Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
That position is a waste of time.

Drury made north of $40 million, has his Colony Grill expansion and is in good standing with Rangers who are in close proximity to his Greenwich home. Not to mention his kids aren’t even in High School yet.

This could be you Henrik........ just think about it........

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Me and Rasp were just talking about how this team is in a weird spot where they have plenty of grit but it's all useless. Our coach also loves useless grit.

We have a lineup of guys who #hustle out of position to bump into somebody after the puck is gone and do stupid shit after the whistle blows, but we have no f***ing clue what a cycle is and nobody but Kreider or Fast has thrown a useful hit in about five years.

I understand why people want grit and I respect that Quinn tries to instill that, but "do useless shit harder and faster" ain't it.

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Howden is the quintessence of this. He's real good at running around and getting sweaty but when's the last time you've actually seen him near the boards? The puck is gone by the time he wanders over there.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
It’s either this or Drury wasn’t happy with what was coming from the other side of the table. When you’re in Drury’s position and you go for another interview, you’re evaluating them as much as they’re evaluating you.
Hextall basically interviewed the Wild. Told them the team needed a tear down and how he would do it. They both realized it was a bad match.

I think in Florida you basically have some staff locked in like someone else mentioned. You have a coach too expensive to fire. You have a massive goalie headache. You have an owner that knows he is getting a massively reduced gate next season if not totally gone. The priority is cost savings over winning.

That sounds like the real position they are filling is "Fall Guy". Someone to blame in 3 years for a terrible organization. I hear the market is red hot and the Coyotes are also looking.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
maybe others should try harder...I don't get how this is a punch line. quinn was given the option of 2 players. 1 player was shitty, can't skate and had a terrible attitude. the other was a shitty player that at least tried and people act surprise that howden played.
They don’t think Howden is shitty though

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Where would a team like this finish next year?

bottom 5?
Just miss playoffs?
Playoff bound?

Panarin - Chytil - Kakko
Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Lafreniere - Henriksson - Kravtsov
Lemieux - Howden - Gauthier

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Trouba
deAngelo - Hajek

Shestorkin
Georgiev

*Smith, Lettieri, Haley (basically vets so no kids sit)
Will Quinn be your coach for full year? If so my quests would be just miss the playoffs. Yegor Rykov was slotted to make the team out of camp last year until his injury.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
When we're talking about quality over quantity in the draft, sometimes the best shot at quality is to have a higher quantity of shots at it.

True unless there is a guy you like way better than where he’s available.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Me and Rasp were just talking about how this team is in a weird spot where they have plenty of grit but it's all useless. Our coach also loves useless grit.

We have a lineup of guys who #hustle out of position to bump into somebody after the puck is gone and do stupid shit after the whistle blows, but we have no f***ing clue what a cycle is and nobody but Kreider or Fast has thrown a useful hit in about five years.

I understand why people want grit and I respect that Quinn tries to instill that, but "do useless shit harder and faster" ain't it.
Hey now. Buch has thrown plenty of useful hits. Like the one on Marchand

Reactions: Vaheh

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Lost me after this team has plenty of grit.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
he’s right that they don’t have useful grit.

we’re probably going to be losing only guy in the lineup that brought it consistently.

but our FO knows this.
Another reason getting Lafreniere is going to be great. He's a guy that'll really step on the gas when things aren't going 100% his way

Reactions: leetch99

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Howden during his last year in Juniors legit looked like a player.

He was probably thrusted into the NHL a bit too soon, though he held his own at the start before gassing out/getting hurt. Took a massive step backwards last year which is worrisome as his rookie campaign wasn't great either.

Theres a glimmer of hope because the tools are there to carve out a useful player and I don't think he's as dumb as he's played so far either. If he can commit to getting stronger, going to the paint more frequently and learning how to play the boards, the complaints will end. Still don't think that makes him any more than a borderline 3rd line player, but thats a million times better than what he currently is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad