Prospect Info: Roope Hintz 2nd Round 49th Overall 2015 Draft.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
HIFK won FEL regular season and they made playoffs.
Hintz is big part of HIFK's team and he won't come to Texas this season.

Also Hintz's pro contract with HIFK finishing spring 2017.
If / when Hintz will come over to Texas it'll happen autumn 2017 not earlier.

That's exactly what I said with the exception of the part about this spring which could still absolutely happen. Dallas does it regularly. I never suggested they'd bring him over before his season ended. The FEL playoffs in all likelihood will end before Texas' season is completed. The examples are numerous of Euro players coming to Austin after they are eliminated from the playoffs are even after winning it all ... see John Klingberg of a guy joining after the SHL playoffs were completed.

Of the top of my head, Klingberg, Lindell, Janmark, and Bystrom came to Texas after the completion of their season only to return to Europe the following season. Janmark is a little unique in that every intention was for him to return to Europe this season, but he just forced his way onto the roster.

It's hardly an unreasonable suggestion.

wloff

May 25, 2013
Hintz had a pretty fantastic game tonight in Game 1 in the semi-finals against JYP. He scored two super important goals, both on breakaways, to turn the game around (HIFK were down 0-2 but eventually won 4-2, Hintz scored the 2-2 and 3-2 goals).

The kid is fast!

Hintz now has 2G & 3A in 7 playoff games.

I really hope we can keep him for at least one more season here in Finland - his development has been great, and he could potentially lead the 1st line next season for us if he keeps up progressing like this. After that, he should be ready to jump straight in the big league.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The Stars have no reason to rush anything with the Center depth we have. Unless in development camp / tournament he absolutely dominates and basically forces himself into training camp and subsequently next years Stars roster he's going to stay in Finnland .

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
He'll be much better off playing on a scoring line in Finland than as a bottom 6 forward in Dallas next season. There's zero need to bring him over in the next year.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Great pick. Looking forward to seeing him continue to progress. Maybe we'll see him in CP in the playoffs this season?....depending on how his postseason goes in Finland.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I really hope we can keep him for at least one more season here in Finland - his development has been great, and he could potentially lead the 1st line next season for us if he keeps up progressing like this. After that, he should be ready to jump straight in the big league.

I'd say there's a 90% chance you get your wish. Due to ELC rules for his age and having a birthdate before Dec. 31st, they won't burn a year on his ELC.

He'll be much better off playing on a scoring line in Finland than as a bottom 6 forward in Dallas next season. There's zero need to bring him over in the next year.

He's eligible to play in the AHL full time since he's a Euro draft pick. Even if he wasn't though, turning 20 before Dec. 31st would allow him to play in the AHL full time even had been drafted out of the CHL.

Playing in Dallas is unlikely even on the radar at this point. That said, I've never seen a drafted prospect play in the AHL without an ELC. i don't even know if that's permitted. I would assume it's not. The key here is him signing an ELC would mean that it doesn't slide and they'd be burning a year of waivers. It doesn't slide because the reason I've mentioned before, but the loss of a waiver year at his age would be the bigger issue.

It's not so much a contract/cap money issue because his bridge deal would come a year sooner. It would be an issue because Dallas is about to have the same type of log jam in the NHL at forward they have on defense. You need as many waiver years as possible.

I do think though that if the contract (both his potential ELC and his current commitment to HIFK next year) were no issue, it'd almost be a no brainer for him to play in Texas. In the real world though with his current contract situation, he's basically a lock to return to Finland unless Nill pulls a 180.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
When Hintz comes over, can he bring the rights to that goal horn song as well?

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
I'd say there's a 90% chance you get your wish. Due to ELC rules for his age and having a birthdate before Dec. 31st, they won't burn a year on his ELC.

He's eligible to play in the AHL full time since he's a Euro draft pick. Even if he wasn't though, turning 20 before Dec. 31st would allow him to play in the AHL full time even had been drafted out of the CHL.

Playing in Dallas is unlikely even on the radar at this point. That said, I've never seen a drafted prospect play in the AHL without an ELC. i don't even know if that's permitted. I would assume it's not. The key here is him signing an ELC would mean that it doesn't slide and they'd be burning a year of waivers. It doesn't slide because the reason I've mentioned before, but the loss of a waiver year at his age would be the bigger issue.

It's not so much a contract/cap money issue because his bridge deal would come a year sooner. It would be an issue because Dallas is about to have the same type of log jam in the NHL at forward they have on defense. You need as many waiver years as possible.

I do think though that if the contract (both his potential ELC and his current commitment to HIFK next year) were no issue, it'd almost be a no brainer for him to play in Texas. In the real world though with his current contract situation, he's basically a lock to return to Finland unless Nill pulls a 180.

I'm pretty sure he can play in the AHL without burning a year of his contract ala Nylander w/ TOR last season. There are several other examples as well, one being Pastrnak (until the Bruins called him up), and others.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I'm pretty sure he can play in the AHL without burning a year of his contract ala Nylander w/ TOR last season. There are several other examples as well, one being Pastrnak (until the Bruins called him up), and others.

Or Honka for instance?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Pastrnak and Nylander turned 18 after Dec 31st, and Honka signed immediately after being drafted. That's the difference.

If Honka played had not signed his contract, played in the WHL, and then signed a contract, his contract would not have slid this year.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a
Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season
under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry
Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that
this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to
Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December
31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC

I don't think the rule makes a ton of sense, but it's in the CBA. The confusion ... and one of the dumbest things about the CBA ... is age is not always defined the same way.

Sometimes age is defined as age on 9/15, and sometimes age is defined as age on 7/1. This is actually a third instance where the player is technically 19 because for the purpose of an ELC ... your age is how old you are on 9/15 ... but in this one unique case you don't receive the standard benefit of being a 19 year old by virtue of turning 20 between 9/16 and 12/31.

No one said this league makes reasonable decisions. LOL

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
To try and make it clearer.

Honka's birthday is 12/3/1995. He signed an ELC on 9/28/2014. When he was 18 years old. The clause above allows 18 and 19 year old players ELC to slide. The only exception is a 19 year old player born between 9/16 and 12/31 ... which Honka is ... but the clause specifically says they must have first signed their contract at 19. Honka was 18 so he's fine.

Hintz's birthday is 11/17/96, and he is currently unsigned and 19 years old. Even if he signs over the summer, his contract age is how old he would be on 9/15 ... which is still 19 years old. That's the rub here. He's a 19 year old player turning 20 between 9/16 and 12/31 ... eliminating him from the 19 year old contract slide.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
So it's like determining age for overage/AHL eligibility...Jan. 1?

Yes. It's using the AHL age essentially as determined by the CHL-NHL agreement. If you're 20 on or before Dec. 31, you can leave the CHL to play in the AHL. The AHL doesn't care one way or the other.

I was thinking last night, maybe this weird clause had something to do with the CHL-AHL agreement, but if it did, why would it impact all players? I really just can't think that exception is there. I mean ... it impact such a small, small percentage of players. You're talking about a 3.5 month period that strips the team of the slide option.

They only thing I could come up with, and it's still tied to that CHL-NHL agreement, more often than not, you don't sign draft picks right away unless it's a top pick. It's not a hard and fast rule, but it is rare. Therefore, even though the CHL budged enough to give a small number of 19 year old players a pass to the AHL sooner, this risk of losing an ELC year in the AHL if you sign the player as a 19 year old would probably encourage most teams to just leave them in their developmental league as an overage.

IDK ... it's not a good explanation, but like I said I can't think of one that actually makes sense.

David Bondra

Apr 5, 2016
Dallas, Texas
I wrote a report somewhere else about Hintz and my report essentially said everything everyone is saying here. I love Hintz. Great playmaker, great offensive instincts, he is big, he is mobile, in all just a heck of a player who was drafted in the second round mind you. I personally cannot wait to see what he can do in the NHL, hopefully he can be an effective second liner who puts up 50 points or even 60 points as he is more than talented enough to do that.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Roope Hintz got some injury in HIFK's Champions Hockey League game last sunday against Danish team Esbjerg. Hintz will be sidelined next 4-6 weeks.
This injury came really bad time Hintz was projected to HIFK's 1st line centerman this season. Dammit but this is hockey.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Roope Hintz got some injury in HIFK's Champions Hockey League game last sunday against Danish team Esbjerg. Hintz will be sidelined next 4-6 weeks.
This injury came really bad time Hintz was projected to HIFK's 1st line centerman this season. Dammit but this is hockey.

Frustrating. Every year one of our top prospects seems to get injured early in the season.

Hintz is one of the ones for whom I have the highest expectations. I hope it is a broken bone, and not a joint injury. 4-6 weeks....my bet is a broken bone.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Frustrating. Every year one of our top prospects seems to get injured early in the season.

Hintz is one of the ones for whom I have the highest expectations. I hope it is a broken bone, and not a joint injury. 4-6 weeks....my bet is a broken bone.

HIFK hasn't announced exactly timeline when Hintz is back that 4-6 weeks is only an estimate.
FEL competition rules prohibit teams from telling any details to the public about the player's injury

Only what i know ( i'm HIFK fan) is that Hintz injured 1st period and went to locker room with HIFK's team Doctor.
Hintz didn't return back to game after 1st period.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Roope Hintz has been chosen for Team Finland's men's national team.
He'll play his first men's national team games next weeks Channel One Cup EHT ( Euro Hockey Tour) tournament in Russia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad