Rookie Tournament

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Really excited to see how everyone (hopefully) progresses this year, especially Pageau, Prince, Stone and Dunn.

Berserker*

I don't think it affects Sdao much. Its Borowiecki who it affects most. He's next up to the plate and Claesson before Sdao.

The left side depth chart is probably something like:

Methot
Cowen
Phillips
Wiercioch
Borowiecki
Claesson
Sdao

So really, it affects Wiecioch and Boro.

Eckford might be considered before Sdao.

I disagree, I don't see Claesson or Eckford being ahead of Sdao. Eckford didn't have a very strong season last year in Binghamton and Claesson is still very young and he has yet to develop any stand out skill sets.

Sdao's overall skill set will be heavily underrated by this fan base because he isn't a flashy player. He is basically getting the Gryba treatment around here. Very few people on here thought Gryba had much of a shot at pushing for a spot and a few even questioned his re-signing to a two way contract. But ever since Gryba has been called up he has started to get praised and recognized for his contributions. Sdao is in a similar situation and he is a much better player than you or the majority of this fanbase gives hm credit for. I fully expect him to have a solid training camp and garner some praise form management and the coaching staff.

The biggest thing working against him is the fact that he is a left handed d man and we have an abundance of them at the moment. With that said, I still think he gets a real solid look at training camp.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I disagree, I don't see Claesson or Eckford being ahead of Sdao. Eckford didn't have a very strong season last year in Binghamton and Claesson is still very young and he has yet to develop any stand out skill sets.

Sdao's overall skill set will be heavily underrated by this fan base because he isn't a flashy player. He is basically getting the Gryba treatment around here. Very few people on here thought Gryba had much of a shot at pushing for a spot and a few even questioned his re-signing to a two way contract. But ever since Gryba has been called up he has started to get praised and recognized for his contributions. Sdao is in a similar situation and he is a much better player than you or the majority of this fanbase gives hm credit for. I fully expect him to have a solid training camp and garner some praise form management and the coaching staff.

The biggest thing working against him is the fact that he is a left handed d man and we have an abundance of them at the moment. With that said, I still think he gets a real solid look at training camp.

We had a similar discussion a while back. I have the same depth chart on the left side as FQL. I just don't see Sdao making this year, even if Cowen is not there.

Gryba is a slightly different scenario as he had a couple of AHL seasons under his belt. If Sdao had a solid couple of years in the AHL, he'd be much higher on the depth chart.

I agree with you on one thing, he might have a solid camp and turn some heads, but he'll be back in the AHL. I just don't see it for him this year.

Berserker*

We had a similar discussion a while back. I have the same depth chart on the left side as FQL. I just don't see Sdao making this year, even if Cowen is not there.

Gryba is a slightly different scenario as he had a couple of AHL seasons under his belt. If Sdao had a solid couple of years in the AHL, he'd be much higher on the depth chart.

I agree with you on one thing, he might have a solid camp and turn some heads, but he'll be back in the AHL. I just don't see it for him this year.

I think it might be a bit much for Sdao to take a spot in training camp, but I think he will compete hard for one and really put himself on the map. If he is able to have a strong training camp and be in serious consideration to push someone out of a spot (by being one of the last cuts) then it will be a very successful training camp for him.

It's not like being sent back to Binghamton will in any way be detrimental to him. Getting a chance to learn daily from Luke Richardson and Jason Smith will only make him a more impactful player when he eventually makes the jump.

I am looking to see how he performs against NHL players in some of the exhibition games.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
I think it might be a bit much for Sdao to take a spot in training camp, but I think he will compete hard for one and really put himself on the map. If he is able to have a strong training camp and be in serious consideration to push someone out of a spot (by being one of the last cuts) then it will be a very successful training camp for him.

It's not like being sent back to Binghamton will in any way be detrimental to him. Getting a chance to learn daily from Luke Richardson and Jason Smith will only make him a more impactful player when he eventually makes the jump.

I am looking to see how he performs against NHL players in some of the exhibition games.

Just based on the rookie tournament, I thought Wideman outplayed Sdao.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

If you will recall I was pumping Gryba who luckily for him is a right shot & has IMO at least another year as Ottawa's 6th d likely splitting time with Corvo. As far as Sdao goes I think he plays the year in Bingo unless there are a lot of injuries on D again this year In Ottawa which hopefully doesn't happen. Methot, Cowen & Wiercioch are all ahead of him on the left side & then there is Phillips & whether he is re-signed or not.

Sdao may be able to beat out Boroweicki with his size & toughness, if that is something Ottawa may need in the future. I only see Sdao making it to Ottawa if both Phillips & Methot are not re-signed due to money issues. The window could also be closing for him due to age & let's not forget that Harpur is also a left shot & right behind him. However, there is always the outside chance that the Sens could decide to convert Sdao to forward (like they did with Schubert) to play LW with Smith & Neil or some day replace Neil.

Ron Jeremy

What I noticed was that Mantha is 363 days older than Dunn, so a comparison of Mantha from a year earlier has some value.

What it shows is that Dunn (drafted 138th in 2013) outscored, by a decent margin Anthony Mantha who was drafted 20th overall in 2013 when compared at the same age, rather than the same year.

52 points in 53 games for Dunn, 51 in 63 for Mantha

Mantha is also 5 inches taller and 35lbs heavier. Thus contributing to the big difference in their draft position.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Just for interest sake, how many players did each team have that had payed

1. In the NHL

2. In the AHL

3. In the ECHL or equivalent.

4. College only

5. Junior only.

It seemed to me the Sens had a more experienced team than the others teams.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
they did, but that may have been a function of injuries leading to more callups, and the tendancy to spend late-round picks on ncaaers in recent years (which prevents them from coming to tournaments like this).

wasnt petersson only added once maidens was ruled out as well?

testinz

Oct 2, 2007
This sum up who gets the chance to play with the Senators :).

SUN: Is your opening on the right side on that second line?

MacLEAN: “We’re looking for a guy. The one thing we do have with Bobby Ryan, Milan Michalek and Clarke MacArthur, we have three guys who can play either side. So whether it’s (Cory) Conacher, (Mike) Hoffman, (Zibanejad), Mark Stone, Matt Puempel or Shane Prince and they can just play one side, we have the ability to move the other guys. The other guys are all veteran players who can make the adjustment easier. If a guy comes in and he’s a right winger, we can put the other guy on the left. There’s a spot as a top six forward. Who is that? Colin Greening, Zack Smith or Chris Neil? We have a lot of people that may be in that spot. The best 23 players are going to play and sort it out. We know there’s contracts involved because of business but the goal as a coaching staff is to try to have the best 23 players involved.”

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
Just for interest sake, how many players did each team have that had payed

1. In the NHL

2. In the AHL

3. In the ECHL or equivalent.

4. College only

5. Junior only.

It seemed to me the Sens had a more experienced team than the others teams.

I posted it already but since you asked...

Ottawa had ~30 NHL games, ~800 AHL games and 9 players with over 50 games of pro experience.

Toronto had 0 NHL games, ~250 AHL games and 1 player with over 50 games of pro experience.

Personally, I think the insinuation that if they lost, player development must not be a priority is pretty silly.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Mantha is also 5 inches taller and 35lbs heavier. Thus contributing to the big difference in their draft position.

Agree to an extent, but it's not like Dunn is 5'5. I think he is 6'1.

Mantha is such an overrated prospect, I am so glad we didn't take him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad