Confirmed with Link: Roman Polak signed to a PTO

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Keep in mind that the Leafs are responsible for his rehabilitation, and he was working with staff as little as two weeks ago that we know of, so it makes sense to have him in camp. Help meet veteran requirements with something like 8 games in 13 days I believe?

Lamoriello said a couple days ago that they see Rosen/Dermott/Borgman/Nielsen all pushing for spots this year. Considering there may only be 1 spot available, doesn't make sense to push them all down for Polak.

yeah there's a chance that he's not even anywhere near healthy yet.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
2 or 3 for 1. Even if it's not significant but just too many bodies.

Leivo, Lupul, Soshnikov, Marincin for Demers? :P

Rielly-Demers
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey
Ext: Carrick and Polak

I really don't want to see Sosh go anywhere... The rest of your offer is fine... :)
I actually think that Polak might be working more with the Marlies.. in the future.. and possibly, as a defense coach..

I think we have got a lot of players to assess before adding more.., so the possible trade might be for a whack of picks.., to get closer to Dahlin..?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
This could be for a spot, or more likely it could just be because he's injured himself playing with us, and thus we're with him seeing himself back to full health and then maybe he gets a shot elsewhere. I didn't even think he would be healthy for the preseason TBH.

If he does sign here, then I hope it's mostly as an extra. I wouldn't have him in the lineup everyday especially not after that injury he suffered.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Keep in mind that the Leafs are responsible for his rehabilitation, and he was working with staff as little as two weeks ago that we know of, so it makes sense to have him in camp. Help meet veteran requirements with something like 8 games in 13 days I believe?

Lamoriello said a couple days ago that they see Rosen/Dermott/Borgman/Nielsen all pushing for spots this year. Considering there may only be 1 spot available, doesn't make sense to push them all down for Polak.

Can't take Nielsen seriously IMO. Also, how is there only 1 spot available? Rielly, Gardiner, Hainsey, Zaitsev and probably Carrick makes five so unless I'm missing someone, there are two spots up for grabs.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Can't take Nielsen seriously IMO. Also, how is there only 1 spot available? Rielly, Gardiner, Hainsey, Zaitsev and probably Carrick makes five so unless I'm missing someone, there are two spots up for grabs.

Marincin is probably #7.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
It could be for insurance in case guys aren't ready to take a bottom pairing spot in the lineup. If they were confident about bringing Polak back they'd have given him a real contract.

Could be for using him. But could be they want to give him somewhere to work out and show he's healthy enough to play. Not the first time they've done that either.

We'll see what happens..

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Completes the PK unit on D if he makes it. Could put Marincin, and maybe Carrick, on the hotseat, depending on a few more "ifs". Namely, if we carry 7/8 D, if one of the rookies makes the starting six and if Hainsey remains top 4 and right side.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Marincin will be there, even if we all don't want him too

Palmateer

Routine kick save
Jan 27, 2012
Maybe they see him as a better #7 guy than Marincin -- a bigger body to take on road trips when they want to give a younger player a rest, or play a heavier game against certain opponents.

Marincin has a certain skill set, but doesn't play with Babcockian confidence. Can't imagine that sits well with coach.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
He was an AHL level player on two legs. I'm assuming he'll be an ECHL level player on one?

I'm assuming you were busy during the games in the playoffs last year where he stepping into a top 4 role and excelled? Once he went down the series turned.

He was also one of the best PKer's on the team all year, one of the only ones with Physical tools and one of the best shot blockers on the team. He has a role on the bottom pairing or press box. The AHL comment is un needed.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
All of the young guys have plenty of ELC time left and they can still use some developing. Polak brings attributes that the current Leafs blueline lack and will probably get a contract. Just have to make sure he can still skate and see if any of the young guys are better than expected.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Good news. We need depth on the blueline. If he has fully recovered, he can still help this team.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I hope he does well and then another team signs him and gives him a chance.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He was an AHL level player on two legs. I'm assuming he'll be an ECHL level player on one?

Wouldn't say that he was ahl level player. I think he was a decent number 6dmen. The leafs relied on him too much for most of the year. Now he is probably a ahl level player. But I don't care about polak the player personally. It's just that a guy like Dermott or rosen will be demoted cuz of him if Babcock thinks he's healthy. Dermott/Rosen should be getting nhl time. They have experience playing against men and need to know play bottom pairing nhl minutes over a guy like polak who is gonna be force fed minutes against competition he isnt good enoguh to match up against anymore.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Waiver eligibility.

There is that. On the other hand, how much value is there in keeping him if he's not good enough to make our team on merit? Do you really think they would be willing to ice a weaker team for the sake of keeping his rights? I'm skeptical myself, I think he either earns a spot or he's gone.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Martin-Moore-Martin

Ex- Leivo, Fehr, Kapanen, Soshnikov

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Carrick

Ex- Marincin, Borgman, Rosen,

Kappy and Sosh are easy send downs due to no waivers. As is Borgman.

Marincin, Rosen, Fehr, Leivo.

I think most would waive Fehr.

Do you send down Rosen to the crowded Marlies just so Polak can be in the press box? Doesn't make sense

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
As far as this season goes, I'd rather have Polak in the lineup over Carrick to be honest... We need that big, physical net/clearing guy...

I'd like to see:

Gardiner-Zaitsev
Rielly-Hainsey
Rosen-Polak
Marincin/Carrick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad