Prospect Info: Roope Hintz 2nd Round 49th Overall 2015 Draft.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Roope Hintz has been chosen for Team Finland's men's national team.
He'll play his first men's national team games next weeks Channel One Cup EHT ( Euro Hockey Tour) tournament in Russia.

Great news! That will be fantastic experience for him.

marty182

Jul 19, 2013
that guy is on fire right now! got 7 goals and 11 points in last 10 games, 2nd best player on the team, playing on the first line

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Does he fight though? Need more fighter if Sanvido doesn't pan out. How is cross?

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Roope Hintz scored HIFK's 5th goal and assisted 2 HIFK's goals tonight's FEL quarterfinal game vs TPS Turku.
HIFK leads TPS series 3-2 and they have chance to clinch FEL semifinal spot Friday night if they'll win TPS in home soil.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Roope Hintz scored HIFK's 5th goal and assisted 2 HIFK's goals tonight's FEL quarterfinal game vs TPS Turku.
HIFK leads TPS series 3-2 and they have chance to clinch FEL semifinal spot Friday night if they'll win TPS in home soil.

How many times did he clear the crease? We need a left shot for Klingberg who can clear the crease.

Zapp

Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
How many times did he clear the crease? We need a left shot for Klingberg who can clear the crease.

Yeah uh, these aren't funny. Good try though :handclap:

Anyway, my money is on Hintz stealing Shore/Eakin's spot next year. Excited to have him come over.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003

Anyway, my money is on Hintz stealing Shore/Eakin's spot next year. Excited to have him come over.

I've got high hopes for Hintz as well.

Oh yeah...and I loved Swat Katz!

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

I discourage you from putting any actual money on this but I imagine you could get spectacular odds.

Kuhta

Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
I don´t see Hintz in the NHL but of course I hope that I am wrong. At times he seems not dynamic enough in Liiga so hard to see how he could have an impact in the NHL.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I don´t see Hintz in the NHL but of course I hope that I am wrong. At times he seems not dynamic enough in Liiga so hard to see how he could have an impact in the NHL.

I don't see Hintz as a gamebreaker. If he can be a winger version of Faksa, I will be happy. That's what I envision with him. Good all-around player, heavy game, and he's got good wheels. Middle-6 winger.

Unfortunately the Finns have terrible Beard games. I don't see him replacing the beards we lost in Jordie and Eaves.

Zapp

Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla

Care to explain why you think this? Not being hostile just genuinely curious. Youngest forward​ on HIFK and 2nd youngest active roster player for them. 2nd in points on the team and tied for 1st in goals for the regular season.

He's not Patrik Laine, but he did score more goals in less games this season than Laine did in his last season with Tappara. Laine scored 17g in 46GP with Tappara last season and Hintz had 19g in 44GP this season. Not to mention last time I checked Hintz had 7p in 8GP for HIFK in the playoffs. Idk if he scored his recent hattrick in the playoffs against assat but if he did then his playoff point total is even higher.

There's also pretty much no question that Hintz is better defensively than Laine is so I'm just not sure why you came to the conclusion he's not dynamic enough. Scoring goals for his team in the regular season and being a great playmaker in the international tournaments for Finland, while also being a go to centermen in Finlands top 6 (usually 1st line).

I'm truly not trying to say Hintz is better than Laine, but there is a lot of evidence that points to him being just as productive and much more versatile. He's going to be an NHLer, how good I have no idea, but Dallas had him ranked pretty highly his draft year and would've selected him late in the 1st round if they had the pick. Instead got him in the 2nd.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Care to explain why you think this? Not being hostile just genuinely curious. Youngest forward​ on HIFK and 2nd youngest active roster player for them. 2nd in points on the team and tied for 1st in goals for the regular season.

He's not Patrik Laine, but he did score more goals in less games this season than Laine did in his last season with Tappara. Laine scored 17g in 46GP with Tappara last season and Hintz had 19g in 44GP this season. Not to mention last time I checked Hintz had 7p in 8GP for HIFK in the playoffs. Idk if he scored his recent hattrick in the playoffs against assat but if he did then his playoff point total is even higher.

There's also pretty much no question that Hintz is better defensively than Laine is so I'm just not sure why you came to the conclusion he's not dynamic enough. Scoring goals for his team in the regular season and being a great playmaker in the international tournaments for Finland, while also being a go to centermen in Finlands top 6 (usually 1st line).

I'm truly not trying to say Hintz is better than Laine, but there is a lot of evidence that points to him being just as productive and much more versatile. He's going to be an NHLer, how good I have no idea, but Dallas had him ranked pretty highly his draft year and would've selected him late in the 1st round if they had the pick. Instead got him in the 2nd.

Hintz has a lot of tools.

I do think he has upside to be a Chris Kreider with perhaps a better all-around game.

I was very happy to get him his draft year. I agree that he is going to be a NHLer.

As far as his production in Liiga is concerned, I think he's doing well enough. That league is comparable to the AHL, so he's got respectable numbers for his age...he's not lighting the world on fire and didn't take a marked step forward statistically this year...hard to gauge just on stats as to his improvement over last season. His post season performance is promising. I put much more value on post season stats than regular season. Historically, his post season numbers are hit or miss, so it it's hard to say still at this point if he's a "big game player".

I do think his style is NHL-made, and that he'll translate his game to NA very well. Next season in the AHL will be pretty telling.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

It should be self evident at this point that some games translate to the NHL and some don't. Just looking at his point totals is not particularly useful and none of your evidence is about the dynamism in his game. The difference isn't just that you are comparing Laine's draft year with Hintz's +2 but that Laine has a lot going for him athletically as well. People like Laine have a lot of NHL success and there's a reason Hintz was taken in the 2nd round.

Zapp

Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
It should be self evident at this point that some games translate to the NHL and some don't. Just looking at his point totals is not particularly useful and none of your evidence is about the dynamism in his game. The difference isn't just that you are comparing Laine's draft year with Hintz's +2 but that Laine has a lot going for him athletically as well. People like Laine have a lot of NHL success and there's a reason Hintz was taken in the 2nd round.

You could have easily just said you disagree for no particular reason and would've gotten the same point across. You didn't say anything that discredits my argument other than "Laine has a lot going for him athletically" and "Hintz was taken in the 2nd round". That part of your argument is especially ridiculous seeing as how I stated that Dallas would've taken him 1st round if they had another pick.

“We had him in the top 15 on our list. He’s a big power forward, has decent hands but is more of a straight line power guy. Real good skater and very effective player for Finland at the U-20s (World Junior Championship).” – Joe McDonnell, Stars Director of Amateur Scouting

“He’s a great skater, good size but light frame still. He has good hands. I think he fits the style of how we play. I just like his overall game.” – Kari Takko, Stars Director of European Scouting.

Seems I'm not the only one who thinks his game will translate to the NHL.

Edit: Also forgot to mention he was injured for 5 months in 2015-16 missing all of his training camp and the first 2 months of his season, then came back and didn't miss a step. Helped his team get to the league championship series and also won a gold medal with Finland. Was 1st line center between Laine and Saarela for Finland's U20 team at the Four Country Tourney, and was Captain of that team. Do we just ignore that kind of résumé because he was drafted in the 2nd round and his last name isn't Puljujarvi or Laine? C'mon.

Last edited:

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
You could have easily just said you disagree for no particular reason and would've gotten the same point across. You didn't say anything that discredits my argument other than "Laine has a lot going for him athletically" and "Hintz was taken in the 2nd round". That part of your argument is especially ridiculous seeing as how I stated that Dallas would've taken him 1st round if they had another pick.

Seems I'm not the only one who thinks his game will translate to the NHL.

Edit: Also forgot to mention he was injured for 5 months in 2015-16 missing all of his training camp and the first 2 months of his season, then came back and didn't miss a step. Helped his team get to the league championship series and also won a gold medal with Finland. Was 1st line center between Laine and Saarela for Finland's U20 team at the Four Country Tourney, and was Captain of that team. Do we just ignore that kind of résumé because he was drafted in the 2nd round and his last name isn't Puljujarvi or Laine? C'mon.

I'm trying in vain to make dynamism a thing you can understand in written form. I guess the easiest way is to look at those terms used by McDonnell and Takko and describe another player with exactly those strengths. It doesn't say anything about a shot, or about passing or stick handling, and straight lines make me think he doesn't have much trickery with the puck. What's the picture of that straight line player who can skate but doesn't have plus offensive skills look like for you? What role does he have on the Stars going forward?

I'd encourage you to look up the way our guys talked about Gurianov and Tufte. When guys have skills, people talk about them in these kinds of blurbs. A Finnish poster saying he's not dynamic fits perfectly with the quotes you posted and I suspect they have more experience watching him than you or I or the boxscores.

I'd really like Hintz to work out and be a bigger Janmark or a more defensive Nichushkin, but his cieling is right around where Faksa is and the only reason to give him a 1st round grade is if the draft was weak. But that's not what you said:
there is a lot of evidence that points to him being just as productive and much more versatile
Laine is much more versatile, he can play on any line in any league because goal scoring is all-important in hockey. Laine has more goals in 70 NHL games than Hintz has in 126 SM Liiga games, even if they were the same age there is no comparison between the two in terms of productivity. As I said, Laine's draft year is better than Hintz's draft+2 and he had 2 fewer points in 18 playoff games in his draft year as Hintz had in 42 regular season ones in his.

Zapp

Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
I'm trying in vain to make dynamism a thing you can understand in written form. I guess the easiest way is to look at those terms used by McDonnell and Takko and describe another player with exactly those strengths. It doesn't say anything about a shot, or about passing or stick handling, and straight lines make me think he doesn't have much trickery with the puck. What's the picture of that straight line player who can skate but doesn't have plus offensive skills look like for you? What role does he have on the Stars going forward?

I'd encourage you to look up the way our guys talked about Gurianov and Tufte. When guys have skills, people talk about them in these kinds of blurbs. A Finnish poster saying he's not dynamic fits perfectly with the quotes you posted and I suspect they have more experience watching him than you or I or the boxscores.

I'd really like Hintz to work out and be a bigger Janmark or a more defensive Nichushkin, but his cieling is right around where Faksa is and the only reason to give him a 1st round grade is if the draft was weak. But that's not what you said:

Laine is much more versatile, he can play on any line in any league because goal scoring is all-important in hockey. Laine has more goals in 70 NHL games than Hintz has in 126 SM Liiga games, even if they were the same age there is no comparison between the two in terms of productivity. As I said, Laine's draft year is better than Hintz's draft+2 and he had 2 fewer points in 18 playoff games in his draft year as Hintz had in 42 regular season ones in his.

I'm not sure you understand what the word versatile means, or the word dynamic for that matter. In fact your argument is incredibly hard to follow because it's all over the place and you're using extremely vague thinking and talking points. Did you really just say Hintz's draft year was weak too? You know he was drafted in 2015 right?

1 Connor McDavid
2 Jack Eichel
3 Dylan Strome
4 Mitchell Marner
5 Noah Hanifin
6 Pavel Zacha
7 Ivan Provorov
8 Zach Werenski
9 Timo Meier
10 Mikko Rantanen
11 Lawson Crouse
12 Denis Guryanov
13 Jakub Zboril
14 Jake DeBrusk
15 Zachary Senyshyn
16 Mathew Barzal
17 Kyle Connor
18 Thomas Chabot
19 Evgeny Svechnikov
20 Joel Eriksson Ek
21 Colin White
22 Ilya Samsonov
23 Brock Boeser
24 Travis Konecny
25 Jack Roslovic
26 Noah Juulsen
27 Jacob Larsson
28 Anthony Beauvillier
29 Gabriel Carlsson
30 Nick Merkley

There's constant complaints about not taking those bottom 15 players over Guryanov, yet seemingly Dallas would have also taken Hintz above those players as well. So now you're treading the line that you know these players much better than Dallas' scouts, which we already know plenty of fans like to think that but you'd be hard pressed for someone to take you seriously on that.

If you're going to tell me that McDonnell is pandering by saying Hintz was in Dallas' top 15 then there's no room for logic in this argument and the discussion should end there. Sebastian Aho is a smaller version of Hintz with better skating, he was drafted in the 2nd round as well and is tearing it up for Carolina. You wanna explain that phenomenon?

Also, I don't know how many times I stated that I'm not saying Hintz and Laine are comparable in this aspect. I'm just using Laine as a benchmark for how players produce in the Liiga and used those numbers to Hintz favor.

Laine is not a versatile player, he's an offensive weapon. His accurate and powerful shot and ability to seperate himself in the offensive zone is why he's thriving in the points category. Hintz is a high IQ 2-way forward with physical presence and great playmaking ability, all while being labled a straight to the net power-forward'esque type player. His only knock his draft year was that his skating is choppy and corners are wide, which i've seen improvements on both ends this year. That is versatility. It's also bold move assuming that just because someone is from Finland that they've had more exposure to Hintz than I have just because I used concrete stats as my talking points. I've watched quite a few of HIFK games this year, but I didn't use that in my initial argument because it's not relevant to my argument.

I could go on forever why your statements doesn't hold water but I'm not trying to get into a heated debate when I can't even tell what the end-game of your argument is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->