Rocket Moving again

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
Tonight on the Guardian website Savard says he doesn't know where these rumours come from and has been "battling rumors the team was moving for six years". I have a hard time believing that every single time he has no idea where and how these rumours come from and that he has had no part at all whatsoever in these rumours.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Rumors like this every year ... I'll wait before I believe this one.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Was under the impression that the relocation deadline in the Q was Jan. 31.

It's a fluid deadline....Lewiston was bought by the league knowing that Sherbrooke would buy an expansion franchise.
My question is where would they move?
Trois-Rivieres is with-in another team's exclusion zone so unless they got $ to waive?
Fredericton has no desire from UNB that owns the rink to house a Q team. Trois-Rivieres has expressed interest in AHL once the new arena is built.
What are the options? St John's is happy with the AHL.
Relocate to where?
Is Sorel-Tracey's rink up to standards?

rocketfan

Dec 25, 2008
The rumors now say the Rocket will be sold to Sorel Tracey but I cant see it horrible timing if Savard did sell, The just put 4 new screens in the Civic Center that I am sure are not cheap plus they already ordered there jerseys and gloves and pants and helmets etc for next seasons PEI Islanders, Fans are starting to come back yesterday our announced crowd at the CCC was 3037 we have had 3 or 4 crowds of 22-2300 fans since xmas fans are starting to come back to sell now would be a kick in the nuts, just when this franchise is on the mend, I really cant see it happeneing not next yr anyways

NBHockey

finish your checks
Jan 12, 2012
New Brunswick
It's a fluid deadline....Lewiston was bought by the league knowing that Sherbrooke would buy an expansion franchise.
My question is where would they move?
Trois-Rivieres is with-in another team's exclusion zone so unless they got $ to waive?
Fredericton has no desire from UNB that owns the rink to house a Q team. Trois-Rivieres has expressed interest in AHL once the new arena is built.
What are the options? St John's is happy with the AHL.
Relocate to where?
Is Sorel-Tracey's rink up to standards?

Not heard this in my circles but they do have a new rink the STU Tommies play in up there.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Not heard this in my circles but they do have a new rink the STU Tommies play in up there.

Grant-Harvey Centre is a beautiful facility 1 NHL rink and 1 Olympic with see-through boards at the benches for sledge hockey plus other fitness and wellness rooms/facilities.
But the main rink seats 1500 and Q minimum is 3500 seating unless grandfathered for existing teams

rocketfan

Dec 25, 2008
Does anybody actually think the Rocket/Islaners will be gone from Charlottetown next season?

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Does anybody actually think the Rocket/Islaners will be gone from Charlottetown next season?
Don't believe anything until it's done and the season starts.
How much did Verdun spend to renovate and with-in how many years were the Junior to become the Armada?
Is Verdun with-in BLB's protection zone by the way?

NBHockey

finish your checks
Jan 12, 2012
New Brunswick
Grant-Harvey Centre is a beautiful facility 1 NHL rink and 1 Olympic with see-through boards at the benches for sledge hockey plus other fitness and wellness rooms/facilities.
But the main rink seats 1500 and Q minimum is 3500 seating unless grandfathered for existing teams

Ah ok i didnt know it seated so few, shame really.

rocketfan

Dec 25, 2008
I guess Sorel town officals approved of give money for upgrades to the arena to get a Q team back there for next fall not looking good for the Rocket

Flyers12

Feb 7, 2008
Why not a move like in the ohl some years ago when the Majors moved from Toronto to Mississauga and the Ice Dogs from Mississauga to St. Catharine?

The Rocket would move to Sorel-Tracy and the Titan to Charlottetown or Summerside and take the name of Islanders?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Why did the OHL do it that way lol ?

Melnyk was looking for a new rink for the Majors got booted out of the gardens, couldn't get a lease at Ricoh or a new one anywhere else. Owner of the Ice dogs wanted out so Melnyk owned both teams for a few months until selling to St. Catherines hence the double move.

The O was able to kills two birds with one stone!

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
Why not a move like in the ohl some years ago when the Majors moved from Toronto to Mississauga and the Ice Dogs from Mississauga to St. Catharine?

The Rocket would move to Sorel-Tracy and the Titan to Charlottetown or Summerside and take the name of Islanders?

Would moving to Summerside a team having survival troubles while Charlottetown is also having survival problems be a solution though?

I think that, in both Bathurst and PEI, a change of ownership would be the better solution....not a relocation.

rocketfan

Dec 25, 2008
I think next year with the Rocket changing to the Islanders and if they have a decent team they will be ok attendance wise I really dont want to see the Rocket or Titan leave I really believe that Savard is telling the truth when he says the team is staying this year and I think the titan will be staying 2. Why do Quebec teams that lost these teams before keep trying to get them back we hear this every year about the Rocket and Titan and both r still in their cities so lets hope it stays the same I love watching Q hockey in Charlottetown and I love the Maritime division and hope it stays the same

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Melnyk was looking for a new rink for the Majors got booted out of the gardens, couldn't get a lease at Ricoh or a new one anywhere else. Owner of the Ice dogs wanted out so Melnyk owned both teams for a few months until selling to St. Catherines hence the double move.

The O was able to kills two birds with one stone!
Oh okay, that makes a bit more sense.

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
I think next year with the Rocket changing to the Islanders and if they have a decent team they will be ok attendance wise I really dont want to see the Rocket or Titan leave I really believe that Savard is telling the truth when he says the team is staying this year and I think the titan will be staying 2. Why do Quebec teams that lost these teams before keep trying to get them back we hear this every year about the Rocket and Titan and both r still in their cities so lets hope it stays the same I love watching Q hockey in Charlottetown and I love the Maritime division and hope it stays the same

Question is if the Rocket will have a decent team next year as they will have alot of holes to fill.....Currie, Duffy, Micallef will be gone and possibly Beran and/or Pavelka, Vance, etc.

One reason why we hear PEI and Bathurst in re-location rumours is because of their low attendances, people putting 2 and 2 together. Who knows if there are any substance to these rumours but owners like Savard and LGM are not going to come out and say they are looking/considering the possibility of selling or moving, which is why I usually take what they say with a grain of salt. Savard seems to get frustrated in dealing with these rumours but really it is of his own doing with the way he has run the team and the resulting consequences. Just my gut feeling but I wouldn't be surprised if he has at the least been kicking a few tires or entertaining a few phone calls from interested parties looking to buy.

rocketfan

Dec 25, 2008
Wingman yeah he would be stupid if he wasnt listening to offers I think Q hockey could actually do good in Charlottetown if we actually had a championship contending team sometime

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Wingman yeah he would be stupid if he wasnt listening to offers I think Q hockey could actually do good in Charlottetown if we actually had a championship contending team sometime

QMJHL hockey would do well in Miramichi if they had a championship calibre team... PEI's day will come, but only if people support the team well enough for it to make sense to keep it there long enough. If they consistently draw flies like Bathurst does when the team isn't a contender, you may well lose the team eventually.

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
PEI and Bathrust haven't been relevant for a while, once they become powerhouses the bandwagoners will come back.

Unfortunately, there aren't many die hard fans around these days.

That's true of everyone though.

It's the old Montréal Expos 'We'd still have our team if we'd have won the World Series' nonsense. It's probably true, but it's no excuse.

rocketfan

Dec 25, 2008
I have been a season ticket holder since yr 1 and will continue to be until they lock the doors, And truthfully I dont think the team will be leaving this year I also think the Islander name will help draw a little but if the team doesent win they will stop supporting the Islanders too, but I dont think we lose the team for next yr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad