Speculation: Roster Building Thread: New Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Sure hope they give Jones a legit shot at that third pairing but Gallant does not seem the type that would like to run two young guys out there like that.

Me, I'd say lean on Schneider to PK and deal with that part of the depth and just try to not give the third pairing too many heavy minutes beyond that

Reactions: haveandare

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Jones said he gained 10 pounds of muscle.

That is big for him and good on him for putting in the work

Also said he was happy to be in Hartford for all of that time. Needed for his development.
Sure doesn't sound like a kid that "refused to play."

Looks like he was able to reflect on the season, realized he got pushed around defensively, and worked in the offseason to try and address that deficiency. He's saying all the right things at the moment.

If we want to have a viable PP2, we likely need him on the roster. I don't think Miller has it in him to be a PPQB, and no one else in the pipeline can do what Jones can in that spot. We saw what happened when PP2 had to run through Trouba. It wasn't pretty. I understand the need for size on D, but I think Jones brings a critical puck-moving element, as well as being a potential PP2QB.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If we want to have a viable PP2, we likely need him on the roster. I don't think Miller has it in him to be a PPQB, and no one else in the pipeline can do what Jones can in that spot. We saw what happened when PP2 had to run through Trouba. It wasn't pretty. I understand the need for size on D, but I think Jones brings a critical puck-moving element, as well as being a potential PP2QB.
PP2 doesn't get enough time to worry about it. Trouba is capable. He was a key player on the PP in Winnipeg the year he put up 50 points. Trouba is more of a shooter than passer, but we have lots of players who can pass the puck.

68Forever

Sep 2, 2008
Queens, NY
Jones said he gained 10 pounds of muscle.

That is big for him and good on him for putting in the work

Also said he was happy to be in Hartford for all of that time. Needed for his development.
I think Laf, Kakk, and Kravy will all say the same thing. At this age with good eating and training they should all be putting on that kind of weight each offseason... Key and Braden too

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I wish these Europeans (Andersson, Lundkvist etc ) would have the mindset that Jones and well Chytil had when both went down to the AHL, Chytil never requested to go back to Europe. Get rid of these talented players with no character or work ethic. I can’t wait until Kravtsov goes back to the KHL when he isnt get PP time he thinks he deserves.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I wish these Europeans (Andersson, Lundkvist etc ) would have the mindset that Jones and well Chytil had when both went down to the AHL, Chytil never requested to go back to Europe. Get rid of these talented players with no character or work ethic. I can’t wait until Kravtsov goes back to the KHL when he isnt get PP time he thinks he deserves.

I do think there's an element of underestimating the transition to the NA style of game and that they think "I'm coming from the best league in my country, one of the best in the world, I don't need to go down to the "junior league" but it's just not a direct transition. If they felt stashed in the AHL and unable to progress to the NHL, sure, but I think a lot of these guys would benefit from some AHL time to adjust to what NA style coaches want and how the NA style game is played, with less time and space to make plays and opponents on you so fast

but...it is what it is. I get not wanting to get stuck down there but if the thing holding you back is adjustment to the NA style of game you're not going to improve on that by going back to the Swedish league or something

Reactions: Beer League Sniper

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
PP2 doesn't get enough time to worry about it. Trouba is capable. He was a key player on the PP in Winnipeg the year he put up 50 points. Trouba is more of a shooter than passer, but we have lots of players who can pass the puck.
I have no issue with Trouba being a shooting option on PP2, but having the PP run through him is a mistake. You need someone up top who can distribute the puck and break down the PKers with smart puck movement.

And aside from the PP, we don't have anyone on our D corps outside of Fox that really excels at moving the puck. Not that our other defenders are bad at puckmoving, but it's definitely not a "plus skill" for them. We need to spend less time in our zone this season, and having a player that can generate quick transition on D is important.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I do think there's an element of underestimating the transition to the NA style of game and that they think "I'm coming from the best league in my country, one of the best in the world, I don't need to go down to the "junior league" but it's just not a direct transition. If they felt stashed in the AHL and unable to progress to the NHL, sure, but I think a lot of these guys would benefit from some AHL time to adjust to what NA style coaches want and how the NA style game is played, with less time and space to make plays and opponents on you so fast

but...it is what it is. I get not wanting to get stuck down there but if the thing holding you back is adjustment to the NA style of game you're not going to improve on that by going back to the Swedish league or something
I think being able to give these guys a larger percentage of their ELC as a signing bonus would help. Aren't they capped at 10%. That's like $300k on a 3-year ELC. Enough to keep them satisfied for maybe half a season, but any longer than that and they probably start to get pissed that they could be making more money at home.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
PP2s should just be focused on shot generation. PP1 has lots of time to set up schemes, elaborate play combinations, etc.

If PP2 is out there with like 35 seconds to go, as per usual, they shouldn't be worried about anything other than getting the puck to the point, shot/screen and look for rebounds. There isn't gonna be a Mika/Panarin hammer time one timer goal all that often from the second unit.

Reactions: Kaapo Cabana

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Sure hope they give Jones a legit shot at that third pairing but Gallant does not seem the type that would like to run two young guys out there like that.

Me, I'd say lean on Schneider to PK and deal with that part of the depth and just try to not give the third pairing too many heavy minutes beyond that

I think they will. Both guys are young but Jones already has basically a season worth of pro experience between HFD & NY, and Schneider was trusted enough to stay in the lineup through a deep playoff run in his rookie year. The alternative is Hajek winning the 6D spot which I would say is highly unlikely considering the fact that he was a complete after thought last year. Id guess Hajek finally gets waived if they are able to acquire a competent veteran 6-7 D in training camp.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
knowing the Rangers luck they’ll give Subban a PTO 🤮 especially with all the good dman off the PTO market.

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Yeah it seems like it, but somewhere I still think it’s relevant to take into account that — if — Jones-Schneider was our 3rd pairing, would they have held up against Tampa? If we route Tampa, would they have held up for a final?

I love Schneider and is immensely impressed by him — but he was pressured hard during the POs. It’s a different animal. Gallant knows that.

When Gallant opts to go with Nemeth and Braun and guys like that, is it because he unconditionally wants a big vet there or just because he takes one look at Zac Jones and sees a first year pro who at times will be physically dominated at times and who obviously is a bit fresh in many ways — and clearly just feels that this is not what he is comfortable with?

I mean, if Gallant said that, worded it like ‘I could see Jones on a 3rd pairing in the future, he is a good prospect who could have a really good future, but he is a first year pro and have a lot of things to learn before he is ready to take on the challenge of a NHL POs’ — it’s not like any of us really could say that he was wrong, right?

At the bottom line, I don’t know. Perhaps Gallant really does like a big 3rd pairing that will focus on PK and what not. But I don’t think his body of work in NY absolutely must show that. Could be other explanations.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I think Laf, Kakk, and Kravy will all say the same thing. At this age with good eating and training they should all be putting on that kind of weight each offseason... Key and Braden too
I dont think laf was getting pushed around, neither was kakko. Those two needed to add speed not muscle.
Both of them are already strong enough to play down low.

Kakko needed to work on his shot and speed.
Laf just getting a little more explosive and if he adds some more top end speed great.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
There is a less than zero % chance they are inviting a guy who slew footed Reaves, ended Blais’ season, and Kreider chased around the ice. So no need to worry.

Sather signed Brashear months after he knocked out Betts. I would not be so sure.

68Forever

Sep 2, 2008
Queens, NY
Putting on weight does make you more explosive... what do you think explosiveness comes from ? muscle
I dont think laf was getting pushed around, neither was kakko. Those two needed to add speed not muscle.
Both of them are already strong enough to play down low.

Kakko needed to work on his shot and speed.
Laf just getting a little more explosive and if he adds some more top end speed great.
Putting on weight does make you more explosive... Explosiveness comes from stronger muscles, and muscles are stronger when they are bigger. Putting on too much weight makes you slower but that happy medium for a 20 year old is more weight now and then cutting fat later AKA throughout the season.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Gerbe in NSH as developmental coach. It's hiarlious GMs will hire the most unskilled undersized guys who know what it's like to "battle against the odds" as developmental coaches. It's probably one of the roles of a developmental coach. We should add another one that's more talented than motivational.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Gerbe in NSH as developmental coach. It's hiarlious GMs will hire the most unskilled undersized guys who know what it's like to "battle against the odds" as developmental coaches. It's probably one of the roles of a developmental coach. We should add another one that's more talented than motivational.
What? Jed Ortmeyers stats don’t impress you?

Reactions: Tob

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Talented people don't know how to teach people well below their skill level. I've tried teaching 2nd graders math, but I can't get past how dumb they are. Can't relate. What do you mean? Just multiply them together. The best 2nd grade teachers are only a little bit smarter than the kids.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Putting on weight does make you more explosive... what do you think explosiveness comes from ? muscle

Putting on weight does make you more explosive... Explosiveness comes from stronger muscles, and muscles are stronger when they are bigger. Putting on too much weight makes you slower but that happy medium for a 20 year old is more weight now and then cutting fat later AKA throughout the season.
some of it mechanics tho. You can build all the muscle you want, if you're using it inefficiently its just a waste.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Talented people don't know how to teach people well below their skill level. I've tried teaching 2nd graders math, but I can't get past how dumb they are. Can't relate. What do you mean? Just multiply them together. The best 2nd grade teachers are only a little bit smarter than the kids.
This is why Jeff Foxworthy hosts "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad