Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LII

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The team with the least amount of resources put towards analytics won the cup last year, meanwhile the Leafs can't get out of the first round, go figure.

Then you have teams like LA and Chicago which have been very analytic heavy.

Goes both ways. For the record, I don't think that analytics people should be at the head of a front office, but they definitely should be involved. Why turn down the analysis of information if it helps make better decisions?

Also where did you see that St. Louis invests the least amount of resources into analytics? I figured it'd be the Rangers, since they still think Staal is good.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If the team is looking at add more north-south guys this off-season I'd kick the tires on Max Jones out in Anaheim. Size, skating, and physical play but was also a strong PKer in Junior. Seems to be getting more ice time there with the Ducks but could be a nice bottom six addition. Has a hell of a shot as well.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
If the team is looking at add more north-south guys this off-season I'd kick the tires on Max Jones out in Anaheim. Size, skating, and physical play but was also a strong PKer in Junior. Seems to be getting more ice time there with the Ducks but could be a nice bottom six addition. Has a hell of a shot as well.
I wouldn't mind Max Jones although I wish he was a RW instead of a LW. he is another type of forward that this organization lacks.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

He's also a little bit crazy which I'm not against adding. It's one of the reasons I've been pushing Greig with the Rangers 2nd 1st.

Reactions: Trxjw

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I think the Rangers free agent target on defense is obvious. If I’m Gorton, I’m signing Joel Edmundon. He’s solid defensively, just won a cup with the Blues, and shows up in big moments. He’s likely to cost in the $3-4m range on a 2-3 year deal. Bring him in. Seems to be exactly what this team needs while we see what’s there with Miller and Robertson.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I think the Rangers free agent target on defense is obvious. If I’m Gorton, I’m signing Joel Edmundon. He’s solid defensively, just won a cup with the Blues, and shows up in big moments. He’s likely to cost in the $3-4m range on a 2-3 year deal. Bring him in. Seems to be exactly what this team needs while we see what’s there with Miller and Robertson.
I like Edmundson. He’s not going to get big money or contract length because of the flat cap. Could be the guy.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Lets say we have the 23rd pick, and NSH is targeting someone at the end of the 1st, they offer the 37th & the 40th, or LA same thing, offers the 35th & the 49th. DET, 32nd & 56th...ETC, I'd say its largely dependent on whos still left on the board but it'd be hard for me to pass on those tbh
Let’s say the Rangers end up at 22 and the Bruins lose to Tampa. That would give Anaheim #27 (they have Boston’s pick) and #36. That could be the starting point for a deal.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Where would a team like this finish next year?

bottom 5?
Just miss playoffs?
Playoff bound?

Panarin - Chytil - Kakko
Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Lafreniere - Henriksson - Kravtsov
Lemieux - Howden - Gauthier

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Trouba
deAngelo - Hajek

Shestorkin
Georgiev

*Smith, Lettieri, Haley (basically vets so no kids sit)

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Where would a team like this finish next year?

bottom 5?
Just miss playoffs?
Playoff bound?

Panarin - Chytil - Kakko
Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Lafreniere - Henriksson - Kravtsov
Lemieux - Howden - Gauthier

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Trouba
deAngelo - Hajek

Shestorkin
Georgiev

*Smith, Lettieri, Haley (basically vets so no kids sit)
Probably between bottom 5 and just miss the playoffs. No idea why they would want to take such a step back.

Reactions: Elliman

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Probably between bottom 5 and just miss the playoffs. No idea why they would want to take such a step back.

they wouldn’t.... I’m just curious what this board would think if we added no additions except Lafreniere and the UFA/RFA/Bad contracts vets are let go / traded with no roster players coming back.

Reactions: Thirty One

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
The thing I hate about Zac Jones is that he has two names: Zac and Zachary, but neither are two syllables so I can't sing his name to the tune of "Dr. Jones" by Aqua.

Reactions: Trxjw

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It would be somewhat ironic to sign Edmundson who was the captain at Moose Jaw during the time McIlrath was there. One player was taken 10th while the other 48th. I’m sure the Rangers scouts know him from watching Dylan.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Let’s say the Rangers end up at 22 and the Bruins lose to Tampa. That would give Anaheim #27 (they have Boston’s pick) and #36. That could be the starting point for a deal.

Honestly, I feel like if the (let's say #22) is in play, I think it's for an NHL player and not for more picks or as a package with Georgiev, or whoever, for a better NHL player. A lot is contingent on Staal and Lundqvist retiring or not and my bet is that neither does - which will put a lot of holes in off season fantasies unfortunately.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

They have too many defensemen now. Smith, Staal, Lindgren, Trouba, Fox, Deangelo, Hajek, Miller are all looking for ice. I don't see us making a move on defense until the Smith and Staal contracts expire unless Deangelo or Strome are traded for a ld.

Last edited:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I like Edmundson. He’s not going to get big money or contract length because of the flat cap. Could be the guy.
Him and Dillon should be good inexpensive short term contracts imo. Edmundson will be cheaper than Dillon i would think

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
They have too many defensemen now. Smith, Staal, Lindgren, Trouba, Fox, Deangelo, Hajek, Miller are all looking for ice. I don't see us making a move on defense until the Smith and Staal contracts expire unless Deangelo or Strome are traded for a ld.

hajek sucks. It’s doubtful Miller is ready. I wouldn’t consider them guys that need ice time.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

depending who is on the board at 22 that would be a deal to consider if on the table...still get a 1st and add a 2nd instead of some of the other ideas that have us dropping out of the 1st to get 2 2nds.

although an early 2nd is a huge price to jump up a few spots...if there is a player there worth that price for the ducks, we might want to just take that guy lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad