Prospect Info: Roope Hintz 2nd Round 49th Overall 2015 Draft.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Another 3rd line player.. which is fine we need them but christ let's not beat around the bush here that we have any half decent (Top6F/Top4D) prospects outside of Heiskanen/Robertson.

Hintz has played well, much better than Elie and Dickinson. Hintz and Bayreuther are the only young players that have shown/impressed me at all in the Calder Cup Finals.

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
Both were reaches according to most rankings.

On my rankings I had originally put Guryanov somewhere in the 9-15 range until I found out about his KHL contract and the concerns that he would stay in Russia. I ended up with him ranked #31.

The guy I really wanted with our first was Barzal, who now has 84pts in 54 games in the Juniors. I'm still choked up a bit over missing on him.

Hintz was higher on my list than on all of the scouting outlets. I had him at #39...so I liked getting him with the 49th pick. Hintz has improved on his #'s in Finland significantly year-over-year. That looks to be a good pick.

Though the guy I REALLY wanted with our 49th pick actually wasn't Hintz...it was Bracco, who I had ranked #14 on my list. Bracco has 57 pts in 44 games with the Kitchener Rangers this season. I enjoy keeping track of my own lists after the draft to see if I'm half a scout haha.
Out of curiosity how are the guys on your draft list doing now? Roope seems like a slam dunk this far for 49th. OP's description of the talent also seems pretty spot on what comes to his attributes

Reactions: Elysian

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Out of curiosity how are the guys on your draft list doing now? Roope seems like a slam dunk this far for 49th. OP's description of the talent also seems pretty spot on what comes to his attributes
I think Guri will become an NHL'er, but don't think he was worth a 1st rounder for. I think Oettinger, though just starting his pro career, has what it takes to make the NHL in the next few years, been impressed with him for the most part here in Cedar Park outside of a couple of games. Bow might as well, but not really 100% on him yet. Desrosier doesn't have what it takes, but he'll be a decent AHL goalie. Camaano I think could make his way to the NHL in the next year or two, he plays with an edge, and scores some good goals from time to time, but didn't really light the AHL on fire.

Our best hope in TX right now is Le'esperance, who was undrafted. He may just be another Travis Morin though, lights the AHL up for years but never really fits in the NHL.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Looking better with Rope clearly top 6 and Jason D clearly top 9 material (if he stops taking shots to the head). With Miro, Otter and probably Robersrtson looking good, JN's drafting seems to be getting better. Of course, we don't know if its random luck or a trend based on some change in their scouting and draft philosophy, but we'll take recent results.

Reactions: Elysian

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Is there no end to this guy's development. He's been very good in SC playoffs so far. 4+3 in 8 games, that's almost PPG! I always thought there was kind of softness in his game, but now he's winning one-to-ones and playing like a power forward.. what's going on?!?

Reactions: Brass Bonanza

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
The
Is there no end to this guy's development. He's been very good in SC playoffs so far. 4+3 in 8 games, that's almost PPG! I always thought there was kind of softness in his game, but now he's winning one-to-ones and playing like a power forward.. what's going on?!?

Looking better with Rope clearly top 6 and Jason D clearly top 9 material (if he stops taking shots to the head). With Miro, Otter and probably Robersrtson looking good, JN's drafting seems to be getting better. Of course, we don't know if its random luck or a trend based on some change in their scouting and draft philosophy, but we'll take recent results.

Nill could have taken Makar and still looked great, which is another way of saying it was a can't miss pick for a competent GM. However, I'll give Nill credit for Hintz, if/when he puts in his first full season of top 6 level production and that goes for the other hopefuls. The bar needs to be higher than not screwing up a lottery pick and being the Night King of depth fillers.

Last edited:

northstars

May 11, 2016
Saskatchewan
Lots of negative takes on Hintz in this thread.
A lot of those negative takes happened before he even played a single game in the NHL. That attitude was at least partially forgivable given the Stars penchant for poor drafting for so many years.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
To think they almost traded him to Ottawa or offered him for Karlsson and Duchene. GMJN was lucky that Ottawa didn't take that bait.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
The entire AHL roster is full of NHL busts. Hintz is probably the only AHL player that will have any kind of meaningful NHL career.
Lots of negative takes on Hintz in this thread.
It does help with his surrounding cast with other Finnish players and other young players. Adds to a comfort level. Not sure if that would be as apparent if he was on another team.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Let's say both Eriksson and Robertson have similar or even a better impact than Hintz, should we just trade our firsts every year for more second round picks? Lol
Depends on where the first is. if it is outside the top 3, with McDonnell and Nill. Yeah trade it. If it is top 3, well they're 1 for 1 with those picks as opposed to 0-7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad