Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part II: Anything Goes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
As always these twitter guys twists and turns everything to fit their agenda.

Didn't Buch pretty perfectly describe his season? Started well, missed a lot of time to injury, then struggled a bit to get back?

Exactly. The injuries were his fault too considering he came into camp with poor core strength. The full offseason with Prentiss should help him. He already has the tantalizing talent and insane potential. He just needs the body to go with it.

I'm super excited for him this season.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I am shocked that another younger player doesn't like AV's garbage usage of them

Shocked

Next season's contestants in AV's game will be:

1) DeAngelo
2) Bereglazov

Nice to see him finally called out on his ********. I think with Ruff coming in this year, AV's either going to realize his seat is warm, or he's going to be ignorant and hang himself with the rope Gorton gave him

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Didn't Buch pretty perfectly describe his season? Started well, missed a lot of time to injury, then struggled a bit to get back?

I agree with you. That is much adu about nothing. Buch played in a overwhelming majority of games he was healthy to play in with few healthy scratches. Most of our team plays with different linemates as the season goes on.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Herman is pretty confrontational on twitter for whatever reason

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Exactly. The injuries were his fault too considering he came into camp with poor core strength. The full offseason with Prentiss should help him. He already has the tantalizing talent and insane potential. He just needs the body to go with it.

I'm super excited for him this season.

I thought he trained with Prentiss last year too. I hesitate to say stuff like "it's his fault!", to some extent it could have been a freak thing. Hell, he could have tweaked something in the summer working out

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Thinking Glass was a better choice to play in the playoffs than Buchnevich was just another foolish decision by this coach/mgmt.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Thinking Glass was a better choice to play in the playoffs than Buchnevich was just another foolish decision by this coach/mgmt.

They helped our team in different ways. We needed some physical play we got from Glass (7games-4pts) and we needed some things we got from Buch (5 games-1pt) as well.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I thought he trained with Prentiss last year too. I hesitate to say stuff like "it's his fault!", to some extent it could have been a freak thing. Hell, he could have tweaked something in the summer working out

He did, but now they've had a year to correct his prior issues and can build from there. Get him working out with Kreider and Miller and then bulking up a bit.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
Perception is reality my friends. There isn't a single criticism of AV in that Buchnevich quote.

Everyone hates AV though.

The next NHL coach whose fanbase doesn't complain about player usage will be the first.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Everyone hates AV though.

The next NHL coach whose fanbase doesn't complain about player usage will be the first.

Some hated Torts, Renney, Keenan, Brooks, Shero, etc so I guess that is the way it goes. Full disclosure I did not like Torts or Ted Sator.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Slava Malamud went on a little rant about how Lundy Ruff is apparently the devil to Russians.

If true, Bereglazov is going to have some interesting experiences.

Last edited:

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Slava Malamud went on a little rant about how Lundy Ruff is apparently the devil to Russians.

If true, Bereglazov is going to have some interesting experiences.

Wasn't Ruff the reason Nichushkin left/refused to play for Dallas? Wasn't Nichushkin also expecting to be handed top 6 ice time or something along those lines?

That aside, Malamud said Afinogenov and Kalinin despised him. Yet they stayed on the team for 10 and 8 years respectively, and they were 2 of the like 6 or 7 Russians Ruff coached on the Sabres and the only 2 from Buffalo that had anything bad to say about him (apparently). I'd take this "Russian killer" stuff with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Wasn't Ruff the reason Nichushkin left/refused to play for Dallas? Wasn't Nichushkin also expecting to be handed top 6 ice time or something along those lines?

That aside, Malamud said Afinogenov and Kalinin despised him. Yet they stayed on the team for 10 and 8 years respectively, and they were 2 of the like 6 or 7 Russians Ruff coached on the Sabres and the only 2 from Buffalo that had anything bad to say about him (apparently). I'd take this "Russian killer" stuff with a grain of salt.

There's a former AGM that was burnt by the Russian factor and avoided taking Russian players and his old org avoided taking Russians in the draft due to those talented players not coming to NA... when he joined his new org as a GM they took a few talented kids but he traded a few of them away fearing the KHL contract issues.

It wasn't a matter of culture as much as not having leverage, both of these teams were small market teams that didn't have the bank roll to be able to compete with a SKA St. Petersburg.

You can't blame the player for wanting more money and getting it, and you can't blame the GM for taking preventative measures in order to not lose the asset.

Sometimes it's also the agent GM relationship... people would be surprised how often this plays a role. Larionov is chills with Stevie Y from their DET days.. you don't see the Russian factor being a problem with Tampa.

Lou Lams was great to the guys that wanted to cross over from the Soviet days, and you see there are no issues for TOR when it comes to taking kids from there with their picks.

Other teams will have such considerations, it's a matter of opportunity, both in terms or money and NHL playing time.

Unlike other leagues, the KHL can pay more than the NHL for certain guys. Well certain KHL teams. That's what makes it a player by player situation.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
When it comes to young players, AV believes in tough love. Nothing is given; everything must be earned and earned over time. Mistakes are a chance for education, reflection and growth. Trust must be earned.

Believe me, sometimes I am as frustrated as many of you with how little ice time young players get. But I understand what he is doing and have come to appreciate the fact that in the long run, it makes for more well-rounded players who can be trusted in every situation.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
When it comes to young players, AV believes in tough love. Nothing is given; everything must be earned and earned over time. Mistakes are a chance for education, reflection and growth. Trust must be earned.

Believe me, sometimes I am as frustrated as many of you with how little ice time young players get. But I understand what he is doing and have come to appreciate the fact that in the long run, it makes for more well-rounded players who can be trusted in every situation.

And in the short run it can help you lose playoff series...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad