Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part VII: Return of Beaver Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
That "loser of a hockey player" was part of the transformation of this franchise that turned things around. And if not for significant, freak, injuries he would probably still be a stalwart back there.

So watch your mouth.

Also absolutely comical to read a fan's comments about a rookie after ONE PRESEASON GAME, only to use it as a jab at a veteran who has been a Ranger a long time. As much as Staal frustrated me last year and his play has detoriated, there is something to be said about being respectful and loyal.

Thank you for saying it. No one doubts that his career has taken a sad turn south since his horrific injuries. But calling him a looser and this and that is completely uncalled for. For all intents and purposes, all the Staal brothers are supposedly really decent people.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Miller was very good on faceoffs, and I believe MH pointed out at the aisles did not attempt a shot while he was on the ice. If Miller can provide that type of play while putting up 50+ points, the center position will not be an issue. The question is then who gets the LW spot on Miller's line. I guess Puempel gets the first chance. I maintain that keeping Grabner on the 4th line makes the team deeper. If Nash is going to be with Miller, then Hayes need Zucc. I also think that the Rangers would benefit long term if Nieves could win the 4th line center spot.

50 point for Miler with this defense (even not as lopsided as last night)makes him a 2C. And even if Zuke stays with Nash - there's Buch to add offense whatever line he'll be slotted.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i'm trying to think of a lineup in the NHL as fast as that...and if you figure the defense is something like...

McD - Shattenkirk
Smith - Skjei
Holden/Staal - Deangelo/Pionk
Beregazlov

holy crap..thats an incredibly mobile puck moving defense as well...with of course 1 glaring exception.

I can't quite get over how much the D has changed...it's impressive and exciting

I think that we're going to have to live through some of what we would consider "bad D" from time to time but the overall effect is going to be the Rangers on the attack more often and less time defending in their own zone

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I can't quite get over how much the D has changed...it's impressive and exciting

I think that we're going to have to live through some of what we would consider "bad D" from time to time but the overall effect is going to be the Rangers on the attack more often and less time defending in their own zone

It may not happen this season (I don't expect it to) but they're going to have a very good puck moving defense (and overall well rounded) pretty soon.

TheMorningSkate

Jul 3, 2017
I'm like dying inside thinking about the fact that this ****ing loser of a hockey player will get ice time after seeing what Pionk can do... Why did we not buy this guy out?

strong agree about staal. you can talk about "respect" all you want but every single time this guy touches the puck I want to jump out of my window.

In regards to Pionk, it's one game and Nelson looked dog tired when Pionk did the spin-o-rama. I thought DeAngelo looked great and Pionk looked pretty decent.

What's the deal with Graves? I didn't think he looked bad at all- loved his size but noone really is talking about him at all. Is he just a career fringe player?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It may not happen this season (I don't expect it to) but they're going to have a very good puck moving defense (and overall well rounded) pretty soon.

Well if it doesn't happen this season then the defense is going to be a disaster on par with last season

The defense right now as constructed is a puck moving defense. It was overhauled to be that, if they can't move the puck well then it's going to be an amazing disaster to watch

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Well if it doesn't happen this season then the defense is going to be a disaster on par with last season

The defense right now as constructed is a puck moving defense. It was overhauled to be that, if they can't move the puck well then it's going to be an amazing disaster to watch

I'm assuming that Staal-Holden happens.

It'll be better than last year, but Staal kind of holds the group back as a whole.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
You can respect what a guy has done for the team over the years while also being unsatisfied with his play and believe it's time for him to be moved/benched/get less icetime, etc. You can acknowledge a players faults and criticize them without taking shots at them as a person and calling them a "loser".

Humans can hold many complex, sometimes even contradictory, thoughts and emotions about something at the same time, maybe we should use that ability to have a bit more nuance in our discussions. Having respect for what Staal did for this franchise doesn't mean anyone is letting him off the hook for his current play, but there's no need to treat him like garbage because his play on the ice has slipped.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'm assuming that Staal-Holden happens.

It'll be better than last year, but Staal kind of holds the group back as a whole.

Yeah that was going to be my caveat, but a top 4 that sees most of the icetime still pushes it into "good puck moving defense" territory for me.

I'm still not sure that they'll run Staal-Holden though. I'd actually place a small bet that one of those two rides the pine at the start of the season and a young guy is given a chance to run with it if for no other reason than they want to see if someone can step up.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Miller is indisputably a better player than Hayes. I know that he hasn't spent the majority of his time in recent years at Center but that does not mean he comes in as 3C. At the very least I believe he and Hayes will be splitting time evenly for 2C/3C - and even more even keel between those two plus Zibanejad if Zib is not doing well for stretches.

Kreider Zib Zucc
Nash Miller Buch
Vesey Hayes Grabner
Puempel DD Fast

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
strong agree about staal. you can talk about "respect" all you want but every single time this guy touches the puck I want to jump out of my window.

In regards to Pionk, it's one game and Nelson looked dog tired when Pionk did the spin-o-rama. I thought DeAngelo looked great and Pionk looked pretty decent.

What's the deal with Graves? I didn't think he looked bad at all- loved his size but noone really is talking about him at all. Is he just a career fringe player?

There would be a lot more chatter about Graves if it wasn't for all the new D prospects we have this year (Bereglazov, Pionk, DeAngelo).

A lot of analysts think he could be a good 3rd pairing defenseman. He just doesn't have the excitement factor that more 2-way defenseman give to fans.

His handedness also works against him fitting into this lineup.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah that was going to be my caveat, but a top 4 that sees most of the icetime still pushes it into "good puck moving defense" territory for me.

I'm still not sure that they'll run Staal-Holden though. I'd actually place a small bet that one of those two rides the pine at the start of the season and a young guy is given a chance to run with it if for no other reason than they want to see if someone can step up.

I actually want to give a benefit of a doubt to AV, where he is stops being stubborn and takes Staal / Holden out of the lineup if ADA and Pionk clearly outplay them. I mean we are not talking Clendening here. I'd call it a "forced" benefit of a doubt since, in my view, AV was put on notice by Gorton via bringing Ruff and comments he made after the end of last season.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
You can respect what a guy has done for the team over the years while also being unsatisfied with his play and believe it's time for him to be moved/benched/get less icetime, etc. You can acknowledge a players faults and criticize them without taking shots at them as a person and calling them a "loser".

Humans can hold many complex, sometimes even contradictory, thoughts and emotions about something at the same time, maybe we should use that ability to have a bit more nuance in our discussions. Having respect for what Staal did for this franchise doesn't mean anyone is letting him off the hook for his current play, but there's no need to treat him like garbage because his play on the ice has slipped.
This. Great post.

No one is saying he is exempt of criticism. But there is a way to go about it without neglecting everything this player has done. There was a time when Staal was very, very good defensively...I just don't think many remember it because they either weren't around to witness it or too young to understand at the time.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

My point is that Staal is basically what Holden is.... I didn't mean to compare Staal to pionk, but on the other hand, with how good pionk is, just naturally speaking, compared to Staal, it's hard not to compare the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad