Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part I: Summer Wind

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
my gut feeling is that the chances are WAY higher than most people think and its more likely to happen then him getting traded. obviously he'd have to sign for alot less but he's not getting big $$ from anywhere on his next deal

I think it has almost as much to do with how the team plays than Nash himself. It is only early July. If a big move is made Nash still might have to be included if only for salary cap reasons alone.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The decision has to be made on every player. Some players you bite the bullet on the long term deal into their mid 30s. Other players you trade rather than give them that deal. It's a hard thing to get right, but something that GMs have to consider.

Karlsson is one of the best dmen in the league. If he is still playing at the same level in 2 years, I'm sure Ottawa will re-sign him. Would he sign a 4 or 5 year deal?

Look at what SJ has done with Thornton. His current contract is for 1 year. His last 4 contracts before that were all 3 year deals. He has made roughly the same money on all 4 of those deals and has an even higher AAV on his newest deal. He has continued to play well and has continued to earn big money, but SJ has mitigated their risk by signing him to short term deals.

That's a great model for teams to follow. Maybe you don't sign all of your players to 3 year deals. Obviously you want to lock some up long term, especially good RFAs where you can save some on future caps by going long term, but as a player gets older, shorter term deals are better.

Washington just gave Oshie 8 years at age 30. That's going to be a problem in the future. We've seen way too many players decline in their early 30s.

I like that Gorton has only given 3-4 year contracts this offseason. I would be happy if we made that a team policy. Maybe for McD (if healthy and playing well) I'd give a 4 year extension with a 5th year as a team option.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn

I saw that article. What it fails to articulate is that the 5 D they have under contract (misleading, these are just the ones who were on the big club last season) are bouwmeester pietrangelo Edmundson gunnarson and bortuzzo. Parayko is an RFA they will sign at all costs. This was their top six last season. Add to these Butler and Schmaltz. Butler has been a 7 for them in the past, and Schmaltz should hit their third pair this season. They are totally set on D. They could be into moving Stastny, but they aren't interested in Holden. In fact, they'd probably like to move gunnarson or bouwmeester.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
That's a cap killing contract.

How is a contract that's ~10% of the cap a cap killer? That's not anything particularly new. There have been many many contracts at that level. Even just now there are already 14 players making 8+ (16 if you add in Price/McDavid)

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
How is a contract that's ~10% of the cap a cap killer? That's not anything particularly new. There have been many many contracts at that level. Even just now there are already 14 players making 8+ (16 if you add in Price/McDavid)

Because he is going to be 30-38 during that contract. You are paying for his post-prime years. That is the definitely of cap suicide.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Because he is going to be 30-38 during that contract. You are paying for his post-prime years. That is the definitely of cap suicide.

I'm sure we've given out worse contracts. he could take a nose dive like staal and g might as well not pay any of our soon to be free agents then huh:sarcasm:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Staal's cap hit is only about 7.5% of the cap.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Staal's cap hit is only about 7.5% of the cap.

Well I mean sure but Staal isn't good. What's that have to do with anything? We gave out a couple of bad long term contracts so now we should never give any because we're deathly afraid of another playing declining during it?

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
What's the cap going to be in the 2019-2020 season?

I would ask what it will be in 2024-26? McDonagh's last 3 years of an 8 year deal. Modest estimate of $90m. If Carolina or Florida move to Quebec, probably $100m. Higher if the coyotes move too.

There's things to negotiate. I wouldn't be surprised that shattenkirk took a year or 2 less for signing bonuses in the lock out year. If Mac re-signs before the next cba, he can sneak that provision in. Does that get his term down a year or 2?

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
What exactly is it that makes some of you think that McDoangh is guaranteed to get 8 years? Neither Staal nor Girardi got the full 8 years. Even Hank didn't get the full 8, he got 7 and he was literally the best player at his position in the entire league.

I wouldn't be surprised if McDonagh's extension is a 6 year deal. If he's still a legit #1 D and his play isn't slipping, what exactly would be wrong with giving him a 7.5x6 deal? He will deserve and and be worth it.

You don't have to move on from all players just because they're 30.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
What exactly is it that makes some of you think that McDoangh is guaranteed to get 8 years? Neither Staal nor Girardi got the full 8 years. Even Hank didn't get the full 8, he got 7 and he was literally the best player at his position in the entire league.

I wouldn't be surprised if McDonagh's extension is a 6 year deal. If he's still a legit #1 D and his play isn't slipping, what exactly would be wrong with giving him a 7.5x6 deal? He will deserve and and be worth it.

Exactly, thank you.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

I'd definitely give McD a 5-6 year deal worth 7.5-8 mil.

Rick Nash 61

The Best
Jul 6, 2014
New York
Let's say we end up getting a 3C-type center like Bozak or Spooner and not the #1 or 2 we're all hoping for, would anyone be down to take a flier on Thomas Vanek on like a 1-year deal? Scored 48pts in 68 games last season. I mean yeah our center depth still wouldn't be great but in terms of overall forward talent we would be really solid. And ultimately isn't the goal to have as much talent as possible?

An example of that lineup would be something like this:

Kreider - Zibby - Buch
Nash - Bozak - Zucc
Vanek - Hayes - Miller
Grabner - Desharnais - Fast/Vesey

With our improved defense which I believe is top-10, this forward group could also be top-10. That with Hank in the back and we're talking about a dangerous team.

EDIT: Fixed I'm so sorry Zucc ily. I don't know if this works anymore though, too many quality forwards. With that said, injuries would sort that out haha.

Last edited:

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Let's say we end up getting a 3C-type center like Bozak or Spooner and not the #1 or 2 we're all hoping for, would anyone be down to take a flier on Thomas Vanek on like a 1-year deal? Scored 48pts in 68 games last season. I mean yeah our center depth still wouldn't be great but in terms of overall forward talent we would be really solid. And ultimately isn't the goal to have as much talent as possible?

Kreider - Zibby - Buch
Nash - Bozak - Vanek
Grabner - Hayes - Miller
Vesey - Desharnais - Fast

With our improved defense which I believe is top-10, this forward group could also be top-10. That with Hank in the back and we're talking about a dangerous team.

What happened to Zucc?!?!

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016

Kreider - Zibby - Buch
Nash - Bozak - Vanek
Grabner - Hayes - Miller
Vesey - Desharnais - Fast

Zuccarello?

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Rangers are good at wing unless they have to move Miller to center.

If they don't have to move Miller to C then add a depth winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad