Confirmed with Link: Roman Polak signed to a PTO

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
To all those that indicate that Polak sucks/is useless (Moreso in the Preseason thread I guess)... Just try to remember that feeling you had when he got hurt in game 2 of the washington series last year... I don't know about you, but I kind of felt our small chances we had went our the window after that. Polak was playing very solid hockey the last part of the season and into the playoffs, and was our 4th best defender last season IMHO.

IF polak has a full recovery, his skating isn't all that bad... he has a slow first couple of steps, but when he gets going, he's fast.

I'm with you. When he went down it was not good for our chances. That is also due to lack of depth but yes also the fact he was playing very well for us.
There are posters who didn't and won't agree with that though.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I am OK with Polak making the team but I would pick up a better dman at the TDL for our playoff run. He and Carrick can rotate in during the season as needed.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I am OK with Polak making the team but I would pick up a better dman at the TDL for our playoff run. He and Carrick can rotate in during the season as needed.

Depends on the price. TDL prices are usually terrible.
That being said, if Polak does get a contract it looks like we will keep the format of carrying 8 D. Which means 13 forwards so a few guys will be Marlies bound. (Those that can clear waivers).

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Depends on the price. TDL prices are usually terrible.
That being said, if Polak does get a contract it looks like we will keep the format of carrying 8 D. Which means 13 forwards so a few guys will be Marlies bound. (Those that can clear waivers).

No doubt. They paid a good price to get Boyle last year.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I could see Frederik Andersen complaining about this like Martin Brodeur complaint about having Ken Daneyko on the Devils.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
we need to find his replacement in the near future.mid round draft pick or a free agent in his 20's.
our blueline isn't that big & is fairly soft.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
I'm assuming you were busy during the games in the playoffs last year where he stepping into a top 4 role and excelled? Once he went down the series turned.

He was also one of the best PKer's on the team all year, one of the only ones with Physical tools and one of the best shot blockers on the team. He has a role on the bottom pairing or press box. The AHL comment is un needed.

Ya the negative comments are unwarranted. I know advanced stats and blah blah but the guy is a true warrior and soldier for the team on and off the ice. I don't get why the fan base likes to crap all over this guy. He was signed to bring a physical element and veteran presence to the roster and has pretty much excelled in that role. He's also an elite PKer and shot blocker, can't really ask more for a bottom pairing defenceman that's paid like a bottom pairing defenceman. He also brought his game to another level down the regular season stretch and into the playoffs. If he is fully rocovered from his injury (doubtful) then he definitely deserves a spot on the team. Again what more do you want from a number 5/6/7 Dman?

FriendlyGiant

Jul 28, 2006
we need to find his replacement in the near future.mid round draft pick or a free agent in his 20's.
our blueline isn't that big & is fairly soft.

I agree. Many will say that the NHL has changed and defencemen need to be more mobile than ever. This is true, but there is still a need for a strong warrior who makes forwards hesitant about entering the zone, who are great PKers and very solid defensively - as long as they can keep up with the play. Roman does all those things and is also a great role model and teammate.

I hope he can come back to deliver like he did last year. I also hope the Leafs can find someone else to replace him who brings those same qualities to the team.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Carrick-Polak
Borgman?

Carrick and Polak are both RD so I dont know if they are ideal on the 3rd pairing together. Borgman could sub in for carrick.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Looks like from babcocks comments today they don't plan to sign him, just doing him a favour.

I wouldn't sign him. He is the puck alot and that means no timeouts now.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yeah seems like a super long shot to make the Leafs but also he wants to showcase to other teams that he's recovered from his injury and can still play.

Nice of the Leafs to do that for him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Courtesy invite, but if there is one defense he could crack it might be the Leafs.

Carrick is the one that needs to worry most, because if the Leafs feel they need a big physical presence in their top 6 it will his spot the Leafs hand to Roman as a RHD and 3rd pairing guy.

Zaitsev and Hainsey hold down the other 2 RHD spots.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
He must really like playing for the Leafs. He could have caught on with another team.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Now y'all feel like Polak is coming back again and again and again with us and our rear ends again? We needs that sucka back there on that ass. Doing thangs and moving thangs. Making us better.

Azazel

Jan 2, 2016
Now y'all feel like Polak is coming back again and again and again with us and our rear ends again? We needs that sucka back there on that ass. Doing thangs and moving thangs. Making us better.

If Polak doesn't make it back, who do you think is a good replacement? Any decent comparables we could go for or possibly in house?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad