Roster and Fantasy GM Thread: Pre-Draft Silly Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Given Boeser, potentially Lind and potentially a Svechnikov or Zadina on the right side, Canucks are severely lacking quality on the left side.

Would love to package Tanev to the NY Islanders to get Bellows + pick (ideally the lesser of their two 2018 1sts). Given where theya re at, a decent young core and needing to do what they can to keep Tavares, they could be desperate enough at the TDL.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
Sign Gudbranson to 4.5 a year over 5 years
Hold onto Vanek through the end of the year in case the Sedins retire
Sign Bertschi to a 4 × 4
Sign Granlund to 2 × 2.5
Trade 2nd rounder (Ryan Merkley) for Ryan Spooner.
Trade Hutton for a 4th to recover a pick.
Draft Tkachuk 2nd overall

This is our future....

A part of me died while reading this.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Sign Bertschi to a 4 × 4
Sign Granlund to 2 × 2.5

This is our future....
You forgot packaging the 4th from the Hutton traded with Gaunce for Reaves and a 6th

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Given Boeser, potentially Lind and potentially a Svechnikov or Zadina on the right side, Canucks are severely lacking quality on the left side.

Would love to package Tanev to the NY Islanders to get Bellows + pick (ideally the lesser of their two 2018 1sts). Given where theya re at, a decent young core and needing to do what they can to keep Tavares, they could be desperate enough at the TDL.

1) It's just my preference, but I'd stay away from drafting Russian players. There's simply too much volatility, and the Canucks have had their fair share of unhappy endings with Russians. For me, I pass on Svechnikov.

2) Keep Tanev at all costs, unless we're packaging Tanev for a younger and *currently better* RHD. Period. If the Canucks move Tanev, our entire defense will collapse like a house or cards.......to the point where it would actually severely interfere with our rebuilding process (i.e. added pressure on goaltending/Demko, placing our current and incoming D to play in roles that they are too green for).

3) Keep Gudbranson to ensure depth on the right side of defense.

4) Move Vanek for a 2nd or a 'B' level prospect.

5) Ask Henrik if he'd be interested in playing on another team for a few months before returning to Vancouver for 1 more season. Trade Hank for a 1st and a good prospect at the TDL. Extend Daniel a week later to show the twins that the Canucks are serious about having both players back for next season. Hank re-signs with Vancouver on July 1st.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
5) Ask Henrik if he'd be interested in playing on another team for a few months before returning to Vancouver for 1 more season. Trade Hank for a 1st and a good prospect at the TDL. Extend Daniel a week later to show the twins that the Canucks are serious about having both players back for next season. Hank re-signs with Vancouver on July 1st.

I think this is a sensible idea. I doubt they'd split even more than I doubt they would waive, though. If it happened, it would let Daniel become Captain. I think most teams would view them as co-dependent, too. Cycle-centric.

If we are just talking rhetoric, I'd like to send them to Pittsburgh at no cost (or even accept salary back) for a Cup run. Why no cost? Canucks have wrung enough out of the Sedins. Sending them to a team that needs them and has a bit of history in the playoffs would be a kindness.

Then, let the free agent market woo them. If it's true love, they will sign here for third line money and play eight or ten minute games. If they want a larger role, they can sign somewhere else. Canucks lack the resolve to try this, obviously.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
John Tavares:

For the record, I think Tavares will re-sign with the Islanders.

Going into Fantasy Land however, I do have a few Questions:

1) Would the 'McDavid' deal be enough to sway Tavares to Vancouver? Given that the twins and Gudbranson could potentially be off the books this Summer, we likely would be able to annihilate anyone in a bidding war for Tavares. Very few teams would be able to offer Tavares the "McDavid" deal, and for the few teams that could, we could still outbid them.

2) In a hypothetical scenario where we actually sign Tavares to a 7 year deal, $12.5 million cap hit per, how would that affect our cap moving forward? What would the Canucks need to do once guys like Juolevi, Pettersson, Boeser, etc, need to be re-upped?

Landing Tavares would be nice obviously, but I suspect that it would lead to us having major cap problems in the future. In order for all of this to be worthwhile, the Canucks would pretty much need to win a cup while all of Peterrson, Boeser, Juolevi, etc., were all on ELC's, while Tryamkin also decided to jump back to us..........while Demko unexpectedly broke it.

As much as it pains me to say this, we might be better off forgetting about Tavares while using that freed up money to comfortably re-up our up-coming RFA's, while plugging some holes with shorter term contracts. Move Vanek for a pick.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
John Tavares:

For the record, I think Tavares will re-sign with the Islanders.

Going into Fantasy Land however, I do have a few Questions:

1) Would the 'McDavid' deal be enough to sway Tavares to Vancouver? Given that the twins and Gudbranson could potentially be off the books this Summer, we likely would be able to annihilate anyone in a bidding war for Tavares. Very few teams would be able to offer Tavares the "McDavid" deal, and for the few teams that could, we could still outbid them.

2) In a hypothetical scenario where we actually sign Tavares to a 7 year deal, $12.5 million cap hit per, how would that affect our cap moving forward? What would the Canucks need to do once guys like Juolevi, Pettersson, Boeser, etc, need to be re-upped?

Landing Tavares would be nice obviously, but I suspect that it would lead to us having major cap problems in the future. In order for all of this to be worthwhile, the Canucks would pretty much need to win a cup while all of Peterrson, Boeser, Juolevi, etc., were all on ELC's, while Tryamkin also decided to jump back to us..........while Demko unexpectedly broke it.

As much as it pains me to say this, we might be better off forgetting about Tavares while using that freed up money to comfortably re-up our up-coming RFA's, while plugging some holes with shorter term contracts. Move Vanek for a pick.
There will be multiple teams giving up $12.5 million for Tavares. The Canucks will likely be the least intriguing team.

The Canucks are gonna have major cap problems in the future regardless if they sign Tavares. Boeser will be looking at 8x8 most likely which would mean in 2019-20 (when a lot of Pro-Benning people think this team will be good), the Canucks will have $35.2 million locked into Boeser, Horvat, Sutter, Eriksson, Gagner, Tanev and Markstrom. You add $12.5 million to that and you have $32.3 million (assuming the cap is $80 mil) to spend across 5 defenceman, 6 forwards and 1 goalie, for an average on $2.7 million per player.
$2.7 million per player is not going to be enough considering Baertschi, Granlund and Gudbranson will probably get grossly overpaid.

Reactions: DarrenX

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sign Bertschi to a 4 × 4
Sign Granlund to 2 × 2.5

This is our future....
I'm detecting more than a note of black humour in this post.....but the scary thing for Canuck fans is that the Linden-Benning regime is fully capable of doing it.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I'm detecting more than a note of black humour in this post.....but the scary thing for Canuck fans is that the Linden-Benning regime is fully capable of doing it.

I am tired of making proposals that make sense. I am now joining the dark side. Doing the worst frikking thing possible.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Fun hypothetical from Tyler Dellow on twitter:

If the Canucks land the 4th overall pick, do you move it and Juolevi to Ottawa for Erik Karlsson, who signs an 8 yr/ $13M extension?

I think I do.

Probably depends on a few things.

1.)who's available at 4th overall and if you think that player can be a 1D that better fits in with the age group of Bo/Brock/Elias etc
2.)How you feel about Elias Pettersson staying at Center (and being a 1C) long term. Without a clear #1C you're likely to be a middling team even with Karlsson. You would basically be in NHL purgatory like the Sens are now with the exception that you'd have a hard time moving that contract.
3.)How long you think Karlsson can play at a high level for given all the mileage/minutes on his body. That's a massive anchor if his game falls off in 5 or 6 years.

Personally I want to feel confident that Pettersson is a 1C before I start making any drastic moves. I think for now I'd prefer to accumulate young assets for the next year or two until I have a better picture of the long term outlook and what pieces away this team is from being at a championship level. Right now I don't think I'd be ready to put my hopes on Karlsson dragging this team places even though the thought of Karlsson on this team is very exciting from a fan perspective. Too many question marks about this team's future with too few answers.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

Bellows d 1 year was really bad. His numbers in Portland are so so. Dahlen is a better prospect. Would not choose him as a target in a trade.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

If the Canucks land the 4th overall pick, do you move it and Juolevi to Ottawa for Erik Karlsson, who signs an 8 yr/ $13M extension?

I think I do.

No.
Even ignoring Karlsson's weak year, he'll be past his prime by the time the Canucks are ready to compete again. We need picks and prospects more than vets right now. Vets we acquire should be to sign and trade at the deadline, unless we pick up a top player in free agency who doesn't demand a long term contract past his prime which is extremely unlikely. Like impossible unlikely.

Reactions: tyhee

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

I think I do.

Karlsson is 27

Pettersson 19
Boeser 21
Horvat 22

Doesn’t make sense, especially when the pieces we are giving up are 19 and 17/18.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
There will be multiple teams giving up $12.5 million for Tavares. The Canucks will likely be the least intriguing team.

The Canucks are gonna have major cap problems in the future regardless if they sign Tavares. Boeser will be looking at 8x8 most likely which would mean in 2019-20 (when a lot of Pro-Benning people think this team will be good), the Canucks will have $35.2 million locked into Boeser, Horvat, Sutter, Eriksson, Gagner, Tanev and Markstrom. You add $12.5 million to that and you have $32.3 million (assuming the cap is $80 mil) to spend across 5 defenceman, 6 forwards and 1 goalie, for an average on $2.7 million per player.
$2.7 million per player is not going to be enough considering Baertschi, Granlund and Gudbranson will probably get grossly overpaid.

Great post. You're spot on about Tavares (although I don't know as to how many current contending teams actually have 12.5 million in cap space).

My prediction is that the Canucks will just be 'ok' in 2019/2020 (i.e. sneak into the playoffs + 1st round exit).

As far as Boeser goes, I get the feeling that he'll take a slight hometown discount and that he won't quite get 8*8. I think his contract will be more comparable to Nathan Mackinnon's........or around 7 million tops.

I think Granlund will be gonzo.

Edler might also be completely off the books by then, and Anders Nilsson/Del Zotto will likely be toast as well.

As far as Baertschi goes, I'm wondering if it would be beneficial for the Canucks to take a leap of faith with Goldobin and put him in Baertschi's spot? How much of a drop off is there between Baertschi and Goldobin?

Goldobin's in that position where he's outgrown the AHL, but isn't quite good enough for Top 6 duty on an NHL team. I'm wondering if Goldobin is at a point in his development where he can 'grow' into a 2nd line LW role if given the appropriate ice-time? Canucks can then save money by moving Baertschi. (((I'm not onboard with this idea btw - just thinking outloud))).

Based on that, I don't think the Canucks can afford Tavares long term, but I think they should be able to solve any potential cap problems if they avoid big name UFA's.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
You take that deal and run away laughing, come on.

Erik Karlsson is a generational dman who will be elite for pretty much the entire tenure of that contract. Passing on 8 years of generational defender for the 4th pick and a potential middle pairing defender is absurd.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
You take that deal and run away laughing, come on.

Erik Karlsson is a generational dman who will be elite for pretty much the entire tenure of that contract. Passing on 8 years of generational defender for the 4th pick and a potential middle pairing defender is absurd.

I disagree. We have contracts on the book that would preclude such a move in the form of Eriksson and Sutter. We also still don't have the rest of the pieces needed to contend. Such a move#may be fair value but exceedingly premature. Talk to me in three years when we have a top line center prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad