Confirmed with Link: Roman Polak signed to a PTO

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Hopefully this leads to a contract. It pushes Marincin to a 7th D and all the young hopefuls can battle it out for supremacy with the Marlies. If we need a call up for the playoffs it will be from the young Marlie core and not Marincin hopefully.
Completely fine with Carrick-Polak as the 3rd pairing for now.

Black hat blue eyes

Jul 21, 2015
As others have said, waive Marincin, carry 8 defenseman.

Rielly
Gardiner
Zaitsev
Hainsey
Carrick
Polak
Rosen
Dermott.

In this scenario,
Rosen and Demott will be with the marlies. They would never use them as the 7 and 8th d. They will with play on the third pairing or in the ahl.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
In this scenario,
Rosen and Demott will be with the marlies. They would never use them as the 7 and 8th d. They will with play on the third pairing or in the ahl.

I can see a scenario where they rotate polak, Carrick, Rosen, and Dermott throughout the season + injuries come along, they all get 60+ games.

This is dependent on Dermott and Rosen actually being successful in the NHL this season.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
As long as his leg is better, I would rather have him as a 7th than Dermott sitting in the press box. It's a long season, and he'd be a good experienced injury fill in. No problems with that if he's healthy.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Welcome back Roman.
We don't currently have anyone who can step in and provide the heavy grease Polak can.
I'm going to assume the Leafs know exactly where he is in his rehab. Reports indicate he was progressing fine. Happy to have him patrol the 3rd pair and PK.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Very nice to hear that he is back to twerk like a mofo in the 416 mafia.
Real competition for spots this year.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Welcome back Roman.
We don't currently have anyone who can step in and provide the heavy grease Polak can.
I'm going to assume the Leafs know exactly where he is in his rehab. Reports indicate he was progressing fine. Happy to have him patrol the 3rd pair and PK.

Yup. While we have lots of bodies potentially on D, there are a few unknowns, and guys like Marincin and Carrick who.....well, you know

Polak from all accounts is one strong/tough dude, and is a good influence on the young'ins. Why not give him a PTO?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
You would think the most he will make is about 925,000 on a one year deal from any team
The Leafs do have $$$$ to offer him a 925,000 deal even if plays in the AHL, which wouldn't affect the cap.
So I say he's Leaf/Marlie this year....if healthy.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
You would think the most he will make is about 925,000 on a one year deal from any team
The Leafs do have $$$$ to offer him a 925,000 deal even if plays in the AHL, which wouldn't affect the cap.
So I say he's Leaf/Marlie this year....if healthy.
A marlie(?) :biglaugh: Oh hell naw

If a Polak is kept back, he will play everytime he is healthy and even 90% ready to go. Making us better, our PK, hitting department, blocking that thang, twerking that rear end off and protecting andersen's rear end and crease. Polak is a must, if we want to keep our other suckers healthy and non scrathcable tapes.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I'll be pretty surprised if Polak doesn't make the team out of camp. He's was way better than that piece of crap Connor Carrick was for the Leafs last year.

Whoever wins the Marincin/Rosen/Borgman/Dermott battle will form the third pair with Polak imo. Carrick will be a spare or Marlie imo.

WWB

Jun 30, 2010
Ontario
Hope he hasn't lost a step...Leafs could really use his grit and toughness on the back end even if he's just the number 7 guy. 1y $1-$1.5 million and waive Marincin...if he can still keep up.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Bye Bye Marincin

From your words to Babs' ears

This is what I see as well. Polak won't be ready for action until his leg fully heals, and Babs won't have him in the lineup until he's ready to skate like last year because our team is fast and say what you want about Polak but the guy could really skate fast once he hit top speed.

Dude is also built like a truck, something we kinda lack on the D core. His puck skills are adequate and he's a hell of a lot smarter away from the puck than Marincin.
Also, Marincin constantly loses his man as we all saw in horror against Johansson. Would be great to never see him play another game in a Leaf jersey.

Edmonton, while icing the worst team in the league a few years back, let this bumb Marincin go, and that's supposed to make us better? How does that logic work?

Anyways, I like Polak and you can tell his teammates love him and so does his coach, so why not give the guy a chance to show he can come back from that nasty injury and keep the pressure on Carrick for that spot in the top 6.

Carrick doesn't seem to get the love of Bab's when push comes to shove. Still really just a kid though so I hope he shows some improvement this year

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
If Dermott gets the 3rd line LHD slot, I want a grizzled, steady veteran like RHD Polak on the other side, playing steady and letting the rookie do his thing.

Would be a very physical pairing.

Definitely cheering for polar. He's one of the good guys

Enthusiast17

Sep 13, 2017
No idea why you guys are pencilling in Carrick.

We saw him for almost the whole year last year. If he wants to play the tough guy game he does he’s going to lose his spot to Polak. He needs to skate more (hopefully worked on his acceleration and burst this offseason), as well as control and calm the play in his own zone.

I don’t see him anywhere near the long term plans unless he really breaks out just based on the game he played last year.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
To all those that indicate that Polak sucks/is useless (Moreso in the Preseason thread I guess)... Just try to remember that feeling you had when he got hurt in game 2 of the washington series last year... I don't know about you, but I kind of felt our small chances we had went our the window after that. Polak was playing very solid hockey the last part of the season and into the playoffs, and was our 4th best defender last season IMHO.

IF polak has a full recovery, his skating isn't all that bad... he has a slow first couple of steps, but when he gets going, he's fast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->