MZA-Hayes-Grabner
Vesey-Miller-Nash
Winnik-Desharnais-Jensen
Puempel

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'd look into flipping Holden for Ryan Spooner. I think he'd be a good fit in this system and he can slide out to wing if necessary. He has good pace and is a slippery play maker that can find guys in space. Seems like another guy the Bruins might sell low on because he doesn't fit in perfectly with their style of play.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'd look into flipping Holden for Ryan Spooner. I think he'd be a good fit in this system and he can slide out to wing if necessary. He has good pace and is a slippery play maker that can find guys in space. Seems like another guy the Bruins might sell low on because he doesn't fit in perfectly with their style of play.

I agree on this one. I'm a pretty big Spooner fan. Seems similar to Reilly Smith honestly.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He shot like 80% for a month. A third-rounder I could see. Spooner, or Bozak? Never.

I disagree, but I could be wrong.

I'm not talking a 1st rounder, but a 3rd + 4th? I think that's do-able for a guy who plays both sides and can play in all situations. He proved he is a solid #5 last year with the capability to move up and play more minutes if needed.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Holden had periods of inconsistency and he seemed to burn out at the end and was awful paired with Staal in the playoffs. That said for a $1.6 mil cap hit--11 goals and 34 points in 80 games with sometimes pretty decent defense and more often than not playing on the wrong side--that's not bad. IMO he'd be a good fit for a lot of teams. To me he's a good chip to try and trade. IMO he'd fit into the top four of a bunch of teams--they might be more mediocre non-playoff teams but even so.

On Winnik--nothing against him personally but he's 32--if you sign--it's for only one year and his playoff numbers are bad. 0 goals and 3 assists in 58 games. I mean Tanner Glass has 2 goals and 4 assists in 67. Just saying. Personally rather than sign him--I'd invite him to camp to see if he could win a job.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
He shot like 80% for a month. A third-rounder I could see. Spooner, or Bozak? Never.

We've seen examples of SH% being overvalued by GMs a lot of times before.

I think you're underrating how favorably GMs will look at his time with the Rangers.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I think you're underrating how favorably GMs will look at his time with the Rangers.

GM's and as well fans. Half of our fanbase was ready to give our entire team to San Jose in exchange for Hertl. He had an absurd shooting % for a few months. Since then he has come down to earth and is showing what he really is, a middle 6 forward.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'm not talking a 1st rounder, but a 3rd + 4th? I think that's do-able for a guy who plays both sides and can play in all situations. He proved he is a solid #5 last year with the capability to move up and play more minutes if needed.

Yeah, I totally agree that Holden's value is approx a 3rd or 4th round pick. But we're also throwing names like Bozak and Spooner, and I don't get that at all. Not without a pretty significant add from us.

I tend to overestimate GM competency, yes :)

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I would guess Holden has more value to GM's than we give him credit for

He's a 5/6 defenseman that plays both sides, and could move up to the top 4 in a pinch (wouldn't recommend but). And he's cheap

Hockey commentators were arguing last season Holden was the best acquisition Gorton made last summer, so I would assume GM's maybe feel similar

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Realistically, Holden is a 30 Year old undrafted player with one good season under his belt. Contract is affordable. Has good size. But, realistically what is his worth? 4th rounder, yes. 3rd rounder, possibly if a team really needs a guy.

He proved his worth in NY, but can he do it again? With Staal here still Holden will likely be buried on the depth chart.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
GM's and as well fans. Half of our fanbase was ready to give our entire team to San Jose in exchange for Hertl. He had an absurd shooting % for a few months. Since then he has come down to earth and is showing what he really is, a middle 6 forward.

not inaccurate.

However, highest offers were earlier on before he had at least 2 severe injuries I can remember, possibly more.

Last year he had severe knee issues

year before year before that, I might be wrong, but think it was some kind of severe abdominal /muscles strain/pull/tear

not sure about any concussions, etc

fair to upgrade his status now

however, pre injuries, he was a first liner, and he may yet eventually return to that form

then again, all injuries are to some extent a crap shoot

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
not inaccurate.

However, highest offers were earlier on before he had at least 2 severe injuries I can remember, possibly more.

Last year he had severe knee issues

year before year before that, I might be wrong, but think it was some kind of severe abdominal /muscles strain/pull/tear

not sure about any concussions, etc

fair to upgrade his status now

however, pre injuries, he was a first liner, and he may yet eventually return to that form

then again, all injuries are to some extent a crap shoot

None of the injuries have to do with him having an unsustainable shooting %. The guy you and others wanted to trade the farm for.

Shooting % can make meh players look good. Holden and Hertl are examples of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad