch
Zucc-Lias-Nash
Grabner-Hayes-Miller
Farnham-Vinny L-Vesey
Desharnais
McD-Pionk
Skjei-Shatty
Bereglazov/Graves-ADA
Staal
Smith
Holden

;)

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Miller was very good on faceoffs, and I believe MH pointed out at the aisles did not attempt a shot while he was on the ice. If Miller can provide that type of play while putting up 50+ points, the center position will not be an issue. The question is then who gets the LW spot on Miller's line. I guess Puempel gets the first chance. I maintain that keeping Grabner on the 4th line makes the team deeper. If Nash is going to be with Miller, then Hayes need Zucc. I also think that the Rangers would benefit long term if Nieves could win the 4th line center spot.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I was watching the game with my dad last night, we saw Farnham just come out of nowhere and make a leaping hit against one of the Isles players into the boards, for zero reason

My dad asked why he did that, and all I said was, "he sucks so that's all he can do"

Can Lias start in the AHL or he goes back overseas ?

It's up to the Rangers

If he goes to the AHL, because he is 19, his contract will slide a year

Same goes for him going back to Frolunda

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Kreider MIKA Zucc
Nash Miller Buch
Vesey Hayes Grabner
Puempel Desharnais Nieves

Fast comes back puempel comes out is my guess. Nieves won't hurt u solid defender.

I think we're fine up front maybe add a winger at the deadline to get deeper but there is plenty there.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Regarding Grabner. Guy scored what 27 goals last season? You can't start him on the 4th line. Guy earned a promotion

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
If he does that all the time, and (unlike Glass) can keep up with Fast and Nieves/Desharnais, then that's all he needs to be able to do

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Kreider MIKA Zucc
Nash Miller Buch
Vesey Hayes Grabner
Puempel Desharnais Nieves

Fast comes back puempel comes out is my guess. Nieves won't hurt u solid defender.

I think we're fine up front maybe add a winger at the deadline to get deeper but there is plenty there.

Hayes needs someone that can drive possession. That 3rd line looks like it could have too many shifts pinned in it's own end. Hayes would benefit from having Zucc on his RW. Grabner on the 4th line makes the lineup deeper. A 4th line consisting of Grabner and Fast would be one of the best 4th lines in the league. And Buch is a natural fit with Kreider and Zib. You maximize your lineup by spreading out your scoring. AV is going to roll four lines. Zucc and Grabner will get their share of ice time.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Today's Bleacher Report has story about Lupul calling out Leafs: leads to following link:

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/09/18...letter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nhl

Regardless of how healthy he is/isn't, if we could swap him for Staal, then regardless of if Lupul is on LTIR or is a healthy (enough) option at F, he and his expiring contract would be a better fit for NY.

Before this development, no reason for Leafs to push Lupul out the door, but now?

Obviously they are not thrilled w/Staal as the prime return. However, he can be bought out next year. Staal and Lupul are a wash for current season.

What would we have to add for Leafs to do deal, carry Staal, then buy him out?

I'm thinking a 2nd and two 5ths.

thoughts?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Hayes needs someone that can drive possession. That 3rd line looks like it could have too many shifts pinned in it's own end. Hayes would benefit from having Zucc on his RW. Grabner on the 4th line makes the lineup deeper. A 4th line consisting of Grabner and Fast would be one of the best 4th lines in the league. And Buch is a natural fit with Kreider and Zib. You maximize your lineup by spreading out your scoring. AV is going to roll four lines. Zucc and Grabner will get their share of ice time.

You don't put 27 goal scorers on the fourth line though jas. Guy earned a top 9 role. If he can't back it up fine but you don't start that way. No one has a guy scoring like that on their fourth line.

Buch and kreider can't play together because neither plays a lick of D. This didn't work last year they spent entire shifts in our own zone which is why Zucc moved to that line and they were great which is also why they're practicing together now.

Vesey and Hayes need to take the next step. We know this already they know it.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Can Lias start in the AHL or he goes back overseas ?

yes he can play in the AHL. the age restriction only applies to players drafted out of canadian juniors...it is probably the least likely scenario but it is allowed.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
You don't put 27 goal scorers on the fourth line though jas. Guy earned a top 9 role. If he can't back it up fine but you don't start that way. No one has a guy scoring like that on their fourth line.

Buch and kreider can't play together because neither plays a lick of D. This didn't work last year they spent entire shifts in our own zone which is why Zucc moved to that line and they were great which is also why they're practicing together now.

bigger issue with grabner on the 4th line is that you'd need another top 9 forward to push him down...with miller at C there is no winger to push down grabner.

I would try Nash-Miller-Grabner as your checking line to match against the other teams top line (replacing stepan's role)...then for balance kreider-zib-buch, vesey-hayes-zuc

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Vesey-Hayes-Grabner is a disaster waiting to happen unless you shelter them heavily.

Edit: If we manage to get a defensive C somehow then i could definitely see it work, don't see how we can shelter 3rd if DD is our 4C though, no way AV is giving DD defensive usage.

But say we do get a solid defensive 4C, then i'd love this:
CK-Zbad-Buch
Nash-JTM-Zuke
Grabner-Hayes-Vesey
X-<insert defensive C>-Fast

Where both top lines can handle the tougher matchups, 4th gets the heavy DZ starts and 3rd gets sheltered...
Can swap Buch and Zuke if we want the 1st to be a true matchup line, but i prefer it the way i wrote it.

Last edited:

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Can't play a 27 goal scorer on the 4th line? I seem to remember AV doing just in the playoffs last year, as well as playing Buch with Kreider and Zib. Also, you don't have to play D when you have the puck, which makes it pretty cool to have have an elite puck-possession forward like Kreider on your top line. Add in revamping the defense to include superb shot suppressors like Smith and Shattenkirk, and a young, dynamic Dman like DeAngelo. Hayes is a black hole when it comes to possession. Neither Vesey nor Grabner helps him in that regard. Zucc most certainly would. It's not about traditional lineups anymore. The game has changed.

Last edited:

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Vesey-Hayes-Grabner is a disaster waiting to happen unless you shelter them heavily.

Edit: If we manage to get a defensive C somehow then i could definitely see it work, don't see how we can shelter 3rd if DD is our 4C though, no way AV is giving DD defensive usage.

But say we do get a solid defensive 4C, then i'd love this:
CK-Zbad-Buch
Nash-JTM-Zuke
Grabner-Hayes-Vesey
X-<insert defensive C>-Fast

Where both top lines can handle the tougher matchups, 4th gets the heavy DZ starts and 3rd gets sheltered...

I just think you lengthen and strengthen the lineup by giving Hayes a possession-driver like Zucc. I think if you can get LW that could slide next to Miller and Nash, you are much deeper. Or you get a RW that drives possession that could slide next to Hayes and Vesey. Which is the likely easier get? I don't see Gorton adding a 4th line defensive center when he already added DD, and also have Nieves fighting for a spot, as well as Desjardins.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I just think you lengthen and strengthen the lineup by giving Hayes a possession-driver like Zucc. I think if you can get LW that could slide next to Miller and Nash, you are much deeper. Or you get a RW that drives possession that could slide next to Hayes and Vesey. Which is the likely easier get? I don't see Gorton adding a 4th line defensive center when he already added DD, and also have Nieves fighting for a spot, as well as Desjardins.

I don't disagree at all, that's my prefered way to go aswell. But i don't think AV sees it the way we do sadly.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We signed one D too many in the off-season/failed to get rid of Holden/Staal. Gorton was de facto not counting on getting Shatty when he signed Smith. I think that its unfortunate that we don't have one more opening on the blueline...

Don't say this, Ola. The vultures are going to attack you. :laugh:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
if Farnham is just there to skate around and take cheap shots at opponents, I'm not interested. I know that some teams utilize that tactic but i don't want the Rangers to do that. I'd prefer to avoid the sideshow, even if it's actually effective sometimes and legal technically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad