Rocket Moving again

chlfan98

Apr 21, 2013
i say that the rocket should stay in P.E.I. and the QMJHL should expend from 18 to 20 teams so a team in Sorel and Trois-Riviere

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
i say that the rocket should stay in P.E.I. and the QMJHL should expend from 18 to 20 teams so a team in Sorel and Trois-Riviere

Easy to say when you're not the one losing $300k a season...

Who's going to step in and buy the team in the next five days? Savard doesn't want to keep bleeding money, and PEI has proven that they're not capable of/interested in supporting a QMJHL team.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Savard doesn't want to keep bleeding money, and PEI has proven that they're not capable of/interested in supporting a QMJHL team.

Part of that is the owner though... Savard has never gone into a true rebuild, and they've always bordered on mediocrity because of the owner and is views... Similar to Bathurst where a change in owner/GM will bring in more fans and produce a better run organization....

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Part of that is the owner though... Savard has never gone into a true rebuild, and they've always bordered on mediocrity because of the owner and is views... Similar to Bathurst where a change in owner/GM will bring in more fans and produce a better run organization....

If your market can't/won't support a team unless it's winning, you're not a good market.

I can see Savard's point in not wanting to go into a true rebuild. If the Rocket were terrible for a couple of years, he's probably looking at losing $500k, rather than $300k as fewer and fewer Islanders bother to show up for games.

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
If your market can't/won't support a team unless it's winning, you're not a good market.

I can see Savard's point in not wanting to go into a true rebuild. If the Rocket were terrible for a couple of years, he's probably looking at losing $500k, rather than $300k as fewer and fewer Islanders bother to show up for games.

They have been poorly managed. It's management role to give a good product to the paying customer, this has not been done since the franchise has moved to PEI. They have always either gone with the band aid fix at the deadline, or they have moved their star players during years where they should have competed (2010-11). Either way, what is the result is over 10 seasons of hockey with "1" playoff series win.

I know several scouts that are working with the team currently or have worked in the past, and frustration is at every level of the franchise. The sense inside the franchise is that the team is in constant rebuild, for many years - since Vigneault really..everybody walks around on egg shells. This year was by far the most successful in terms of the hockey team on the ice in a long time. This was achieved due to a great coach who demanded lots from the players, held them accountable and a very hands off approach from Savard in regards to the on-ice product. (which im sure was a challenge)

Most regions have a "winning team" attendance issue. Halifax had 5500 average fans 2 years ago...they are @ 8800 now. BC had less than 1500 per game for the past 4-5yrs, however, the past two season they have seen their attendance jump to over 2500. Thats a common theme in most regions. What is not common is having a non competitive team year after year after year, in a league where the long rebuilds take 4 years and the short rebuilds take 3 years. That IMO my friends is management's responsibility.

OMG

Mar 19, 2013
speaking from experience with the rocket...its not a place most kids wanna be...they dont feel any support from the community or management...as one agent put its a black hole that you go to to die career wise...only those who manage to get out further their hockey career...just look at all the potential that has been there in the last 8 or 9 yrs and how many have done anything

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
They have been poorly managed. It's management role to give a good product to the paying customer, this has not been done since the franchise has moved to PEI.

Most regions have a "winning team" attendance issue.

Be that as it may, the paying customer failed to support the team, and it is now, in all likelihood, leaving.

You can blame that on management all you want, but the fact of the matter is that not enough people are helping to keep the team afloat, and the business is about to go under.

rocketfan

Dec 25, 2008
I am 1 of the biggest supporters of the Rocket I would have supported this team for many more years. This team is gone no local will buy in because tats the Island way. PEI loses everything that we have had.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Be that as it may, the paying customer failed to support the team, and it is now, in all likelihood, leaving.

You can blame that on management all you want, but the fact of the matter is that not enough people are helping to keep the team afloat, and the business is about to go under.

That statement is a bit unfair. There are a lot of die-hard Rocket fans who do not want to see the team move.

It's not the hardcore hockey fans you need to sell to, they'll buy regardless, its the casual fan, the average joe. The average joe won't spend money to see a loosing team game after game.

Most of the population doesn't understand how cycles work in the Q, most people I talk to about Q hockey are confused how a team like Saint John can go from the penthouse to the doghouse, they just don't get it. But their money is still just as valuable. They understand 1 thing: If a teams good its good, and if it was good last year it's probably gonna be good next year (even if they're wrong about that), that's how you build a fan base.

byrone12

Aug 2, 2005
Quick, name just one current NHL player drafted from the PEI Rocket in their 10 years....

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
That statement is a bit unfair. There are a lot of die-hard Rocket fans who do not want to see the team move.

It's not the hardcore hockey fans you need to sell to, they'll buy regardless, its the casual fan, the average joe. The average joe won't spend money to see a loosing team game after game.

Most of the population doesn't understand how cycles work in the Q, most people I talk to about Q hockey are confused how a team like Saint John can go from the penthouse to the doghouse, they just don't get it. But their money is still just as valuable. They understand 1 thing: If a teams good its good, and if it was good last year it's probably gonna be good next year (even if they're wrong about that), that's how you build a fan base.

thank you! my point exactly. People in PEI are looking at halifax, moncton, and saint john, in the past 10yrs, they have all made at least 2 runs at championships, and added NHL caliber players to their roster, wether through drafting or through trades. Look at PEI....tell me that's not managements responsibility

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
It's still sad and dumb, if you want more euros and Americans you get them by moving teams to Sorel..

There's nothing to do there.

? are you serious? you get more americans and euros by moving to Sorel? I bet lots of kids in NH and Conn, are following this with great interest...can't wait to move to Sorel :)
seriously.....

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
If the Rocket were to relocate to Summerside with new management and add a couple of tough guys and a couple of PEI boys...they would be a good drawing club . Summerside is a much better arena and they draw a lot of people from Western PEI . If they had Ashley and Millman on the team...which the Rocket missed the boat on...they alone would add 500 extra every game . I think they could both be added next season as overage players ?

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
If the Rocket were to relocate to Summerside with new management and add a couple of tough guys and a couple of PEI boys...they would be a good drawing club . Summerside is a much better arena and they draw a lot of people from Western PEI . If they had Ashley and Millman on the team...which the Rocket missed the boat on...they alone would add 500 extra every game . I think they could both be added next season as overage players ?

If you move to Summerside the Capitals have to fold

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad