Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Another move from Ottawa:

The #Sens have acquired defenceman Braydon Coburn, forward Cedric Paquette and a second-round draft pick in 2022 from @TBLightning in exchange for Marian Gaborik and Anders Nilsson:

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
that's a weird move to me. it's basically cap even and a 2nd for a below average goalie.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Imagine helping the defending champions keep their core together for basically nothing

God what a bunch of idiots NHL GMs are

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Imagine helping the defending champions keep their core together for basically nothing

But why would Ottawa care about helping Tampa? They aren't in the same division and one of the worst teams in the league anyway. It's not like they got junk for it they got a 2nd round pick for basically nothing.

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
Deal makes sense for Ottawa. They save money by not having to pay Gaborik and Nilsson. Coburn is a 3rd pair D-man, Paquette is a bottom 6 forward and they get a 2nd round pick so that Tampa could have cap relief. Tampa has to pay Gaborik and Nilsson their salaries but no cap hit since they are going on LTIR. Sens save actual dollars, Tampa gets cap space. Both teams win. It’s not just about helping other teams, it’s also helping yourself.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Isn't there a limit you can be over the cap in the offseason since their is no ltir in the offseason? Like 10% over the set cap for the year or something.

Thought that was why Hoffman can sign with the Blues until the season starts.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Isn't there a limit you can be over the cap in the offseason since their is no ltir in the offseason? Like 10% over the set cap for the year or something.

Thought that was why Hoffman can sign with the Blues until the season starts.

Yeah, the limit is 10%, but I think offseason LTIR covers the rest.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Deal makes sense for Ottawa. They save money by not having to pay Gaborik and Nilsson. Coburn is a 3rd pair D-man, Paquette is a bottom 6 forward and they get a 2nd round pick so that Tampa could have cap relief. Tampa has to pay Gaborik and Nilsson their salaries but no cap hit since they are going on LTIR. Sens save actual dollars, Tampa gets cap space. Both teams win. It’s not just about helping other teams, it’s also helping yourself.

I'm reasonably certain that most, if not all, of Gaborik's contract is paid by insurance. I'm not sure on Nilsson.

They both still count against the cap while on LTIR. They just allow Tampa to exceed the cap, which isn't the same thing.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Your commitment to turning any topic into a Ryan Strome debate is commendable.
Let me put it another way- we practically could have iced a third line of Soderberg/Haula/Fast and played Chytil at 2C for the money we instead allocated to keep Strome.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Is that supposed to be an upgrade over Laf, Chytil Gauthier?
Laf, Chytil and Gauthier are still on the team in that hypothetical, probably all producing at a higher rate with the support of Soderberg/Haula/Fast as opposed to Strome.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Tampa is still in a shitty place cap wise. The deal allows them to squeak into compliance with a 20 man roster and without Kucherov....and the overall outlook doesn't improve much over the next couple flat cap years. Johnson and Killorn are still going to be hard to move and the flat cap is going to make it so much harder to move aging and declining overpaid vets. Teams just aren't going to have the cap space to operate with. As far as Tampa's concerned one of Stamkos or Kucherov is going to have to go and probably for a lot less return than some might think.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Tampa is still in a shitty place cap wise. The deal allows them to squeak into compliance with a 20 man roster and without Kucherov....and the overall outlook doesn't improve much over the next couple flat cap years. Johnson and Killorn are still going to be hard to move and the flat cap is going to make it so much harder to move aging and declining overpaid vets. Teams just aren't going to have the cap space to operate with. As far as Tampa's concerned one of Stamkos or Kucherov is going to have to go and probably for a lot less return than some might think.

Killorn only has a M-NTC. He will be easy to move even if they have to give something with him which I don't think they will.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

meh. Each gm is focused on improving their own team, not trying to prevent repeat champions.

If I was the NYR gm I’d gladly make a move that made both my club and Tampa bay better off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad