Roster and Fantasy GM Thread: Pre-Draft Silly Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I know bert and morrison are available too, just gotta get naslund back and were set!

Whole crew back together playoffs 2019!!!
I was thinking Willie Mitchell might help out the D if he's willing to come out of retirement.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Keeping him on the team doesnt accomplish anything. Finishing with 70 pts instead of 65 is like choosing between kissing a donkeys ass or a horses...

Trade him while he has ANY sort of high value left. Id trade him for domi, ho sang, mantha anyone like that....
this is the dumbest shit I’ve read in a while

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Keeping him on the team doesnt accomplish anything. Finishing with 70 pts instead of 65 is like choosing between kissing a donkeys ass or a horses...

Trade him while he has ANY sort of high value left. Id trade him for domi, ho sang, mantha anyone like that....
I strongly disagree. Getting rid of Tanev leaves us with one true top 4 defenseman. The reason for keeping him isn't to win a few more games, it's to shelter young players coming into the lineup in the next few years and to partner him with one of them to help ease them into the NHL (like Juolevi). And the reality of the situation is that it's very unlikely we can get a top 4 defenseman in free agency, even if we throw a stupid contract at them.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Yeah im with you if he didnt miss half a season every year. How much sheltering can he possibly accomplish in 40 games. 40 meaningless games.
Why not just sign a vet D for sheltering while simultaneously getting something for tanev while he's worth anything.

If he wasnt injured all the time that'd be a different story. But if he doesnt stay healthy again next season itll be hard to argue he has any value worth trading for.

Conversely it would also be a different story if we were anywhere close to competing and had need for a D like him. Being bottom 5 team for the forseeable future means whats the point in having his value go to waste.

Why not bring the sedins back for 2 or 3 more years to shelter young players too then. When their value is clearly not what it was.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
I strongly disagree. Getting rid of Tanev leaves us with one true top 4 defenseman. The reason for keeping him isn't to win a few more games, it's to shelter young players coming into the lineup in the next few years and to partner him with one of them to help ease them into the NHL (like Juolevi). And the reality of the situation is that it's very unlikely we can get a top 4 defenseman in free agency, even if we throw a stupid contract at them.
Sorry but how is he going to shelter anyone,when the guy cant even stay in the line up himself.Its time to cut ties with mr good for 40 to 45 games per season.Throw a band aide on him and get rid of him.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Yeah im with you if he didnt miss half a season every year. How much sheltering can he possibly accomplish in 40 games. 40 meaningless games.
Why not just sign a vet D for sheltering while simultaneously getting something for tanev while he's worth anything.

If he wasnt injured all the time that'd be a different story. But if he doesnt stay healthy again next season itll be hard to argue he has any value worth trading for.

Conversely it would also be a different story if we were anywhere close to competing and had need for a D like him. Being bottom 5 team for the forseeable future means whats the point in having his value go to waste.

Why not bring the sedins back for 2 or 3 more years to shelter young players too then. When their value is clearly not what it was.
Because they aren't sheltering anyone and are taking away easy minutes from our young players. The Sedins aren't top 6 forwards anymore. Tanev is still a very effective top 4 defenseman. Also, Tanev's value probably isn't very high right now, and there's no realistic way to replace what he provides when we're already severely short on competent defensemen.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Why do we need to replace what he provides?
What does it accomplish... Id rather have a younger better player F/D thats atleast exciting than to watch tanevs half a season of mentoring.

Its a simple upgrade of your assets. You'd rather have tanev on IR over another horvat/brock type player ?

Really its a gamble on how healthy one believes he can be going forward...

Last edited:
Reactions: rypper

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
What does it accomplish... Id rather have a younger better player F/D thats atleast exciting than to watch tanevs half a season of mentoring.

Its a simple upgrade of your assets. You'd rather have tanev on IR over another horvat/brock type player ?
At this point I question whether we can get a high-end young player for Tanev, and no team is going to trade a high-end young defenseman for an older version. And even if we could get a very good return for Tanev involving a forward, you still need some reliable veterans for a successful rebuild and we'd only have Edler left on defense. Any young defensemen coming in are going to have a very rough time. Though I will admit that this opens up the option to trade a young forward for a young defenseman later on.

Most importantly I don't trust Benning to get a good return for Tanev. I would expect Jimbo to get a late 1st and another replacement level young player like Granlund or Pouliot.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

Really its a gamble on how healthy one believes he can be going forward...

The presence of Tanev helps the development of guys like Juolevi and Demko, and also prevents guys like Hutton, Stecher, and Pouliot from playing in roles that they aren’t good enough for.

Why some people don’t understand this simple concept is baffling to me.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Is anyone else getting the sinking feeling that the team is going to re-sign Jussi Jokinen for next season?

If the twins retire, or if the Canucks decide to move Baertschi for a pick, then I think they might sign him to a small one year deal. I think a lot of it also depends on what they decide to do with Goldobin, or how some other prospects within the system (on LW) are developing, or who they draft (Zadina?). I also wouldn’t rule out Benning making a pitch for Evander Kane.

Long story short - I think Jokinen will be a contingency option for Vancouver. Can’t just put non-ready prospects/young players on your 2nd line LW if they aren’t ready for the responsibility.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
At this point I question whether we can get a high-end young player for Tanev,.

I don’t think it even is a question at this point. I can’t see any team offering a high end young player for Tanev. The only GM’s dumb enough to do that are Calgary’s, Edmonton’s, Ottawa’s, Montreal’s, and Buffalo’s, but I can’t see that happening.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
The presence of Tanev helps the development of guys like Juolevi and Demko, and also prevents guys like Hutton, Stecher, and Pouliot from playing in roles that they aren’t good enough for.

Why some people don’t understand this simple concept is baffling to me.
How in the world do you think the presence of Tanev is going to help with juolevi and demko when he is not even around because he is at home nursing a broken toe because he kicked a feather.what do,es he do,send them an email.this guy has a ton of talent when he plays. But at the rate he keeps racking up injurys,id gladly take sami salo back.we might end up shipping him out with an I O U,,

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
How in the world do you think the presence of Tanev is going to help with juolevi and demko when he is not even around because he is at home nursing a broken toe because he kicked a feather.what do,es he do,send them an email.this guy has a ton of talent when he plays. But at the rate he keeps racking up injurys,id gladly take sami salo back.we might end up shipping him out with an I O U,,

I hear you but it’s a risk we must take unfortunately. We aren’t going to get much for Tanev at this point, and you can’t let your prospects go into a season thinking that they are going to get destroyed every night.

You have to dangle that carrot to the kids.....the carrot being that if they work hard, they have a realistic shot of making the playoffs. That’s why you not only keep Tanev with the hope that his luck changes, but also maintain an active presence in the UFA market.

I know my opinion differs significantly from many others here in this regard, but I still maintain that playoff experience and pushing for a playoff spot is a vital part of prospect development. A healthy Tanev gives us a better chance of achieving that.

Last edited:

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I like what Tanev brings to the team, but as several others here have said... what he brings is irrelevant when he’s not playing.

Maybe Philly might take him on for one of their plethora of young D.
Morin and a 2nd?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Having Tanev to stablize a young blueline makes sense in theory, but when he's hurt all of the time it puts more pressure on those young players as they are forced into minutes they can't handle. Giving those opportunities is fine (if not beneficial) for a few games, but Edler, Tanev, and now Gudbranson are getting a bit notorious for these 4-6 or 6-8 week injuries.

It's a tough spot. Given where the team is at right now, I think trading Tanev should be on the table for this off-season. Ideally a 2019 1st & NHL capable young RHD with some offensive upside would be the fit.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
If Oilers or Habs win the lottery magically, trade Tanev and our pick to move up.

Realistically, trade Tanev for a mid-Late first (Toronto?) and decent prospect or another pick.

Reactions: Donuts

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
What are the chances Benning throws a **** ton of money at Carlson
We're at the point where it doesn't really matter how much money we throw at the top free agents, none will come here. Every team will be able to throw around stupid money with the cap rising quite a bit, we've been a bottom 3 team for the past three seasons, and our future isn't bright either.

We managed to sign Eriksson a couple of years ago for three main reasons. One, the Sedins were still pretty good, they had experience playing together internationally, and he was probably told he'd get to play with them. Two, the Canucks were a playoff team the year before and there was a bit of hope for the team to bounce back. Three, a signing bonus-heavy, buyout-proof contract for far too much money.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Want to get some roster thoughts out pre-Gaudette debut.

The following IMO are staples that the rest of the team will be built around:

xxx - Horvat - Boeser
xxx - xxx - xxx
xxx - Sutter - Eriksson
Leipsic - Gaudette - xxx

Edler - Tanev
Juolevi - Stecher
xxx - Gudbranson

Markstrom
xxx

Scenario 1. Sedins are back.

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser
Sedin - Sedin - Pettersson
Gaunce - Sutter - Eriksson
Leipsic - Gaudette - Virtanen
Goldobin

Edler - Tanev
Juolevi - Stecher
MDZ - Gudbranson
Pouliot/Biega

Markstrom
xxx

This assumes the biggest events of the summer aside from re-signing the Twins are re-signing Baertschi, trading Hutton, ditching Gagner, Granlund and Nilsson and re-signing Jokinen. Putting the Sedins with Pettersson is something that could happen just for the narrative. Assuming Virtanen and Goldobin will both be given a shot to stay in the lineup since they need waivers, but that Goldy will likely get waived at some point after camp barring injuries. Juolevi is guaranteed to be here, and probably isn't ready to face the matchups that Tanev gets. Think Benning would like to move MDZ out to pave the way for Pouliot to be a regular, but Green has a clear affinity for one over the other. Find a cheap non-Demko backup to free some cap space.

Scenario 2. No Sedins, "rebuild"

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser
Pettersson - Gagner - Virtanen
Gaunce - Sutter - Eriksson
Leipsic - Gaudette - Jokinen
Archibald

Edler - Tanev
Juolevi - Stecher
Hutton - Biega
Gudbranson

Markstrom
Demko

Hearing Green gushing about Jokinen makes me think he might be kept around as a depth forward/mentor, which I honestly wouldn't overly mind in a post-Sedin world. Sentimentality aside, at minimum wage that would be a better, cheaper signing for a useful utility player that is two seasons removed from putting up 60 points, than say, paying double for Jannik Hansen. On D, try and revive Hutton by pairing him with Biega, keep Gudbranson away from him, ditch MDZ instead of ditching Gagner. Try and get assets for Goldobin and co. but assume he just gets waived. Lind and Dahlen get a call-up or two with injuries. Keep Tanev around, hoping he can stay healthy and transition the d/Juolevi for the first couple months, then move him in December to a contender. Move Gudbranson up the lineup at that time and tank. Transition Demko in as starter at that time if needed.

Of course, it's much more likely Benning commits term to an age gap signing, like Smith-Pelley. Or even stupider, overpays for a mid-tier free agent like Perron with the new found cap space...yikes. Barring a 70+ point breakout from EP (and he'd have to be Matthews level to do that with those linemates...), the second line from above is probably the worst in the league. So...

Scenario 3. No Sedins, likely roster IMO

Perron - Horvat - Boeser
Baertschi - Gagner - Eriksson
Vanek - Sutter - DSP
Pettersson - Gaudette - Virtanen
Leipsic/Granlund/Gaunce

Edler - Tanev
MDZ - Stecher
Pouliot - Gudbranson
Juolevi

Markstrom
Nilsson

EP and Gaudette get the first year Horvat treatment with limited icetime until they absolutely prove otherwise. Tommy Gun is back as a Capital-M Mentor, along with Perron (need two veterans to replace the two Sedins!!), with a certain faction gloating about how they got Vanek back as a sign of asset management (even though Motte is waived and Jokinen leaves). One of Granlund or Gaunce is moved or waived as a result. Benning claims this as the "deepest roster" of his tenure. No one bites on Gagner, MDZ or Nilsson and all three take up roster spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad