Rookie Tournament

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
I'm not trying to take anything away from Ottawa's rookie team performance but in fairness, those numbers are kind of misleading without context.

The group Ottawa sent definitely had more professional experience and that makes a big difference. Over 800 AHL games to Toronto's 250. Over 30 NHL games to Toronto's 0. And obviously while 13/20 may have been on the roster, fewer actually played in all three games. Pageau and Stone have played more NHL games than Toronto's entire blueline last night have played AHL games. It's pretty significant.

Exactly. The Sens went to win. Where was Blacker and Reilly (played only 1 game).

The only guy missing from Ottawa would have been Dz. Boroweicki, Hoffman and DaCosta would just have taken spots from the kids like Harpur and Dunn.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Exactly. The Sens went to win. Where was Blacker and Reilly (played only 1 game).

The only guy missing from Ottawa would have been Dz. Boroweicki, Hoffman and DaCosta would just have taken spots from the kids like Harpur and Dunn.

People don't seem to understand that Ottawa is using this tournament as an extension of their own camp. We can't bring all the guys to main camp who we think have a shot at the roster in the next few years. Its impossible. Too much depth. Guys like Schneider, Robinson and Wideman might not make it to the training camp roster but are still being looked at as potential call ups if another perfect storm of injuries happens. And while those guys are battling for recognition, other players like Dunn, Harpur and Dreidger who can't play in the AHL are fighting to show that they can usurp the others when they're eligible.

I think Chicago is following a similar routine as well. The Leafs are just behind the eight ball. Player development is very far down their list of priorities while Ottawa and Chicago have clearly made it one of the strong areas of their organizations.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
TSN showed highlights from all the Rookie Tourny games from last night except the Sens vs Leafs game. ahaha:laugh:

Pretty funny as they headline the highlight video:

Vincent Dunn scored two of the Senators six goals as they beat the Maple Leafs in the final.

But couldnt bring themselves to actually show any videos from the game at all.

I also found this headline a little odd:

Pageau dominates against Senators' rookies

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005

It looked like the Leafs were ready for some smash mouth hockey, they had some hulking guys out there and to be fair won all their fights.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
People don't seem to understand that Ottawa is using this tournament as an extension of their own camp. We can't bring all the guys to main camp who we think have a shot at the roster in the next few years. Its impossible. Too much depth. Guys like Schneider, Robinson and Wideman might not make it to the training camp roster but are still being looked at as potential call ups if another perfect storm of injuries happens. And while those guys are battling for recognition, other players like Dunn, Harpur and Dreidger who can't play in the AHL are fighting to show that they can usurp the others when they're eligible.

I think Chicago is following a similar routine as well. The Leafs are just behind the eight ball. Player development is very far down their list of priorities while Ottawa and Chicago have clearly made it one of the strong areas of their organizations.

You lost me here. Out of curiosity, what did the Leafs do in this tournament to suggest player development is "very far down their list of priorities"? They sat most of the guys who were going to be at main camp in order to see more from others who wouldn't get that chance.

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
Pretty funny as they headline the highlight video:

Vincent Dunn scored two of the Senators six goals as they beat the Maple Leafs in the final.

But couldnt bring themselves to actually show any videos from the game at all.

I also found this headline a little odd:

Pageau dominates against Senators' rookies

Ya I had to read that headline twice when I saw it. Odd for sure.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

You lost me here. Out of curiosity, what did the Leafs do in this tournament to suggest player development is "very far down their list of priorities"? They sat most of the guys who were going to be at main camp in order to see more from others who wouldn't get that chance.

Well, I feel like the lack of talent on the ice last night was enough evidence of that. Maybe I should rephrase it that scouting is far down their list of priorities? I mean we're talking about a franchise that signed David Clarkson to a ludicrous contract, backing themselves into a corner to the point where they can't sign one of their most important home grown players. Why develop players when you can just get the David Clarksons of the world?

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Well, I feel like the lack of talent on the ice last night was enough evidence of that. Maybe I should rephrase it that scouting is far down their list of priorities? I mean we're talking about a franchise that signed David Clarkson to a ludicrous contract, backing themselves into a corner to the point where they can't sign one of their most important home grown players. Why develop players when you can just get the David Clarksons of the world?
Or get two Clarksons. Saying contracts are ludicrous means you're of a different opinion than that of the Leafs management, but time will tell whether it's a good decision. It remains to be seen whether it's a good contract or not but several teams, including the Sens were interested in him.

They are backed into a corner, but it could simply be the Leafs aren't comfortable paying Kadri what he's asking for until they see more. I think the Leafs have been good recently with their prospects, it's just that the Sens have found very nice gem but that's not to say the Leafs are bad it.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Which, if any, do you see from these young guns to make the Sens this year?

I expect to see Pageau take a permanent role on the team as a top PKer.

Stone and Prince will most certainly get a call up at some point. Its not unfeasible for them to be on the roster on opening night, its just difficult with all the contracts blocking them. Their debuts will likely coincide with some injuries up front.

Claesson could get a call up. Again, this just depends on injuries. Ceci might need a month or so of AHL hockey, then I can see him get considered for a call up in an emergency.

Wideman probably does get the call at some point. He's coming along nicely and we may need a decent right shot option who can move the puck if Corvo continues to decline.

That group would be who to keep an eye on for now. Cole Schneider is another guy I like but he's gonna get buried on the AHL roster by guys who were drafted early like Prince and Puempel.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Pageau, Stone and a small chance for Petersson or Prince.

Puempel has a chance too. His game is more suited for the organized NHL style game IMO. If he gets a chance in the top six I think he would make the most of it.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007

Just Pageau. That gives the team 14 forwards, with Kassian and O'Brien sitting most games. Stone will get one more year to develop in the A as a well-rounded 1st liner. He should be the 1st call-up and get some games with Ottawa.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I expect to see Pageau take a permanent role on the team as a top PKer.

Stone and Prince will most certainly get a call up at some point. Its not unfeasible for them to be on the roster on opening night, its just difficult with all the contracts blocking them. Their debuts will likely coincide with some injuries up front.

Claesson could get a call up. Again, this just depends on injuries. Ceci might need a month or so of AHL hockey, then I can see him get considered for a call up in an emergency.

Wideman probably does get the call at some point. He's coming along nicely and we may need a decent right shot option who can move the puck if Corvo continues to decline.

That group would be who to keep an eye on for now. Cole Schneider is another guy I like but he's gonna get buried on the AHL roster by guys who were drafted early like Prince and Puempel.
Hoffman????

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Puempel has a chance too. His game is more suited for the organized NHL style game IMO. If he gets a chance in the top six I think he would make the most of it.

He has a chance but its probably better for him to get a consistent 70 game AHL season and too many forwards above him for the call up.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Stone is probably the guy I'm most excited about because he's probably the closest to being NHL ready other than Pags and because of the impact he can have if he pans out.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Hoffman????

I think Hoffman makes the team if he has a good camp. Only Pageau can prevent that.

As it stands, the last forward spot is for Kassian/O'brien. Personally, I want Hoffman to get it, or at least have the opportunity.

Ryan-Spezza-Michalek
MacArthur-Turris-Conacher
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Condra
Greening-Smith-Neil

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Stone is probably the guy I'm most excited about because he's probably the closest to being NHL ready other than Pags and because of the impact he can have if he pans out.

Stone strikes me as one of these guys that was drafted so low that people continually don't think much of him, but at every single turn he's gotten better. I haven't watched him that much, but his size and those hands around the net...I can't wait to see if he's got it in him to do well at the NHL level. He's torched the CHL, did well last year in the AHL...I love guys like this..just always getting better.

Last edited:

Berserker*

From the tournament,

The forwards that have a real shot to push for a spot out of camp are:
Jean Gabriel Pageau, Mark Stone, Curtis Lazar and Shane Prince

All four should be pushing very hard for spots and there is a good chance that a few of them make it. Some of the younger players on one way contracts better come prepared or they might end up getting shipped out.

The defensemen that have a shot to push for a spot out of camp are:
Cody Ceci, Fredrick Claesson and Michael Sdao

With Cowen unsigned, I think Sdao gets a much harder look then he might have otherwise. Sdao handles the puck well, is very competent defensively and provides a strong physical presence from the back end.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
With Cowen unsigned, I think Sdao gets a much harder look then he might have otherwise. Sdao handles the puck well, is very competent defensively and provides a strong physical presence from the back end.

I don't think it affects Sdao much. Its Borowiecki who it affects most. He's next up to the plate and Claesson before Sdao.

The left side depth chart is probably something like:

Methot
Cowen
Phillips
Wiercioch
Borowiecki
Claesson
Sdao

So really, it affects Wiecioch and Boro.

Eckford might be considered before Sdao.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad