Roster and Fantasy GM Thread: Pre-Draft Silly Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
ATTENTION THE CANUCKS ON THE LOOKOUT FOR ANOTHER USELESS OVERATED PLUG

There was a tweet in the post replied to that had the Canucks looking for another Derek Dorsett type.

I have a bit of trouble understanding, if that is the case, why the Canucks haven't given Archibald a try. He was injured earlier in the season, but is back and reportedly playing well on a hard-hitting line for the Comets. He is bigger than Dorsett, probably tougher than Dorsett, can be an intimidating presence, provides pushback and had a breakthrough (by tough guy standards) offensive year last season in Utica under Green. He probably fights less than Dorsett but can be an intimidating presence and showed really well in preseason, lasting until almost the very end despite not being signed to an NHL contract and the Canucks already being committed to Dorsett as their tough-guy winger. The decision at the time seemed to be between keeping the younger Virtanen and Archibald.

If they really want some pushback I'd have expected them to sign Archibald to a 2-way at the NHL minimum and give him a try. If he doesn't work out they could send him back down and the only thing lost is the Comets not having Archibald available while Archibald gets his tryout.

Can one of the Utica posters say whether there's some obvious defect so that he's just not good enough to be a 4th liner in the NHL? Obviously we Canuck fans haven's seen much of him for about four seasons.

I think the concern from WTG is valid. I don't have a great problem with the third rounder for Dorsett, though extending him for four years at $2.65 mill per was ludicrous, but the trades for Gudbranson and Prust worked out horribly. I'd really rather not see Benning give up more young assets for whatever aging toughness some other team doesn't want at this time of year, particularly if he may have at least a fill-in available with no acquisition cost that wouldn't put much of a dent in the salary cap.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Part of being a "Derek Dorsett" type guy is having pretty good speed and being able to contribute on the penalty-kill. If they are looking to replace those things (along with the toughness) then I agree this is something the team needs to add. If they just want someone to fight, that's different.

They have lost multiple types of this kind of player recently - Dorsett retired, Hansen traded, Burrows slowed down & then traded.

Reactions: Nomobo

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Part of being a "Derek Dorsett" type guy is having pretty good speed and being able to contribute on the penalty-kill. If they are looking to replace those things (along with the toughness) then I agree this is something the team needs to add. If they just want someone to fight, that's different.

They have lost multiple types of this kind of player recently - Dorsett retired, Hansen traded, Burrows slowed down & then traded.
Did we just get Dowd for that role,,,i dont get Benning,,,

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Haven't done this in a while but lets give it a shot.

Ken Holland as GM
- Sedins Retire
- Sign Tavares
- Sign E.Kane
- Sign Vanek
- Insert Pettersson, Juolevi, Gaudette into the line-up

Kane-Tavares-Boeser
Pettersson-Horvat-Vanek
Baertschi-Gaudette-Eriksson
Gagner-Sutter-Virtanen

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Stecher
Juolevi-Del Zotto

Markstrom
Nilsson

The forward group is absolutely set, we just need to ramp up the defence and wait for Demko to be ready in there NHL. I can see them being serious contenders in two years with that line-up. However, if we get Dahlin this year.....we're off to the races.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I’m not sure if Pettersson will beready to be a center in the league next year which is why I’d like to see him start the year on the wing and ideally center his own line in 2019/2020. My target for free agency would be Mikael Backlund, as he’s a guy that probably would regularly be in Selke conversation if he scored a few more points.

I’m hoping the new regime can find a way to get out of the Sutter and Gagner contracts as they’re taking over valuable place down the middle, but I do think moving Sutter would be difficult.

Also hoping their able to bring in a defender capable of moving the puck and running. power play. That’s clearly been the teams biggest need since Ehrhoff left. The recent news of Benning choosing Sbisa over Vatanen is one of the most outrageous things I’ve ever read.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Haven't done this in a while but lets give it a shot.

Ken Holland as GM
- Sedins Retire
- Sign Tavares
- Sign E.Kane
- Sign Vanek
- Insert Pettersson, Juolevi, Gaudette into the line-up

Kane-Tavares-Boeser
Pettersson-Horvat-Vanek
Baertschi-Gaudette-Eriksson
Gagner-Sutter-Virtanen

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Stecher
Juolevi-Del Zotto

Markstrom
Nilsson

The forward group is absolutely set, we just need to ramp up the defence and wait for Demko to be ready in there NHL. I can see them being serious contenders in two years with that line-up. However, if we get Dahlin this year.....we're off to the races.
Doubt that Tavares is signing here,but yes Holland will blow all the cap space on a couple of vets to get us into the playoffs..Other than that it looks like Bennings team.

Reactions: tyhee

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
We should absolutely be all over John Tavares. Very doubtful he signs here but he's a franchise #1C. Would allow Bo to be the 1B Center. Tavares-Horvat-Gaudette-Sutter down the middle next year.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Could Archibald or Labate be a Dorsett replacement?

Labate not a chance. The guy is an AHL 4th liner. Simply doesn't have the skill to compete at this level. Archibald might be worth a look.

As for Tavares, we should obviously be doing our homework on him but the odds he signs here are minuscule. We might be the single most unattractive destination in the entire NHL for him right now.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Labate not a chance. The guy is an AHL 4th liner. Simply doesn't have the skill to compete at this level. Archibald might be worth a look.

As for Tavares, we should obviously be doing our homework on him but the odds he signs here are minuscule. We might be the single most unattractive destination in the entire NHL for him right now.
Jim missed out on Subban+Stamkos. I think he tries to fry the big fish this offseason.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Jim missed out on Subban+Stamkos. I think he tries to fry the big fish this offseason.

I'm sure he'll try if he's still here.

Doesn't mean that Tavares will want anything to do with this mess.

He'll have 10+ comparable offers from more competitive teams in better climates on the East Coast with better travel, closer to his family.

Reactions: timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

He'll have 10+ comparable offers from more competitive teams in better climates on the East Coast with better travel, closer to his family.

Report: "Wants to play for team that is doing everything it can to win"

Sure doesn't sound like the Vancouver Canucks right now (or for next 4-5 years).

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

i dunno if there are 10 american cities on the east coast with better climates than vancouver, let alone 10 nhl-ready destinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad