Roster and Fantasy GM Thread: Pre-Draft Silly Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
regardless of the return we’d get on a hypothetical Dahlin trade (I feel like a piece of shit just for typing that), I’d probably cry myself to sleep every night for about a week and curl up into a ball.

Dahlin: Vancouver
Matthews: Toronto
McDavid: Edmonton
Laine: Winnipeg

We’d finally be able to play with the big boys and their big boy toys. No way I pass that up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
regardless of the return we’d get on a hypothetical Dahlin trade (I feel like a piece of **** just for typing that), I’d probably cry myself to sleep every night for about a week and curl up into a ball.

Dahlin: Vancouver
Matthews: Toronto
McDavid: Edmonton
Laine: Winnipeg

We’d finally be able to play with the big boys and their big boy toys. No way I pass that up.
Plus lot of young big boy forwards, but very few young big boy defencemen in the league.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Also, trade Tanev for anything we can get.

Good in theory but the Canucks really can’t afford to trade Tanev unless they get another veteran top pairing right handed D somehow. Trading TNev without an immediate adequate replacement could be a serious detriment to our rebuild (I.e guys like Stecher, Pouliot, etc., being inappropriately promoted to roles they can’t play, Demko getting lit up behind what would be one of the worst defenses in NHL history).

As injury prone as Tanev is, Canucks need to hang onto him until they build more depth. The presence of Tanev would also help insulate the likes of Juolevi (((or Dahlin ;););););)) as they get their feet wet. The last thing you want is one of those guys being paired with Stecher, Biega, or Gudbranson as part of their welcoming initiation.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
I see alot of people haven't given up on Virtanen. His numbers are abysmal (including AHL numbers) so am I to interpret the optimism as him becoming a skilled grinder or something along those lines?

Last edited:

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
His NHL numbers aren't abysmal for someone in their early 20s unless you're keeping in mind where he was picked.

Get 6th Overall out of your head -- it's completely irrelevant unless we're talking about this regime's body of work here.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I see alot of people haven't given up on Virtanen. His numbers are abysmal (including AHL numbers) so am I to interpret the optimism as him becoming a skilled grinder or something along those lines?

Virtanen hasn't lived up to expectations, but I did notice a significant improvement this year even if it didn't necessarily translate to the score sheet. While I don't think Virtanen will ever become a superstar in this league, I am starting to feel confident that he'll turn into a solid player. A Jannik Hansen/Raffi Torres calibre guy is what I suspect he might turn into. Not the greatest thing in the world considering where he was picked, but not chopped liver either.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Virtanen hasn't lived up to expectations, but I did notice a significant improvement this year even if it didn't necessarily translate to the score sheet. While I don't think Virtanen will ever become a superstar in this league, I am starting to feel confident that he'll turn into a solid player. A Jannik Hansen/Raffi Torres calibre guy is what I suspect he might turn into. Not the greatest thing in the world considering where he was picked, but not chopped liver either.

If Virtanen can be a super fast hard hitter on a team that has the scoring covered we would be lucky to have him, unfortuently he hasn’t brought anything consistently for a prolonged period of time, I’m still waiting to see if he will develop into a good second line winger but whatever role he fulfills he can’t be Raffi Torres 2 out of every 7 games. I say take away his Twitch account until he scores 20

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
If Virtanen can be a super fast hard hitter on a team that has the scoring covered we would be lucky to have him, unfortuently he hasn’t brought anything consistently for a prolonged period of time, I’m still waiting to see if he will develop into a good second line winger but whatever role he fulfills he can’t be Raffi Torres 2 out of every 7 games. I say take away his Twitch account until he scores 20

Good points. He's still young however (21) and like I said, there was significant improvement and gain between this year and last. I remain hopeful and optimistic.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I didn't realize just how far Weber has fallen from Grace.
Have you not watched any Habs? Even on HNIC? They’ve been utterly brutal and he’s been a big contributing factor, rather with his piss poor play, in ability to create offence on his own, or just been injured and away from the team.
BarginBin really messed that team up, and he’s only gonna make it worse before it gets better.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
One clearly has to be concerned about Chris Tanev at this point...He's all but confirmed to be injury prone,and its getting almost comical at this point.

There must be no doubt that his durability would affect his trade value..which sucks!

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
It's time to trade Tanev. I mean it was time to trade him a while ago, but the more he's hurt the more it hurts his value in a trade. Even if a lot of the injuries he's suffered have been freak/flukey kind of injuries that don't reflect on him being injury prone etc.

The obvious reply to this is, "but our defense will be trash without him!" Our defense is trash with him. We might end up 31st instead of 29/30th. Get value out of him now, everyone in the media seems adamant that he's not re-signing here at the end of his deal.

I have such little faith in Benning to complete a trade though. Has he ever had a good trade where he moved out an impending UFA? burrows for Dalhen i guess?

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
IF we get first overall it goes nowhere no matter what. Dahlin will be the 2nd most valuable player in the league. Calgary would have to give up more than Monahan+Tkachuk.

Reactions: Index

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
It's time to trade Tanev. I mean it was time to trade him a while ago, but the more he's hurt the more it hurts his value in a trade. Even if a lot of the injuries he's suffered have been freak/flukey kind of injuries that don't reflect on him being injury prone etc.

The obvious reply to this is, "but our defense will be trash without him!" Our defense is trash with him. We might end up 31st instead of 29/30th. Get value out of him now, everyone in the media seems adamant that he's not re-signing here at the end of his deal.

I have such little faith in Benning to complete a trade though. Has he ever had a good trade where he moved out an impending UFA? burrows for Dalhen i guess?

Even if our defense is trash with Tanev, it would atleast insulate our incoming prospects a little more......which is extremely important for prospect development.

Juolevi would get the hand held treatment from Tanev, which is a helluva lot better than being paired with Stecher, Biega, or Gudbranson. Other young guys like Hutton and Pouliot wouldn’t be forced to play in roles that they aren’t worthy of.

On top of that, you have to think of Demko. If the Canucks want to give Demko a chance and they move Tanev for futures, do you really want Demko trying to “get his feet wet” behind what would be the world’s shittiest defense? Neither would I.

Given the dire situation of the Canucks D, they really can’t afford to be moving vets for picks on the back-end, until they somehow get adequate depth back there. That’s one reason why the Canucks couldn’t afford to let Gudbranson go.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
So, what can we get for Tanev?

Liljegren is the sexiest answer choice that I’ve seen being thrown around. I would be surprised if Toronto went for that. If Liljegren is ready for top 4 duty next year, then Toronto has no real reason to move him. If Liljegren isn’t ready for Top 4 duty, then the Canucks making a move for him would be more detrimental than beneficial.

Hold onto Tanev.

Want a draft pick? Move Baertschi and/or Hutton.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
So, what can we get for Tanev?

Not nearly as much as would have been the case a couple of years ago. Dreams of a 1st and an elite prospect are now just that, dreams. We'd be really lucky to get that first.

About two years ago a poster on CDC suggested trading Tanev. I agreed that it was time to at least see what return was available for him. Part o.f the reason was simple age-shifting to younger players for a rebuild but part of it was concern about the abuse to Tanev's body due largely to his playing style, which was effective but resulted in him absorbing a lot of hits.

We have here a 28 year old who has only played 390 NHL games but whose body has taken the abuse of someone far older. His contract which has two seasons left can no longer be termed team-friendly and there are now reasonable arguments to be made that his effectiveness is already deteriorating, possibly due to his playing hurt some of the time he is able to play.

I think a healthy Tanev still makes the Canucks a very different and much more effective team, but we haven't seen Tanev playing while healthy much this season or last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad