Roster and Fantasy GM Thread: Pre-Draft Silly Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
The fact that you even think theres a chance they would waive their NMC to be traded to separate teams is absolutely ludicrous.

But again - it would only be for a few months, and one or both guys would get one last shot at a cup.

They/He could come back to Van for one year and retire as Canucks.

The twins want to stay in Vancouver, but they also want to help Vancouver as much as they can. What better way to do that then fetching us high picks?

Is it a good chance this will happen? Probably not. However - if the above can be explained to them, then I think Hank or Dan could come around to the idea. Again - it's just for a few months. Hank tries to go get a cup, and then comes back to Van in the off-season.........all the while, fetching us a 1st and a good prospect.

p.s._____________In all likelihood, it would just be one of Hank or Dan in this scenario as I can't see the Canucks trading back for Hansen.

1) Canucks trade Hank (50% retention) for a 1st and a good prospect.
2) A week later, the Canucks extend Daniel's contract for 1 more year at a decent cap hit (which gives further proof to Henrik that the Canucks want the twins to retire as Canucks).
3) Hank re-signs with the Canucks on July 1st 2018 at the same cap hit as Dan.

It's also very likely that Hank returns to his family in Vancouver in April or May once his new team is eliminated from the playoffs.

2-3 months away from Vancouver. Oh my god, his whole world has been turned upside down!!!!!!

Last edited:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
They were discussing the twins on 650 (mid morning) about them re-signing or not etc. How even if the canucks wanted to part ways they don't have anyone to fill their spots or bring the points they do.

How even if the twins walked or retired the canucks would just have to sign players in FA to fill the spots (a la Vanek.)

Got me thinking how different that situation would be if we'd selected Nylander and TKachuk. (Or Ehlers, Keller, etc) Both would certainly fill the points gap the twins bring. Maybe not the much vaunted mentorship factor.

Two picks could have set us up so differently.

Last edited:

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
They were discussing the twins on 650 (mid morning) about them re-signing or not etc. How even if the canucks wanted to part ways they don't have anyone to fill their spots or bring the points they do.

How even if the twins walked or retired the canucks would just have to sign players in FA to fill the spots (a la Vanek.)

Got me thinking how different that situation would be if we'd selected Nylander and TKachuk. (Or Ehlers, Keller, etc) Both would certainly fill the points gap the twins bring. Maybe not the much vaunted mentorship factor.

Two picks could have set us up so differently.

Differently? yes for sure. Just not drafting Virtanen and picking Ehlers (and to a lesser extent Nylander) alone would have the Canucks in a much different and better spot. For me, if Juolevi can make the team at least show legit top 4 potential than I won't quibble about that pick. I also feel the Juolevi pick gets overly criticized because of the Virtanen pick. Two top 5 pick misses in 3 drafts is not something fans will forget.

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Differently? yes for sure. Just not drafting Virtanen and picking Ehlers (and to a lesser extent Nylander) alone would have the Canucks in a much different and better spot. For me, if Juolevi can make the team at least show legit top 4 potential than I won't quibble about that pick. I also feel the Juolevi pick gets overly criticized because of the Virtanen pick. Two top 5 pick misses in 3 drafts is not something fans will forget.
Well hopefully the Pettersson pick takes some of the sting away from all of the others..

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Well hopefully the Pettersson pick takes some of the sting away from all of the others..

Given that Boeser is better than all of Ehlers, Nylander, Tkachuk, etc, I think a lot of the sting has already been negated. A Pettersson-Horvat 1-2 punch at center for the next 10-12 years also looks to be quite promising.

Then, when you factor in that Tryamkin will very likely return to us at some point, that’s a hell of a lot of positives if you ask me.

How does Juolevi look this year by the way?

If it helps people at all, just replace the names of “Virtanen” and “Juolevi” with “Boeser” and “Tryamkin.”

1) Boeser is better than Ehlers and Nylander
2) Tryamkin is as valuable as Tkachuk.

Last edited:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Baertschi for a young RHD. Goldobin takes Baertschi’s spot

Was wondering what you guys thought about this idea? Goldobin is cheaper and younger than Baertschi. Although Goldobin didn’t exactly light it up while he was with the big club, he does seem like a guy that has outgrown the AHL.

I don’t know if I’m fully on board with this idea, but I’m interested to see if Baertschi could land us a young decent RHD that can play (or have a great chance of developing into) a 2nd pairing defensemen.

Goldobin then gets promoted to the Top 6. Given where Goldobin is in his development, I feel confident that he could “grow” into a Top 6 role with a little more ice-time.

On the flip side of all this, the “Russian factor” scares me a bit (I.e. him going back to the KHL at the flip of a dime).

However - if Goldobin can grow into that Top 6 role with enough ice-time (I think he’s beyond the AHL at this point), and you could swing Baertschi for a young RHD that would be a worthy #4, then I think it might be worth considering. Goldobin isn’t that far off from Baertschi, and the Canucks are in dire need of a solid defenseman that can play the right side.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Baertschi for a young RHD. Goldobin takes Baertschi’s spot

Was wondering what you guys thought about this idea? Goldobin is cheaper and younger than Baertschi. Although Goldobin didn’t exactly light it up while he was with the big club, he does seem like a guy that has outgrown the AHL.

I don’t know if I’m fully on board with this idea, but I’m interested to see if Baertschi could land us a young decent RHD that can play (or have a great chance of developing into) a 2nd pairing defensemen.

Goldobin then gets promoted to the Top 6. Given where Goldobin is in his development, I feel confident that he could “grow” into a Top 6 role with a little more ice-time.

On the flip side of all this, the “Russian factor” scares me a bit (I.e. him going back to the KHL at the flip of a dime).

However - if Goldobin can grow into that Top 6 role with enough ice-time (I think he’s beyond the AHL at this point), and you could swing Baertschi for a young RHD that would be a worthy #4, then I think it might be worth considering. Goldobin isn’t that far off from Baertschi, and the Canucks are in dire need of a solid defenseman that can play the right side.
Could probably get a prospect like Rasmus Andersson for him

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Maybe Nashville is a fit for Baertschi?
They have Carrier/Dougherty who could be young RHD's to come back. Also Grant Mismash looks interesting. Could always ask for picks back.
I'd love to see Dougherty + 2nd.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
1) Boeser is better than Ehlers and Nylander
2) Tryamkin is as valuable as Tkachuk.
Tryamkin as valuable as Tkachuk? Are you serious? A defenceman that was ok but not great when he was here and that jumped to Russia the first chance he got is as valuable as a 20 year old winger on pace for almost 60 points?????
Absolutely absurd.

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
Definitely hope Tryamkin comes back someday but I'm a little leery of getting hopes too high. Mat Robinson has been named KHL defenceman of the month three times in the past two years and he's a guy who couldn't even crack the AHL, so hard to read too much into that award.

Tryamkin had a decent rookie season, but he was playing less than 17 minutes a game and looked like he was tracking to be a reliable if offensively limited mid-pairing defender, not a whole lot more. Unless his game has taken a quantum leap in the past year (has anyone even seen him play?) I don't think he's close to as valuable as Tkachuk.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
What about Vanek to Calgary for Kylington and Jagr?

We could maybe add a small prospect like Brassard or McKenzie or McEneny. I actually think McEneny might be a good fit, I seem to remember them wanting an LHD for the bottom pairing. He is injured right now though.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Definitely hope Tryamkin comes back someday but I'm a little leery of getting hopes too high. Mat Robinson has been named KHL defenceman of the month three times in the past two years and he's a guy who couldn't even crack the AHL, so hard to read too much into that award.

Tryamkin had a decent rookie season, but he was playing less than 17 minutes a game and looked like he was tracking to be a reliable if offensively limited mid-pairing defender, not a whole lot more. Unless his game has taken a quantum leap in the past year (has anyone even seen him play?) I don't think he's close to as valuable as Tkachuk.

Have a look at this article.

Based on this article, it really does look like Tryamkin has taken a significant leap in his game. How that would translate to the NHL, we don't know, but I think it's a good read:

Vancouver Canucks: Nikita Tryamkin fits Travis Green’s system

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Is he? If so I don’t think by much.

Baertschi has scored at a 20 goal and 40+ point pace the past two seasons. Add in he's a still just a RFA, and to a contender/playoff team looking to add a good top 6/9 forward, that's a 2nd and a prospect.

That being said, he's not being traded until the likes of Lind, Dahlen and to a lesser extent Goldobin (or his return) make the team full time.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017

Based on this article, it really does look like Tryamkin has taken a significant leap in his game. How that would translate to the NHL, we don't know, but I think it's a good read:

That's pretty much just a recitation of his stats (and I'm not sure why a career high in PIM is a good thing). Again, it would be great if he was improving by leaps and bounds, but hard to tell from this. Hope we'll be able to see him play at the Olympics.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Baertschi has scored at a 20 goal and 40+ point pace the past two seasons. Add in he's a still just a RFA, and to a contender/playoff team looking to add a good top 6/9 forward, that's a 2nd and a prospect.

That being said, he's not being traded until the likes of Lind, Dahlen and to a lesser extent Goldobin (or his return) make the team full time.

What is your precedent?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Pace is key. I don’t see any team giving up a second and a worthwhile prospect for Baertschi

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012

yet somehow you've deduced he's better than Tkachuk. Stop with these outlandish, unbacked up crazy opinions, and maybe, just maybe, someone will engage you in a positive discussion like you seem to want.

Until then its kind of like "debating" with an old man yelling at clouds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino