Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LX

Status
Not open for further replies.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I think the decision to part ways w Hank and Marc is about more than just cap space. It is about making the team better (Staal), giving them an opportunity to see if they can play elsewhere (Hank), and potentially about the locker room / transition to new leadership (both but especially Hank).

That said, do I expect them to make use of the cap space? I do.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
I think the decision to part ways w Hank and Marc is about more than just cap space. It is about making the team better (Staal), giving them an opportunity to see if they can play elsewhere (Hank), and potentially about the locker room / transition to new leadership (both but especially Hank).

That said, do I expect them to make use of the cap space? I do.
Great, now who are the accountability guys in that room?

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I never knew I had the fear of imaging Henrik in and Islanders jersey until now. Tampa has McElhenny for another year. TOR has Campbell and I doubt they'd run Henrik/Campbell if they get rid of Andersen for cap. Vancouver needs a goalie if Markstrom walks. I think the Avs might be a spot.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
I never knew I had the fear of imaging Henrik in and Islanders jersey until now. Tampa has McElhenny for another year. TOR has Campbell and I doubt they'd run Henrik/Campbell if they get rid of Andersen for cap. Vancouver needs a goalie if Markstrom walks. I think the Avs might be a spot.
The Islanders don't need him and he wouldn't sign with them anyway. Stupid way to tarnish his legacy with the Rangers fan base.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
So it looks like $23m this year, then another ALMOST $20m next year.

A total of $42m over the next two seasons coming free.

I would stay away from making any big FA splashes unless it's Eichel. Re-sign your own. Take advantage of the space to long term extend your guys instead of bridging them, that will pay off down the line.

hope the Rangers do the same. Take care of those in-house, developing and smart shopping.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
$12M+ in dead cap space due to buyouts is ... something. You could say they don’t need the space because they’re not contenders next year anyway. You could also say they’re not contenders next year because they can’t use the space.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Great, now who are the accountability guys in that room?

I would bet you Lundqvist lost the locker room a little bit over the past couple seasons

Legend, and obviously respected in the locker room. But he wasn't good this year. And its hard to take someone seriously who should really just be worried about their own game.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
$12M+ in dead cap space due to buyouts is ... something. You could say they don’t need the space because they’re not contenders next year anyway. You could also say they’re not contenders next year because they can’t use the space.

I think it’s more that the younger players need more experience. Hopefully Kakko is a major improvement, hopefully Igor continues his success, hopefully Laf doesn’t have major growing pains, hopefully we see Miller and Nile in some capacity, and that they show they’re at least close, if not ready to have a role on the team in some capacity.

Reactions: Rangerfan4life90

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Trying to process the emotions and I've decided I'm going to blame Hank's buyout on Libor Hajek for creating the image in my head of Henrik sad and muttering to himself and saying goodbye to people after the Canes game.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Lot of people harping on the 13m in dead cap space this season. We have 23m in space which is plenty to sign all of our RFAs, then still enough to do a little shopping come October 9th if we so choose. This doesn't take into account any prospective trades. When we have more than 1/3 of our roster on ELCs and 23m in cap space, the dead cap space for 1 season has hardly any effect on us at all. Sure we can't go out and sign a big UFA fish, but are there even any out there that fit our makeup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad