Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The false premise of your argument is that Strome represents ‘quality’, compared to the other options.
Which comes from the utterly false premise of an argument that is rooted in a ridiculous belief that "anyone can do it".

What are your other options that will be able to play on the second line, with your best player and cost the same or less?
Its almost as if you can't address the actual issue that Panarin has earned Strome's money, not Strome.
Panarin was single-handedly responsible for Strome being able to put the puck in the right place? Amazing.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The one thing ill say about Kreider and the captaincy is that he doesn't lead by example most nights, the most involved ive seen him was when it was already too late vs carolina. If that Kreider was what we saw every night id love it but its not. Without being in the room id say its Zibby, Trouba, and then maybe Kreider for captain. The only thing holding back them giving Zib the c is the next contract imo.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Dave Maloney very tellingly one night between periods let out that Kreider is NOT the type of guy that should the captain. Very quirky not at all who they’d look to for that role.

and I believe he’s 100% spot on

Mika should be captain. It should have happened last year and it’s ridiculous that it still hasn’t happened

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Really? I always felt fans were leaning towards Zibanejad for the captaincy

I felt like it was close, but Kreider picked up votes when he re-signed.

But broadly speaking, the concept of putting the "C" on Kreider (either before or after his new contract) was always more popular outside the organization than within.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Just leave the captaincy vacant until Alexis is ready for it.

I'd add, until the team is ready for it. We are a hodge-podge of dead cap space, ELCs, and a couple legit stars right now, hardly something that needs coherence and legitimacy from a 'cultural' standpoint.

Reactions: Trxjw

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Last year I was on board with Zibby being captain but now?

I mean I love him but is he gonna be here in 2 years?

Might as well just hold off and roll with A’s until Lafreniere is ready for it

Reactions: kovazub94

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I think right now, despite Larry's article (which has a lot of valid points sprinkled throughout), the Rangers are very much keeping that option/possibility open before they commit to another direction.

And again, Larry kind of mentioned it, but it bears repeating, this organization is not totally married to Zibanejad moving forward. Whether one likes or agrees with that aspect, it is going to be a factor when we talk about things like the captaincy or even the trades the Rangers consider over the next year or two.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Why do we assume that Lafreniere is the eventual captain, rather than Fox, Kakko, Miller, Lundkvist, or any other number of younger players here?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I felt like it was close, but Kreider picked up votes when he re-signed.

But broadly speaking, the concept of putting the "C" on Kreider (either before or after his new contract) was always more popular outside the organization than within.
Yea it was always about 50/50 and like you said Kreider picked up votes when he signed that long contract.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I think right now, despite Larry's article (which has a lot of valid points sprinkled throughout), the Rangers are very much keeping that option/possibility open before they commit to another direction.

And again, Larry kind of mentioned it, but it bears repeating, this organization is not totally married to Zibanejad moving forward. Whether one likes or agrees with that aspect, it is going to be a factor when we talk about things like the captaincy or even the trades the Rangers consider over the next year or two.

Wouldn't that be a good reason to name his captain though (provided they think he deserves it)? If they decided not to re-up him in two years (which as of now I disagree with but could change based on his play) that would leave the C open for Lafreniere (or someone else) to take over at that point. If they gave it to Kreider that wouldn't be an option without taking it away from him which happens sometimes but isn't really the right thing to do to one of your most well-respected and longest tenured players.

All that being said I really don't care who is named the Captain or think it matters much.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

If we don't have a #1C emerge in the next 2 years, there is no way we can lose Mika to FA (or trade).

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Wouldn't that be a good reason to name his captain though (provided they think he deserves it)? If they decided not to re-up him in two years (which as of now I disagree with but could change based on his play) that would leave the C open for Lafreniere (or someone else) to take over at that point. If they gave it to Kreider that wouldn't be an option without taking it away from him which happens sometimes but isn't really the right thing to do to one of your most well-respected and longest tenured players.

All that being said I really don't care who is named the Captain or think it matters much.

Personally, if I was going to venture a guess, I'd say that for some of the reasons you touched on, or the uncertainty surrounding those topics, they might be more inclined to leave well enough alone for now.

I haven't received any indication that naming a captain was something that was seen as a priority to this point --- though it would be interesting to see if that's changed in a post-Lundqvist world.

As part of my guess, and it's only that at this point, I think they probably view Zibanejad and Kreider as guys who help transition between two eras, and serve as trusted leadership advisors/consultants, but not necessarily serve as "the captain."

In more humorous terms, I would say there's a strong belief in leaving Zibanejad and Kreider as caporegimes with the hope that Don Lafreniere emerges in a manner that everyone seemingly expects him to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad