Post-Game Talk: Rookie Tournament 2015

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
lol. Prince out produced Puempel in every level and the only reason Puempel got a longer look in the bottom six was because the team was starting to get hot.
In goals???you seem to forget Puemple is not a playmaker but a goalscoring forward.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
In goals???you seem to forget Puemple is not a playmaker but a goalscoring forward.

Prince has always been a distributor of the puck. Just stop.

Prince's success doesn't diminish anything Puempel has done. Why do Sens fans always have to pit players against each other? We don't have to choose between them.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
So, just so I'm understanding you correctly, you put more weight into these 3 rookie tournament games than full organized professional hockey seasons?

"Decent in the AHL" = Second team all AHL and PPG. Right.
30 goals as a first year pro ,his game has developed much faster at the pro game than Prince has.He was headed to the second line on the big team, while Prince was being sent back down to the ahl :nod:

BigBush*

30 goals as a first year pro ,his game has developed much faster at the pro game than Prince has.He was headed to the second line on the big team, while Prince was being sent back down to the ahl :nod:

Cant believe you're being serious right now

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Prince has always been a distributor of the puck. Just stop.

Prince's success doesn't diminish anything Puempel has done. Why do Sens fans always have to pit players against each other? We don't have to choose between them.
Iam just sick of the Prince lovefest ,Puemple has shown faster progression .Yet is destined according to start in the ahl :shakehead

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
I was able to watch all 3 games this weekend.

For me, these players stood out from the rest:
Chabot - easily the best D-man on that rookie team, it feels like he can play all game due to his skating ability. He makes the game look easy at times - break out easy, tape-to-tape passing was easy, being the 4th forward was easy. Also, heads up the whole time in the offensive zone on the PP. Shot could be better, but not bad either. Best quality besides skating was hockey IQ, smart plays at both ends. He may be ready for NHL sooner than some might think.

Lindberg - size, skating, hands, compete level all very good, defensive play needs work. High hockey IQ was also evident. He should do well in the AHL this year, may even get a call-up at some point. Too soon to tell, but I think he can play top-6 in NHL some day.

Chlapik - again really high hockey IQ, might have been the smartest player in the forward group, needs work on his skating and explosiveness, but already play a solid too way game. Considering this is his first rookie tournament, like Chabot, very impressive. That long pass to the tape of McCormick, made the first goal happen today. I don't know when he will be ready for NHL, could be 2-3 years, but like everything he brings.

O'Connor - big and agile goalie, calm and confident in the net, really does not flap around at all, of course the shooters are not elite at this tournament, but looks like the real deal today. Rebound control needs work. Probably needs two years in the minor at least to round out his game. So far so good IMO.

Gabriel Gagne - showed raw quality, and why we traded up to pick him at 36th this year. Big and lanky, but looks like a great athlete, skating was really good, did not do much with the puck, but showed some good hustle, interesting to see how he develops.

Perron - good prospect, showed good hands and speed this tournament. Scored some points too, and competed hard.

Puempel - I know people might think he should dominate from end to end in this tourney, but that was never going to be his game, he is pure scorer, everything else is just average. By my count, he had probably 5-6 legit scoring chances this game today, could easily had a couple. I remember he was the same way in the NHL last season, I do not worry about him, he will score somehow for the team, which is the hardest thing to do in the NHL. He's got a knack, you can't teach or train for that, either you have it or you do not.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I was able to watch all 3 games this weekend.

For me, these players stood out from the rest:
Chabot - easily the best D-man on that rookie team, it feels like he can play all game due to his skating ability. He makes the game look easy at times - break out easy, tape-to-tape passing was easy, being the 4th forward was easy. Also, heads up the whole time in the offensive zone on the PP. Shot could be better, but not bad either. Best quality besides skating was hockey IQ, smart plays at both ends. He may be ready for NHL sooner than some might think.

Lindberg - size, skating, hands, compete level all very good, defensive play needs work. High hockey IQ was also evident. He should do well in the AHL this year, may even get a call-up at some point. Too soon to tell, but I think he can play top-6 in NHL some day.

Chlapik - again really high hockey IQ, might have been the smartest player in the forward group, needs work on his skating and explosiveness, but already play a solid too way game. Considering this is his first rookie tournament, like Chabot, very impressive. That long pass to the tape of McCormick, made the first goal happen today. I don't know when he will be ready for NHL, could be 2-3 years, but like everything he brings.

O'Connor - big and agile goalie, calm and confident in the net, really does not flap around at all, of course the shooters are not elite at this tournament, but looks like the real deal today. Rebound control needs work. Probably needs two years in the minor at least to round out his game. So far so good IMO.

Gabriel Gagne - showed raw quality, and why we traded up to pick him at 36th this year. Big and lanky, but looks like a great athlete, skating was really good, did not do much with the puck, but showed some good hustle, interesting to see how he develops.

Perron - good prospect, showed good hands and speed this tournament. Scored some points too, and competed hard.

Puempel - I know people might think he should dominate from end to end in this tourney, but that was never going to be his game, he is pure scorer, everything else is just average. By my count, he had probably 5-6 legit scoring chances this game today, could easily had a couple. I remember he was the same way in the NHL last season, I do not worry about him, he will score somehow for the team, which is the hardest thing to do in the NHL. He's got a knack, you can't teach or train for that, either you have it or you do not.
Bingo ,kid has scored at every level .And he is really close ,he is one of those guys that will go on a tear and score in bunches then go quiet for a bit

Itachi

Sep 7, 2015
How has his game developed much faster? Again, the only reason Puempel* stayed was because the team started to get hot.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
How has his game developed much faster? Again, the only reason Puempel* stayed was because the team started to get hot.

:nod: :nod: :nod:
You seem to forget they were moving him into Hoffman,s slot ,just before he got injured.He was playing very well on the 4th line with legwand :nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

This is a terrible argument that lacks context and actual facts.

How can Puempel's game be developing faster when his production dropped last season? Meanwhile, Prince became Bingo's best forward by a large margin and his production has improved by big intervals every year in Bingo.

Prince was called up before Puempel, because he was rated higher by the Ottawa staff. Puempel stuck with the team because of Cameron's decision to stick with a winning line up when the Hamberglar madness was in full swing. You also seem to be glossing over the fact that Puempel's 30 goal season was largely due to playing on a line with Mark Stone and Stephane Da Costa. Prince doesn't need linemates like that to produce, he's the one who drives the offense for his line.

Puempel has great potential as a finisher but he doesn't have a lot of the skills that Prince has. I am impressed with Puempel's improvements in his skating and defensive game, but you don't seem to know much about Shane Prince and what he's capable of.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This is a terrible argument that lacks context and actual facts.

How can Puempel's game be developing faster when his production dropped last season? Meanwhile, Prince became Bingo's best forward by a large margin and his production has improved by big intervals every year in Bingo.

Prince was called up before Puempel, because he was rated higher by the Ottawa staff. Puempel stuck with the team because of Cameron's decision to stick with a winning line up when the Hamberglar madness was in full swing. You also seem to be glossing over the fact that Puempel's 30 goal season was largely due to playing on a line with Mark Stone and Stephane Da Costa. Prince doesn't need linemates like that to produce, he's the one who drives the offense for his line.

Puempel has great potential as a finisher but he doesn't have a lot of the skills that Prince has. I am impressed with Puempel's improvements in his skating and defensive game, but you don't seem to know much about Shane Prince and what he's capable of.
I never said i didnt like him ever ,but too many here are really underating Puemple over him .This nonsense about Puemple needing more time, while Prince is nhl ready needs to stop .Both Prospects bring something different to the table ,people are basing their opinions on styles of players they like better

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I never said i didnt like him ever ,but too many here are really underating Puemple over him .This nonsense about Puemple needing more time, while Prince is nhl ready needs to stop .Both Prospects bring something different to the table ,people are basing their opinions on styles of players they like better

I don't know where you're getting this sentiment from. Didn't Puempel win the top prospect in our polls? I don't think the majority agrees with the Prince > Puempel sentiment. What people are acknowledging is that Prince's contract situation and waiver eligibility will get him the first look in Ottawa this year, which is fine. Puempel won't be in the AHL long imo and if we had some more open spaces he'd already be penciled into game 1 but since we're fairly deep and are carrying some dead weight, he'll have to work his way back and wait.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
What has Puemple and Prince done to be regarded as the better prospects and more NHL ready fowards???? ;):sarcasm:
About as much ,or a slight bit more than Prince has .Only because of his extended stay in the nhl .But some people around he talk as if Prince is light years ahead of him

Itachi

Sep 7, 2015
Both are good prospects that bring a different element to the game. Puempel is a pure goal scorer that also has some grit to his game, Prince on the other hand can create his own offence and make his line mates better.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I don't know where you're getting this sentiment from. Didn't Puempel win the top prospect in our polls? I don't think the majority agrees with the Prince > Puempel sentiment. What people are acknowledging is that Prince's contract situation and waiver eligibility will get him the first look in Ottawa this year, which is fine. Puempel won't be in the AHL long imo and if we had some more open spaces he'd already be penciled into game 1 but since we're fairly deep and are carrying some dead weight, he'll have to work his way back and wait.
I think its a dead heat between them ,maybe Puemple with the slight edge do to a bit more nhl experience .I want to see Prince ,dont get me wrong .But i really hope mgt plays the best player rather than what their contract status is

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Both are good prospects that bring a different element to the game. Puempel is a pure goal scorer that also has some grit to his game, Prince on the other hand can create his own offence and make his line mates better.
Exactly ,both are great .Contract,s shouldnt matter if they belong in the nhl ,keep them both up and let them battle all season long

Itachi

Sep 7, 2015
Exactly ,both are great .Contract,s shouldnt matter ,keep them both up and let them battle all season long
23 man roster limit. We saw it when Pageau was sent down in favour of players with one-way contracts even though he out preformed them.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
23 man roster limit. We saw it when Pageau was sent down in favour of players with one-way contracts even though he out preformed them.
This is what has to stop ,if we want to have the best players play then mgt, should be open to making the best team out of camp .

BigBush*

This is what has to stop ,if we want to have the best players play then mgt, should be open to making the best team out of camp .

Disagree. When you look at our projected line up, id rather see Puempel getting top minutes and PP time in the AHL then playing 6 minutes a night on the 4th line with grinders. Chiasson and Niel are more suited for that.

I want to see Paul and Puempel do some work in the AHL to start then make a push later in the season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad