Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part I: Summer Wind

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Looks like Leaf fans are cool with Bozak for Holden and a 2nd round pick. Thoughts guys?

They're probably crunching their numbers and looking at their defense. I'd try Holden and a 2nd rounder in 2019...they already have SJ's 2nd rounder next year.
Not sure if a Bozak or any other trade gets done before Zib is locked up and they look at whats remaining.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Bozak for Holden and a 2nd would basically be Bozak for a 2nd round pick, seeing as Holden will have no use to the Rangers this year outside of being the 7th defenseman.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Bozak is owed 4.2M I'd like Toronto to take on 1M of that. Bozak @ 3.2M is a nice player to have.

He's a free agent so its a one season commitment, cap really doesn't matter all that much in this instance. They wouldn't be able to do anything else regardless even if they did retain 1M.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I want MacKinnon :cry:

Imagine...

Nash - MacKinnon - Zuccarello
Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Miller - Hayes - Vesey
Grabner - Dasharnais - Fast

McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Skjei - Smith
Bereglazov - DeAngelo

Lundqvist
Pavelec

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
I want MacKinnon :cry:

Imagine...

Miller - Hayes - Vesey

McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Skjei - Smith
Bereglazov - DeAngelo

Lundqvist
Pavelec

I'm sure Colorado is pretty excited to deal Mckinnon with Staal as the only NHLer coming back.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
:laugh:

I didn't mean Staal would be part of the deal, I just have Staal below Bear Gloves on the depth-chart. I was thinking something along the lines of Shestyorkin & picks. Maybe Hayes as well

Hayes was in your lineup. That package isn't getting you Mckinnon. You are looking at Skjei, miller and a 1st just to start a conversation about it.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Bozak for Holden and a 2nd would basically be Bozak for a 2nd round pick, seeing as Holden will have no use to the Rangers this year outside of being the 7th defenseman.

If you take a step back for a second though...

Nick Holden is coming off a 34 point season. That's ranked #45, or a #2 defeseman's offensive production in a season where he didn't provide anything on the powerplay. NYR had both he and Skjei who put up inordinate even strength points.

We know his inconsistent game, but he'd be the best #7 option we'd had in decades. Holden far surpassed guys like Eminger, Strudwick, Pock. He has actual trade value such that we protected him in the expansion draft.

So, think of yourself as a fan, or even a GM, of another team. You see 1.65 million Nick Holden with 34 points, ED protected. Does he have value to you? I'd venture he does to a lot of GMs. And, to be fair, if he sticks around the odds are he is a pretty damn good #6 option.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
:laugh:

I didn't mean Staal would be part of the deal, I just have Staal below Bear Gloves on the depth-chart. I was thinking something along the lines of Shestyorkin & picks. Maybe Hayes as well

At this stage Shestyorkin looks like a sure-fire NHL starter/potential star. Our current goalie is almost ready to be put out to pasture (based on the last year and a half). Not exactly ideal timing.

To be able to slide from one elite goalie into another with no Dunham/Cloutier/Hebert etc etc etc would be fantastic.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I like it.

We don't need anything crazy, just a solid 2C. Bozak is that.

Yup. We just need a 2C/3C tweener who can flip flop with Hayes.

If the plan is for Zbad to step up and be the 1C, then it makes sense to bring someone in to insulate Hayes somewhat.

People complaining about an acquisition like Bozak, I understand he or any comparable add wouldn't be an ideal player, but the point is to get center depth. There is zero chance the Rangers trade for someone like MacKinnon so I'm not sure why people keep suggesting it. Since we can't get that elite top end guy, the only other option is try and build similar depth to what we've had over the years of success.

Think 2013-14 Rangers:

Stepan
Brassard
Richards
Boyle

2014-15 Rangers:

Stepan
Brassard
Hayes
Moore

That's depth. That's what we need. Adding a player like Bozak would be great to get that depth back up to par.

Zibanejad
Hayes
Bozak
Desharnais

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Holden and a 3rd is probably the most I am comfortable with for Bozak

It's too bad JVR is too pricey for Holden, would love him on JT's wing

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I want MacKinnon

Imagine...

Miller - Hayes - Vesey

McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Skjei - Smith
Bereglazov - DeAngelo

Lundqvist
Pavelec

I hope me and Rooney Mara are back from our honeymoon in time for opening night. :sarcasm:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
You know who would be the absolute most perfect ****ing fit for this team? Eric Staal.

Signed for 3.5.

I'll see myself out.

The league has changed, I saw 2 or 3 games in the POs with Minny. It wasn't just a slow Derek Stepan who was worthless for us. Slow 6'4 Eric Staal was absolutely horrible for Minny, basically worst player on the ice both teams included. 0+1 in 5 games. Slow 6'3 Mikki Koivu was 1+1. Ton of PP time and offensive shifts for them.

I wouldn't touch Staal at 3.5m. I would take him over DD, but he is just too slow to play 5 on 5 in the POs.

Some guys were talking about Dan Winnik, good character, hard worker. Clutch. In the last handful of years he is 0+3 in like 50-60 PO games. Without any doubt, I would much rather play Miller at center than having Eric Staal there.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You know who would be the absolute most perfect ****ing fit for this team? Eric Staal.

Signed for 3.5.

I'll see myself out.

no, but...
that may be the funniest punchline of the thread:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Looks like Leaf fans are cool with Bozak for Holden and a 2nd round pick. Thoughts guys?
I continue no.
Holden is worth more to us in trade return than as piece for meh-ish return
we can easy flip him for a third, and IMO he can fetch a 2nd.
add to that, say a 4th OR a third,
and you should be able to bump that into a high 2nd or a late 1st
that's the ticket

Bozak, were he UFA, I would take over a guy like DD
not saying much
but I'm not spending assets on HIM
if I'm consuming trade resources, I want a better return

They're probably crunching their numbers and looking at their defense. I'd try Holden and a 2nd rounder in 2019...they already have SJ's 2nd rounder next year.
Not sure if a Bozak or any other trade gets done before Zib is locked up and they look at whats remaining.

If you take a step back for a second though...

Nick Holden is coming off a 34 point season. That's ranked #45, or a #2 defeseman's offensive production in a season where he didn't provide anything on the powerplay. NYR had both he and Skjei who put up inordinate even strength points.

We know his inconsistent game, but he'd be the best #7 option we'd had in decades. Holden far surpassed guys like Eminger, Strudwick, Pock. He has actual trade value such that we protected him in the expansion draft.

So, think of yourself as a fan, or even a GM, of another team. You see 1.65 million Nick Holden with 34 points, ED protected. Does he have value to you? I'd venture he does to a lot of GMs. And, to be fair, if he sticks around the odds are he is a pretty damn good #6 option.

Holden for SJ's 2nd rounder

The league has changed, I saw 2 or 3 games in the POs with Minny. It wasn't just a slow Derek Stepan who was worthless for us. Slow 6'4 Eric Staal was absolutely horrible for Minny, basically worst player on the ice both teams included. 0+1 in 5 games. Slow 6'3 Mikki Koivu was 1+1. Ton of PP time and offensive shifts for them.

I wouldn't touch Staal at 3.5m
. I would take him over DD, but he is just too slow to play 5 on 5 in the POs.

Some guys were talking about Dan Winnik, good character, hard worker. Clutch. In the last handful of years he is 0+3 in like 50-60 PO games. Without any doubt, I would much rather play Miller at center than having Eric Staal there.

concur
speed kills, usually
and not just in hockey

would not take still slow if not slower ES over diminutive DD, who I would not have signed,
I wanted Pitlick

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Here's an original thought [not aware this ever brought up]

someone mentioned Stastny
I said Nash, though not a C and assumed to be W only, better than Stastny
so if SLB pay us to flip, fine.
Then deal Stastny at TDL

what if we kept Nash half the year and strategically used him as a C?
Then, as depth kicks in and better options emerge, we move him instead at TDL?

My inclination is our pivot depth is adequate at min esp for short term, so trade older vets w/higher contracts/extension concerns - Nash, Zuc, McD - and do so sooner than later for best returns

That said, Nash has the athleticism to handle pivot...
do we want to consider that angle?

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Here's an original thought [not aware this ever brought up]

someone mentioned Stastny
I said Nash, though not a C and assumed to be W only, better than Stastny
so if SLB pay us to flip, fine.
Then deal Stastny at TDL

what if we kept Nash half the year and strategically used him as a C?
Then, as depth kicks in and better options emerge, we move him instead at TDL?

My inclination is our pivot depth is adequate at min esp for short term, so trade older vets w/higher contracts/extension concerns - Nash, Zuc, McD - and do so sooner than later for best returns

That said, Nash has the athleticism to handle pivot...
do we want to consider that angle?

:shakehead

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If the Leafs want a 2nd for Bozak, I'd pass. Not moving picks for a guy like Bozak with only one year of term left. It's a pointless throw-away of another high pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad