Roster and Fantasy GM Thread: Pre-Draft Silly Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Tavares is very unlikely to leave the East Coast. And having Rasmus Dahlin isn't going to make a high end UFA come here because our team is going to be very bad for at least another few seasons.

Tavares wants to play on a winner—we don't fit that bill in the slightest.

Is that really the case though? I don’t know if it is........check out these line-ups:

With Tavares + Dahlin:

Baertschi-Tavares-Boeser
Leipsic-Horvat-Virtanen
Archibald-Sutter-Eriksson
(Dahlen/Pettersson/Gaudette/Lind/Gagner/Gaunce)

Dahlin-Tanev
Edler-Gudbranson
Juolevi-#####

If we get Dahlin and say.....sway Carlson instead of Tavares, then our D would look like this:

Dahlin-Carlson
Juolevi-Tanev
Edler-Gudbranson (one of the best defenses in the league?)

I agree that Dahlin + one high ticket free agent wouldn’t make us an immediate contender, but we’d be well on our way in terms of progression. I’d argue that we’d make the playoffs with one of those line-ups.

After Pettersson gets up to speed (1 year tops?), this team is a top 3rd team.

I don’t know. Like I said, if Dahlin=McDavid, and if a high ticket guy like Lucic decided to go to Edmonton (a team that was pretty much where we are now), then I don’t see why guys like Tavares or Carlson wouldn’t view Vancouver as a viable long term opportunity. Given the projections of guys like Pettersson, Gaudette, and Dahlen, I don’t think it would take too long for this team to get to the next level (think: Edmonton with McDavid = 2nd round appearance after two years. Toronto = where they are now).

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
For the Love of God, please stop calling Dahlin "The Connor McDavid of Defenseman".....

I’ll use that tag line a little less if you say please. ;)

I was only using that tag line to give emphasis to the fact that if we land Dahlin, there’s a good chance that high ticket items would want to come to Vancouver (which is why I cited Lucic-Edmonton).

And that’s my whole point. If we are lucky enough to win the Dahlin sweepstakes, we should take a serious look at Tavares or Carlson......because in both cases, I think they would consider us (long term contender opportunity, meeting salary demands, etc.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
If the Canucks draft Dahlin, everyone in Vancouver will have a big smile on their face.........except Olli Juolevi

Juolevi will pretty much become the Sherriff Woodie to Dahlin’s Buzz Lightyear.

Dahlin will get all of the attention and fan fare next year, along with the handheld treatment from Tanev on what I assume would be the top pairing. Juolevi on the other hand, would be smelling Del Zotto’s jockstrap on the 3rd pairing instead of the Tanev handheld treatment as previously planned.

Last edited:

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
If the Canucks draft Dahlin, everyone in Vancouver will have a big smile on their face.........except Olli Juolevi

Juolevi will pretty much become the Sherriff Woodie to Dahlin’s Buzz Lightyear.

Dahlin will get all of the attention and fan fare next year, along with the handheld treatment from Tanev on what I assume would be the top pairing. Juolevi on the other hand, would be smelling Del Zotto’s jockstrap on the 3rd pairing instead of the Tanev handheld treatment as previously planned.
I actually think it will be better for Juolevi if we draft Dahlin.

Dahlin is instantly going to be #1 LHD. that takes off a ton of pressure and focus from Juolevi allowing him to be a potential solid #2 LHD. Only downside is the future of our Right side is looking pretty gloom.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Tavares will look great with Ryan Johansen and Stamkos hanging with him potting in goals for the Canucks.

Last edited:

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
Not a Vancouver fan but I'm intrigued by your prospect situation. Why not go all in with the prospects? Unless of course someone's too obviously undeveloped to cope. The below would be fun to follow. And consider it a roster overview/depth chart more than exact lineup, I know several are out of position.

Leipsic – Horvat – Boeser
Dahlen – Gaudette – Pettersson
Sedin – Sedin – Lind
Goldobin – Sutter – Motte
Eriksson, Baertschi, Virtanen, Burmistrov, Granlund, Gagner, Lockwood

Edler – Tanev
Gudbranson - Tryamkin
Juolevi – Pouliot
Del Zotto, Stecher, Biega, Hutton

Demko
Markstrom
Nilsson
DiPietro

+the high pick of course.

There's certainly some crap to try and get rid of. Eriksson (well he's not crap but his contract is), Gagner, Del Zotto, Nilsson, etc.

Some might point to burning years of junior statuses, but might that not be an exaggerated factor? This team won't have a bunch of expensive top end players eating tons of cap space and thus making strong rookies important. Also, if a prospect plays and is so so for his first couple of years that increases the chances of a good bridge contract after the first one runs out.

Last edited:

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Imagine ****ing up that much and still getting an extension, my god.
Imagine spending to the cap max and trading away draft picks and prospects for roster players while coming 3rd last, 2nd last, and likely bottom 3.

While trying to make the playoffs.

And being the laugh stock of the NHL.

And causing your franchise’ value to go down $100 million.

And still getting an extension.

Reactions: Mr Plow

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
It's pretty brutal when you put it like that. I feel your pain.

I mentioned this three or four years ago already to friends, how the Canucks' management seemed to have poor self awareness about the club's status. They were making moves clinging on to a win now mentality that just wasn't realistic. Piling mediocracy in support to the Sedins who are awesome but no more at a level where they alone with decent backup would make a team realistic contenders. The result was finishing like 5th last instead of last. Pointless. Lose lose.

*In response to Travis Scott's summary. I thought I included the quote but no.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
It's pretty brutal when you put it like that. I feel your pain.

I mentioned this three or four years ago already to friends, how the Canucks' management seemed to have poor self awareness about the club's status. They were making moves clinging on to a win now mentality that just wasn't realistic. Piling mediocracy in support to the Sedins who are awesome but no more at a level where they alone with decent backup would make a team realistic contenders. The result was finishing like 5th last instead of last. Pointless. Lose lose.

*In response to Travis Scott's summary. I thought I included the quote but no.

I take offense! It was 3rd last and second last dammit! And now a good chance at being last, that is progress.

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
I take offense! It was 3rd last and second last dammit! And now a good chance at being last, that is progress.

Haha ok. Even worse. Well at least you got some high picks even though management were in denial and hoped for a higher finish =)

Reactions: racerjoe

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Dahlin for Matthew Tkachuk+

This isn’t my idea (I’d keep Dahlin at all costs If we won the lottery), but there’s a discussion on the T&R forum with Flame fans expressing their desire to move Tkachuk+ for Dahlin.

So my question is this: if we won 1st overall, what do you think would be a fair offer from Calgary if it started with “Tkachuk+”? What would that “plus” have to entail?

For me - it’s a flat out “no, we keep Dahlin” but there are a number of Son of Keith fans up in herrrre and so I thought I’d ask.

Last edited by a moderator:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I’ll use that tag line a little less if you say please. ;)

I was only using that tag line to give emphasis to the fact that if we land Dahlin, there’s a good chance that high ticket items would want to come to Vancouver (which is why I cited Lucic-Edmonton).

And that’s my whole point. If we are lucky enough to win the Dahlin sweepstakes, we should take a serious look at Tavares or Carlson......because in both cases, I think they would consider us (long term contender opportunity, meeting salary demands, etc.)
Lucic compares to Tavares? How. Lucic is in the same tier as Eriksson, Ladd etc. Tavares is in a league with Stamkos. Give up on Tavares, he has spent years on shit teams, if he leaves NYI it won't be to join another.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Lucic compares to Tavares? How. Lucic is in the same tier as Eriksson, Ladd etc. Tavares is in a league with Stamkos. Give up on Tavares, he has spent years on **** teams, if he leaves NYI it won't be to join another.

I didn’t imply in any way that Lucic was on Tavares’ level. All I said was that when [crapteam] landed [generationalTalent] with the first overall, [highTicketItem] saw [crapteam] as a viable long term destination.

I agree with what you’re saying btw, but how many contending teams will be able to offer Tavares the 12.5/7? How many teams have a generational talent on their hands? That my point.

Reactions: Deas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad