Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part II: Anything Goes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Stepan playing against Crosby, Stamkos, Kopitar, Bergeron, McDavid, Tavares, Barkov etc is a big difference from Miller playing against 3rd liners. Yes, he has better linemates, but they also play against better players.

And Stepan is a much better player overall than Miller. If you take cap-hit into account, that levels it a bit, but in my opinion not enough when you see what Stepan contributes defensively. Miller on the PK is not something I want to see. The whole "powerkill" hype I never understood.

Miller is a good player, but with his insanely high s% this year, which was close to Draisaitl, Crosby, Malkin, and even higher than Kucherov, people have to realize it is highly unlikely he can keep that up

Hes done this 2 seasons in a row now.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Shooting percentage often says a lot more about the types of shots a player is liable to take rather than their actual shooting ability.

Prucha had a mediocre shot and still shot 23% his first season.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Stepan playing against Crosby, Stamkos, Kopitar, Bergeron, McDavid, Tavares, Barkov etc is a big difference from Miller playing against 3rd liners. Yes, he has better linemates, but they also play against better players.

And Stepan is a much better player overall than Miller. If you take cap-hit into account, that levels it a bit, but in my opinion not enough when you see what Stepan contributes defensively. Miller on the PK is not something I want to see. The whole "powerkill" hype I never understood.

Miller is a good player, but with his insanely high s% this year, which was close to Draisaitl, Crosby, Malkin, and even higher than Kucherov, people have to realize it is highly unlikely he can keep that up

so the whole article and studies people constantly show...that QOC means nothing compared to QOT...only applies to Girardi, not to Stepan? Got it.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Would you give up Skjei, Bucherov, 1st for MacKinnon?

Buchnevich*

The value there seems good, but I'd have to give it a real long think.

Buchnevich still may turn out to be a bust (This is a larger possibility than many people would like to acknowledge), and Skjei's ceiling may be a 2nd pairing guy

But at the same time Mackinnon has hardly been a franchise center in the mold of a Tavares, Matthews or Crosby. He's more a non-star 1A.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
1 fan was ready to give the entire team for Hertl. The same fan who thinks Nieves is a first line center and that Marc Staal should move to left wing.

Just because the homeless man under the bridge is shouting that the aliens are coming doesn't mean we should all hide in our basements.
LOL I betcha it wouldn't save us anyhow...

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
1 fan was ready to give the entire team for Hertl. The same fan who thinks Nieves is a first line center and that Marc Staal should move to left wing.

Just because the homeless man under the bridge is shouting that the aliens are coming doesn't mean we should all hide in our basements.

I-am-not-saying.jpg

Last edited:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
When did this year long debate about Stepan's goal production happen? I feel like every Stepan defense is about things very few people, if any, are actually griping about.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I don't think people dislike Stepan because he scores less this year.

They dislike him because they are slow and are under the impression that in order to win you need to roster the 12 fastest skaters possible and a slow skater can not be a good player.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
When did this year long debate about Stepan's goal production happen? I feel like every Stepan defense is about things very few people, if any, are actually griping about.

Not a Stepan conversation, per se, but more a shooting % conversation, and how we perceive value on players with high sh% vs low sh%. Stepan is just a good example of perception after a low shooting % year. Perhaps the gripes about Stepan have nothing to do with goals, but, if he shoots to his career %, he's a 60 point player, and maybe more people think he's that "1C".

Reilly Smith is another example.

TJ Oshie is a good example of the opposite (high sh% perception).

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Buchnevich*

The value there seems good, but I'd have to give it a real long think.

Buchnevich still may turn out to be a bust (This is a larger possibility than many people would like to acknowledge), and Skjei's ceiling may be a 2nd pairing guy

But at the same time Mackinnon has hardly been a franchise center in the mold of a Tavares, Matthews or Crosby. He's more a non-star 1A.

7th + DeAngelo should be fair. :sarcasm:

I think that is a bit too much to give up for MacKinnon for my liking. The value isn't too terrible. I dunno.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I think people dislike Stepan because he was admittedly bad in the playoffs on top of not having a great year.

My biggest problem is that he doesn't look like an athlete that values strength and conditioning and that in 7 years in the league, he never bothered to improve his skating.

If Brian Boyle can go from being a dumpster fire to a respectable skater, why couldn't Stepan?

Goal scoring isn't my problem with him. It's his lacksadaisical approach to conditioning (clearly a problem this season and his skating). That's a guy that's supposed to be in a leadership role as well, which is scary.

Part of the reason why I think he was traded.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I think people dislike Stepan because he was admittedly bad in the playoffs on top of not having a great year.

My biggest problem is that he doesn't look like an athlete that values strength and conditioning and that in 7 years in the league, he never bothered to improve his skating.

If Brian Boyle can go from being a dumpster fire to a respectable skater, why couldn't Stepan?

Goal scoring isn't my problem with him. It's his lacksadaisical approach to conditioning (clearly a problem this season and his skating). That's a guy that's supposed to be in a leadership role as well, which is scary.

Phil Kessel doesn't look like an athlete that values strength and conditioning.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Not a Stepan conversation, per se, but more a shooting % conversation, and how we perceive value on players with high sh% vs low sh%. Stepan is just a good example of perception after a low shooting % year. Perhaps the gripes about Stepan have nothing to do with goals, but, if he shoots to his career %, he's a 60 point player, and maybe more people think he's that "1C".

Reilly Smith is another example.

TJ Oshie is a good example of the opposite (high sh% perception).

Here's the thing... Stepan, at age 27, has never reached 60 points... Every year he's had an excuse. 1st it was "he's a rookie/sophomore" then it was "he's holding out he deserves more money" then it was "he broke his leg"... Now it's "he's 27"....

What's happening is that the excuses, in themselves individually, aren't all that terrible, but there's been a reason every year that's stopped stepan from reaching 60 points. Stepan is very much a toews-lite player, and I believe that he's got maybe 1 more good year left in him before he plataeu's, then starts a steady decline.

Like rangerboy is always saying -- trade a player a year early rather than a year late. In a weak draft, stepan + a backup goalie brought back a 7th overall pick + a top rated offensive defenseman prospect. What happens when, in a year from now, stepan has another 50-55 pt year, is now 28 years old, with an active No Trade Clause, in a draft that is much stronger.... I'll bet that at that point stepan brings back maybe an established middle pair defenseman and a 3rd/4th round pick.

Is it worth the difference in returns? For one more year or Stepan? (Granted I know my trade values are hypotheticals)....

I think not. They made the right choice moving stepan

McDonagh27

Aug 3, 2005
Canada

True, but he is not asked to be the man in Pittsburgh. That's Crosby and Malkin's job. Stepan was essentially the player supposed to lead us offensively, and he underwhelmed, especially in the playoffs.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

Yeah, it's unfair to judge Stepan's conditioning based on how he looks.

The fact that he has been a top 6 NHL center who has played into the playoffs all but 1 season in his career should tell you his conditioning is just fine.

As for his skating, he's not a fast skater, but he is a strong skater. Not sure why people seem to think he's a bad skater just because he's around average to below average speed wise. He's solid on his skates with good balance, has strong pivots and knows how to use his feet down low in the o zone to maximize his effectiveness. I think Stepan is a strong skater, he's just slow and you can't teach speed.

Plus, to think Stepan hasn't worked on his skating or doesn't value conditioning is asinine projection at its finest.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Boyle had room for growth with his skating, Stepan has gotten everything he can out of what he has.

Dude has had a skating coach since he was 14. He isn't a bad skater at all in the technical sense, hes just slow and trust me, the lack of foot speed is not from a lack of effort.

I don't know why people have brought up the conditioning aspect. Are you guys tracking his blood oxygen levels after every shift?

Also Kessel isn't fat, he has a fat face.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
True, but he is not asked to be the man in Pittsburgh. That's Crosby and Malkin's job. Stepan was essentially the player supposed to lead us offensively, and he underwhelmed, especially in the playoffs.

He looks like his middle name is cheeseburger.

However, he's highly skilled and his skating is world class.

My point is, let's not judge a hockey player by how they might look.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Here's the thing... Stepan, at age 27, has never reached 60 points... Every year he's had an excuse. 1st it was "he's a rookie/sophomore" then it was "he's holding out he deserves more money" then it was "he broke his leg"... Now it's "he's 27"....

What's happening is that the excuses, in themselves individually, aren't all that terrible, but there's been a reason every year that's stopped stepan from reaching 60 points. Stepan is very much a toews-lite player, and I believe that he's got maybe 1 more good year left in him before he plataeu's, then starts a steady decline.

Like rangerboy is always saying -- trade a player a year early rather than a year late. In a weak draft, stepan + a backup goalie brought back a 7th overall pick + a top rated offensive defenseman prospect. What happens when, in a year from now, stepan has another 50-55 pt year, is now 28 years old, with an active No Trade Clause, in a draft that is much stronger.... I'll bet that at that point stepan brings back maybe an established middle pair defenseman and a 3rd/4th round pick.

Is it worth the difference in returns? For one more year or Stepan? (Granted I know my trade values are hypotheticals)....

I think not. They made the right choice moving stepan

Maybe. I disagree, but, I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again.

The question boils down to whether or not you think Stepan is one of the league's top-31 centers. I do. Some people don't. If you don't, you like the trade. If you do, you don't like the trade.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad