Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LX

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I would bet you Lundqvist lost the locker room a little bit over the past couple seasons

Legend, and obviously respected in the locker room. But he wasn't good this year. And its hard to take someone seriously who should really just be worried about their own game.
And this may also bleed into why they traded Staal instead of just waiting it out one more year. These guys have been huge locker room presences, but when their play slips so dramatically AND you have a fresh group of elite players taking the reins it becomes a little disjointed. This may also play into why the team hasn't named a captain in the past couple years. Internally you know there was a leadership changeover happening just through the attrition of the roster, but you don't want to make that a public issue or display. Funny enough, CK is now the bridge from era to era and the changeover of the leadership group in the room. I'm hurting today bc of an end of an era, but I understand it completely.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
06EFAD5F-9CA8-4492-80C4-9A56A2748365.jpeg

Thanks

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
$12M+ in dead cap space due to buyouts is ... something. You could say they don’t need the space because they’re not contenders next year anyway. You could also say they’re not contenders next year because they can’t use the space.

as opposed to all the cap space we would have had by keeping hank at his full salary as a 3rd goalie and fox being stuck in hartford behind shattenkirk to avoid dead space?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
From 31 Thoughts that's relevant to what we've discussed here before:

8. No confirmation from team and/or agents, but word is Carolina was willing to look at eight years, $7.5 million per year on an Andrei Svechnikov extension. That’s not low, but the player is willing to bet on himself to do even better, which is why this might end up being a bridge deal — for now.

Could be indicative of what a Kakko 2nd contract might look like following a breakout 2nd season. Something to keep an eye on.

11. On the Instigators radio show, Buffalo GM Kevyn Adams told Andrew Peters and Craig Rivet: “People make phone calls and ask about players every day. My job is to listen…. We have no intention and we’re not looking to do anything with Jack Eichel.”

The Sabres paid Eichel a $7.5-million bonus this season. Seventy-five per cent of his 2020–21 salary is paid. It is absolutely senseless for them to make an Eichel trade for this reason. But if things don’t get better, we are going to revisit this topic next spring.

All the Eichel news.

17. Washington is trying to move money to keep Brenden Dillon.

Possible FA target linked to the Rangers.

21. Calgary is checking in on every available goalie. I think the Flames talked with Columbus, too, but that’s cooled down. Depending on what’s available, they could do a big revamp of their blue line. When talking about Taylor Hall with New Jersey, Noah Hanifin’s name was discussed.

Everyone's favorite team to discuss and alleged Brady Skjei redux.

22. I also wonder if the Coyotes test the market on Clayton Keller.

Always a crowd pleaser.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Lot of people harping on the 13m in dead cap space this season. We have 23m in space which is plenty to sign all of our RFAs, then still enough to do a little shopping come October 9th if we so choose. This doesn't take into account any prospective trades. When we have more than 1/3 of our roster on ELCs and 23m in cap space, the dead cap space for 1 season has hardly any effect on us at all. Sure we can't go out and sign a big UFA fish, but are there even any out there that fit our makeup?

This, also 23M cap is alot to work with. If a trade comes along the Rangers like for a LHD or 2C etc, they simply don't sign or they trade ADA and/or Strome. Its alot of dead cap for a year but I doubt it hinders anything the Rangers do.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
From 31 Thoughts that's relevant to what we've discussed here before:

Could be indicative of what a Kakko 2nd contract might look like following a breakout 2nd season. Something to keep an eye on.

All the Eichel news.

Possible FA target linked to the Rangers.

Everyone's favorite team to discuss and alleged Brady Skjei redux.

Always a crowd pleaser.

That would be a fantastic deal for carolina...kid is a stud

Reactions: Trxjw

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I still think as I’ve said he will retire. He may very well want to see if there’s someone out there willing to trust him with the starting net but in the end I don’t think that will happen. And when it doesn’t maybe then he calls it a career.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Lot of people harping on the 13m in dead cap space this season. We have 23m in space which is plenty to sign all of our RFAs, then still enough to do a little shopping come October 9th if we so choose. This doesn't take into account any prospective trades. When we have more than 1/3 of our roster on ELCs and 23m in cap space, the dead cap space for 1 season has hardly any effect on us at all. Sure we can't go out and sign a big UFA fish, but are there even any out there that fit our makeup?
In two years time, I hope we can be where COL is right now. A team that is almost there, super young, and with a ton of cap space available to help get them over the top. We need to be really smart about how we use our cap space right now. Stay away from long-term commitments unless the deal is too good to pass up. I expect some bargain bin shopping to help bolster the lineup a bit and obtain the necessary exposures needed for the expansion draft. Maybe you pull the trigger on a bigger deal, but cap in needs to equal cap out (again, unless the deal is too good to pass up).

I'm not worried about the dead cap this season. Not in the least. Most of it has been added since "the letter," so clearly this was part of the plan to use the space when we weren't going to need it. It's part of the rebuild.

Reactions: Calad

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think what we are going to see is Gorton making other trades to fill the gaps in the roster. The space we have now means we don't have to worry about saving cap in future deals. We can bring back equal cap, or even slightly more, if we don't intend to re-sign Fast.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
And this may also bleed into why they traded Staal instead of just waiting it out one more year. These guys have been huge locker room presences, but when their play slips so dramatically AND you have a fresh group of elite players taking the reins it becomes a little disjointed. This may also play into why the team hasn't named a captain in the past couple years. Internally you know there was a leadership changeover happening just through the attrition of the roster, but you don't want to make that a public issue or display. Funny enough, CK is now the bridge from era to era and the changeover of the leadership group in the room. I'm hurting today bc of an end of an era, but I understand it completely.

Very well put. You explained exactly what I was thinking better than I could

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I could see Gorton keying in on not just Fast, but at least 1 other veteran bottom-6 player. Whether that be via trade or UFA. I think the organization knows they must improve that portion of the team and throwing out:
Lafreniere, Chytil, Gauthier, Howden and Lemieux
in the bottom-6 every night is probably not the right path if the team wants to be successful.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad