Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part V: Strangers in New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Before it gets more out of hand, I think RB meant to say that Gorton has been setting up a "forced" rebuild when he used term "sabotage". Many disagree but some of you are really taking the definition of the word quite literally and, therefore, out of context.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I actually think they should base more of their moves on how a player performed in the previous playoffs.

If they make them this year why shouldn't Miller, Hayes, Skjei, Vesey feel as if their next contract is partially contingent on how they perform in those playoffs? Why should any of the players without full no movement clauses feel safe?

If a team is interested in winning a cup they need players who actually show up for the whole playoffs. These past playoffs only a select few players showed up with their best games.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Leading scorer in the playoffs.

Confirmed: JT Miller poised for a 0 goal season. I knew it all along.

giphy.gif

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Tell you who needs to show up come playoff time this year. Kevin Hayes. He'll be on the Stepan plan if he falls flat again especially with Andersson and Chytil coming.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I think both Hayes and JT will eventually score in the playoffs based on their talent and play.

With that said this was ironic by Kevin Hayes right before the playoffs, "So, before we get going on this journey, I want to let Rangers fans know something: I’ll fight for every puck and every goal this playoffs. All of us will."

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Can't wait for Miller and Hayes to both have successful seasons.

Arguing about their next contracts will be so much fun...

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Zuccarello will be a career Ranger, Shattenkirk will not be traded the year he signed a bargain deal to come to NYR.

I realize you were wrong about Shattenkirk coming here, now you will be on his case to trade him for his entire tenure here. A shame.

I was surprised they didn't do better than Pavelec, but I will trust management here and be a little rational by assuming that he is not trying to sabotage the team. I've actually always been a fan of Pavelec since his Thrashers days, but I realize he's fell off the wagon a bit here the last couple years. Jets fans like to use him as a scapegoat for their "stacked" teams failing over there. (I've got a bit of an ongoing beef with a group of them)

Read. I didn't say Shattenkirk will be traded this season. Gorton protected himself. He has the ability to move the player in future years. Shattenkirk didn't get the long term contract. The NMC expires after the first season.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Read. I didn't say Shattenkirk will be traded this season. Gorton protected himself. He has the ability to move the player in future years. Shattenkirk didn't get the long term contract. The NMC expires after the first season.

Fair enough but you are still pushing a guy out before he plays a game. Think rationally. The General Manager isn't sabotaging the team. Logic. Human beings. Great core. Hank. He's trying to win.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I was surprised they didn't do better than Pavelec, but I will trust management here and be a little rational by assuming that he is not trying to sabotage the team. I've actually always been a fan of Pavelec since his Thrashers days, but I realize he's fell off the wagon a bit here the last couple years. Jets fans like to use him as a scapegoat for their "stacked" teams failing over there. (I've got a bit of an ongoing beef with a group of them)

That last bit says it all for me... Cant take fans word for it.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Think rationally. The General Manager isn't sabotaging the team. Logic. Human beings. Great core. Hank. He's trying to win.

Trying to win and rebuild at the same time. How many teams have been successful that way? He traded his top center for a draft pick with no plan to replace him. In a league where centers are so important. His goalie will be 36 and Pavelec is the best he could do? Gorton is trying to win. Which season? Sometimes you need to lose a battle to win the war.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
If Gorton was all in to win this season or even next season,who gives a rats **** about Stepan's NTC. Keep Stepan. Sign Shattenkirk. Add another piece this summer and at the trading deadline. Buyout Staal. Go for it. Trade the Chytil pick. Try to win won for Hank. That didn't happen.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Trying to win and rebuild at the same time. How many teams have been successful that way? He traded his top center for a draft pick with no plan to replace him. In a league where centers are so important. His goalie will be 36 and Pavelec is the best he could do? Gorton is trying to win. Which season? Sometimes you need to lose a battle to win the war.

Again, he did not. Gorton traded a player who used to be his top center and has been showing signs of physical deterioration for at least over a year. Is it possible he'd reverse that trend? Possibly, but it wasn't a bet FO was willing to take with NTC coming on.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest

I was with you right up until Pavelec. The Rangers could have gone after any of the goalie options on the market, but they signed Pavelec pretty quickly. That, to me, is an indication that Allaire probably had a say in the process and felt he could "fix" him. Goalie after goalie has excelled under Benny's tutelage. Sometimes, a few minor technical tweaks is all that is needed to get a goalie back on track.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
If Gorton was all in to win this season or even next season,who gives a rats **** about Stepan's NTC. Keep Stepan. Sign Shattenkirk. Add another piece this summer and at the trading deadline. Buyout Staal. Go for it. Trade the Chytil pick. Try to win won for Hank. That didn't happen.

That's exactly why this offseason is a C at best for me. It's rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. If you are rebuilding, no reason Stepan should be the only piece to go. Certainly not the first piece to go.

He's built a team that is a 6-10 seed again. Either go all in or blow it up. Half measures are not a good answer.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I think we should wait until August 16th comes around and we see what NCAA FA's Gorton signs. It's possible there are trades hedging on that as well.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

So in your mind there's not such thing as a hybrid mindset? Like let's get some young assets for the future and also some prime assets for now so we can win now and in the future. Somewhere in between wanting to stink to rebuild but also going "all in."

Hmm, what would you call that? Maybe a rebuild on the fly?

Andersson. Chytil. Future. Shattenkirk. Smith. Present. Zibanejad. Both. Win. Now. Win. Later.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
There are degrees of most things. Not trading 4 draft picks for a 35 year old all star doesn't mean you are not trying to win this season. Many teams want to win this season but that doesn't mean they will make unreasonable moves. We got younger (Anderson) and older (Shatty) based on the repercussions of the Stepan trade.

We would like a Nate M, Leon, or Duchene but the other team has to be willing to move them. We can't send Uncle Pauly to their house and say give us Leon or we will kill you tonight. Its not a matter of not wanting to win now. We do want to win every season. Its trying to do the best we can with the choices we are given at this point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad