Post-Game Talk: Rookie Tournament 2015

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Disagree. When you look at our projected line up, id rather see Puempel getting top minutes and PP time in the AHL then playing 6 minutes a night on the 4th line with grinders. Chiasson and Niel are more suited for that.

I want to see Paul and Puempel do some work in the AHL to start then make a push later in the season
Him Greening,and iam on the fence about Chia ,these three need to show up ,or i would have no problem trying one of the kids here :nod:

BigBush*

Him Greening,and iam on the fence about Chia ,these three need to show up ,or i would have no problem trying one of the kids here :nod:

I'm hopeful that soon (maybe by the end of this season or next) we'll finally have a good 4th line. Something like Puempel-Paul-Michalek/Chiasson.

It's been a long time since this teams had a good 4th line and it'll help out a ton

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
hey it's hockey.

Watching the leafs - pens

Sprong is looking like a good pick for the pens. 46th overall.

Othello*

A fourth line with any combination of Smith and Neil won't work. Let's keep one scrub maximum on the fourth line.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
This is what has to stop ,if we want to have the best players play then mgt, should be open to making the best team out of camp .

That's an extremely short sighted view. We don't want to be handing out top prospects to rival teams and mismanage player development. If we were a top end contender I may change my tune but the long term health of this team is what's important.

BigBush*

That's an extremely short sighted view. We don't want to be handing out top prospects to rival teams and mismanage player development. If we were a top end contender I may change my tune but the long term health of this team is what's important.

exactly, nothing wrong with Puempel playing in the AHL this year and getting some time in Ottawa when there are injuries

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Puempel - I know people might think he should dominate from end to end in this tourney, but that was never going to be his game, he is pure scorer, everything else is just average. By my count, he had probably 5-6 legit scoring chances this game today, could easily had a couple. I remember he was the same way in the NHL last season, I do not worry about him, he will score somehow for the team, which is the hardest thing to do in the NHL. He's got a knack, you can't teach or train for that, either you have it or you do not.

Agree with this, plus I think the guy is actually pretty good at winning puck battles and grinding it out along the boards. Those things all add up to a useful NHL player.

J0sh

Jul 12, 2015
I can't wait to see more of Lindberg, his playmaking is exactly whats needed in Ottawa.

BigBush*

Is he a play maker though? I thought he was more of a shooter.

Big time. He makes so much room for himself in the corners and along the boards that he's able to set up his teammates around the net.

Lindberg is a guy ill be following closely this season after watching him in this tourney. Hes a very exciting prospect

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Both are good prospects that bring a different element to the game. Puempel is a pure goal scorer that also has some grit to his game, Prince on the other hand can create his own offence and make his line mates better.

That's what worries me about Puempel. He seems to need a quality playmaker with him to be most effective. He appears to have a difficult time on the playmaking side of things. If you're going to be in the NHL as a pure finisher, you need to be pretty close to a poor mans Stamkos/Kane to get into the top 6. since Puempel will never be at that elite level, he needs to polish up other aspects of his game to make it as a full-time NHLer....and that has been developing very, very slowly with him. Making it into the NHL as a pure sniper is one of the hardest positions to break into.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
If Puempel really does start in the A this year, I'd love to see a Puempel-Paul-Lindberg line. I think Lindberg and Puempel can be a nice combo. Lindberg is a nice passer and can handle the puck well, Puempel is a great little complimentary player and goal scorer.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
First time seeing Lindberg anywhere outside the rookie dev camp and wow! This kid is two years younger than Puempel and every bit as good (and I like Puempel)

He seems a bit like Greening...rookie Greening that is haha... in that he can be a complimentary top 6 winger who when filled out, can create space and even score a bit. Big, smart, good skater, good shot, and where I think he separates from someone like Greening is his hockey IQ. He makes some good decisions out there and isnt always full speed everything or shoot shoot shoot.

I can see a 50-55 point Clarke MacArthur type production if given the minutes.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Lindberg is exactly what this team needs on the RW behind Stone and Ryan. It allows Lazar to play centre in needed as well. He has something to watch, that's for sure.

He'll be in AHL this year as Chiasson and Michalek and Neil will gum up the works on the Right side, but he should get a true shot next year as they rotate out.

If Murray keeps all of Greening, Smith, Chiasson and Neil on the roster (and they do have the contracts) we will know that there is no plan this year to be the best we can be. It will be a developmental year in the AHL.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I was able to watch all 3 games this weekend.

For me, these players stood out from the rest:
Chabot - easily the best D-man on that rookie team, it feels like he can play all game due to his skating ability. He makes the game look easy at times - break out easy, tape-to-tape passing was easy, being the 4th forward was easy. Also, heads up the whole time in the offensive zone on the PP. Shot could be better, but not bad either. Best quality besides skating was hockey IQ, smart plays at both ends. He may be ready for NHL sooner than some might think.

Lindberg - size, skating, hands, compete level all very good, defensive play needs work. High hockey IQ was also evident. He should do well in the AHL this year, may even get a call-up at some point. Too soon to tell, but I think he can play top-6 in NHL some day.

Chlapik - again really high hockey IQ, might have been the smartest player in the forward group, needs work on his skating and explosiveness, but already play a solid too way game. Considering this is his first rookie tournament, like Chabot, very impressive. That long pass to the tape of McCormick, made the first goal happen today. I don't know when he will be ready for NHL, could be 2-3 years, but like everything he brings.

O'Connor - big and agile goalie, calm and confident in the net, really does not flap around at all, of course the shooters are not elite at this tournament, but looks like the real deal today. Rebound control needs work. Probably needs two years in the minor at least to round out his game. So far so good IMO.

Gabriel Gagne - showed raw quality, and why we traded up to pick him at 36th this year. Big and lanky, but looks like a great athlete, skating was really good, did not do much with the puck, but showed some good hustle, interesting to see how he develops.

Perron - good prospect, showed good hands and speed this tournament. Scored some points too, and competed hard.

Puempel - I know people might think he should dominate from end to end in this tourney, but that was never going to be his game, he is pure scorer, everything else is just average. By my count, he had probably 5-6 legit scoring chances this game today, could easily had a couple. I remember he was the same way in the NHL last season, I do not worry about him, he will score somehow for the team, which is the hardest thing to do in the NHL. He's got a knack, you can't teach or train for that, either you have it or you do not.

O'Connor looked great . Nice pick up by your GM . Well done

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
A few things on Puempel and Prince.

- They are the same age, just two months apart. Prince hit the AHL a year earlier because he was born in November instead of January, so Puempel didn't have that option. But it explains why Puempel was a bit more of an impact player than Prince as a rookie - he was a year older. But they had basically the same point production during Puempel's rookie year, so it's not like Puempel was miles ahead at all. They had the same # of points in the AHL that year, at the same age.

- the difference between how they are being brought along is that Puempel plays more physically (8 fights as a rookie) and also has been a bit better two way player than Prince (although this has more to do with playing a simpler up and down game and not handling the puck that often). As such, Puempel was a better fit for an extended stay with the team, because we needed a bottom 6 player who could play a simple game with our depth forwards, and not make defensive mistakes that cost the team (although I will say Puempel was given a long leash given some of the penalties he took).

- Richardson has been working with Prince on how he plays to reduce some of the risks associated with over-handling. It's part of his game, much like Hoffman, so it's not a surprise this is a concern of our coaches. But it doesn't impact his upside materially.

- In the end, they are very different players that should be used differently. If we're looking for a LW candidate for Turris and Stone, I'd pick Puempel, because he'll hit the holes, go to the net and has the quick trigger to compliment two very good playmakers. He's also a bit bigger and stronger. However, if I was looking for a LW candidate for Zib and Ryan, I'd take Prince. He'll create more space for the other two guys, can score or dish, and will generally bring a bit more of a dynamic to that line to help both Zib and Ryan score more goals.

- I personally think Prince is more talented offensively (pucks skills and skating are better), but I'm not sure he'll score more NHL goals. Puempel brings a great quick-trigger which actually is a bit more hard to find. I think it's fair to make a case from either side.

Last edited:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Lindberg is exactly what this team needs on the RW behind Stone and Ryan. It allows Lazar to play centre in needed as well. He has something to watch, that's for sure.

He'll be in AHL this year as Chiasson and Michalek and Neil will gum up the works on the Right side, but he should get a true shot next year as they rotate out.

If Murray keeps all of Greening, Smith, Chiasson and Neil on the roster (and they do have the contracts) we will know that there is no plan this year to be the best we can be. It will be a developmental year in the AHL.

Agreed. Particularly given the fact that most of our current centers are more of the shooting variety. His speed would also be a nice change of pace after the comparatively slow Ryan and Stone.

He needs more time in the AHL but the sens may be on to something with him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I wonder how far behind Chiasson Lindberg is now , or will be by mid year. I like what I see in his game so far more than what I have seen from Chiasson.

Paul should push for a 4th line Centre spot later this year as well IMO.

Sens will have some decisions to make sooner than later regarding Smith and Chiasson.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Rookie Tournament Observations:

The line of Puempel, Dzengel & Lindberg were outstanding in this tournament although against Pittsburgh while they were the best line they only managed one goal. Lindberg has NHL size, speed, vision & skill & he is a good passer & playmaker. Puempel has an NHL shot & while he seems to be working hard out there isn`t as noticeable as Lindberg until that is, he scores which he has a knack of doing.

Chabot & Harpur were both good, Chabot is a smooth skater with good vision & passing ability. He doesn't panic under pressure, while he makes mistakes as all young players do he shrugs them off quickly & moves on. He's not very physical but IMO has all the elements to be the 2nd pairing defenceman everyone wants but just not yet. Harpur is different, with his size he is hard on the opposition & makes guys pay who come around the net, he plays with an edge & is quick to defend teammates. Offensively he has a knack of getting pucks to the net but like a lot of big guys stick handling is not a forte & he has to learn to get rid of the puck quicker or he gets himself in trouble.

Perron had two goals against Montreal but other than that I didn't really notice him. Dzingel & McCormick are both relentless, never stop skating & work hard on every shift, I just love the way those two play. Ewanyk & Zay played better than I thought they were & they should help Bingo defensively with some depth. I could see Dreidger starting in the ECHL again, he wasn`t very good against Pitt, Greenham played well in Bingo last yr & could challenge him for that backup spot. No one else really stood out but they all played alright.

In my humble opinion (IMHO) Lindberg, Puempel, Dzingel, McCormick, Chabot, Harpur, Perron & O`Connor were the best players on the team at this yr`s tournament.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The line of Puempel, Dzengel & Lindberg were outstanding in this tournament although against Pittsburgh while they were the best line they only managed one goal. Lindberg has NHL size, speed, vision & skill & he is a good passer & playmaker. Puempel has an NHL shot & while he seems to be working hard out there isn`t as noticeable as Lindberg until that is, he scores which he has a knack of doing.

Chabot & Harpur were both good, Chabot is a smooth skater with good vision & passing ability. He doesn't panic under pressure, while he makes mistakes as all young players do he shrugs them off quickly & moves on. He's not very physical but IMO has all the elements to be the 2nd pairing defenceman everyone wants but just not yet. Harpur is different, with his size he is hard on the opposition & makes guys pay who come around the net, he plays with an edge & is quick to defend teammates. Offensively he has a knack of getting pucks to the net but like a lot of big guys stick handling is not a forte & he has to learn to get rid of the puck quicker or he gets himself in trouble.

Perron had two goals against Montreal but other than that I didn't really notice him. Dzingel & McCormick are both relentless, never stop skating & work hard on every shift, I just love the way those two play. Ewanyk & Zay played better than I thought they were & they should help Bingo defensively with some depth. I could see Dreidger starting in the ECHL again, he wasn`t very good against Pitt, Greenham played well in Bingo last yr & could challenge him for that backup spot. No one else really stood out but they all played alright.

In my humble opinion (IMHO) Lindberg, Puempel, Dzingel, McCormick, Chabot, Harpur, Perron & O`Connor were the best players on the team at this yr`s tournament.

Looks at username...

Looks at Dzingel and McCormick's height and weight...

Huh, who knew. Aragorn likes a couple of the small prospects.

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Looks at username...

Looks at Dzingel and McCormick's hight and weight...

Huh, who knew. Aragorn likes a couple of the small prospects.

Dzingel is 6'' 190 pds and Mcormick 5'11' 185 pds.. These guys are not big but they're definitely not small. Pageau at 5'9'' 175 is small or Perron at 6'' 165 pds.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

I agree, except for Harpur and partly O'Connor. I found Harpur disappointing. I was expecting more. Maybe I had too high expectations. O'Connor was good in the third game, but wasn't very good in the first. Maybe it was due to coming in cold. Not sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad