Injury Report: Roberto Luongo 12/4/17 (groin injury), out 6-8 weeks

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
f*** MAN.

Even if we aren't doing well, I 100% still enjoy seeing Luongo. And I guess the times when we can see a full season of him are gone.

f*** time. f*** getting old.

Damn it. What an absolute sucker punch to the dick and balls.

This f***in hurts. Not because of making the playoffs, but just as a fun. This f***ing hurts. f*** the 2016-2018 seasons.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
cb0f5efb92b43d409447131e2340913c.jpg

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Anyone think we could pry Khudobin From the bruins?

I doubt it. He's the only reason Boston got any wins in the first 20 games. But if Florida is looking for cheap capable goaltending, then there are actually a lot of options.

Pickard is in the minors for Toronto, and he could be had. He started a lot of NHL games last season. Same idea for Hutchinson in Winnipeg. He's an NHL quality guy stuck in the minors

Buffalo is reportedly shopping it's goalies, and Chad Johnson has always been a borderline 1B guy. Not a saviour, but he's been more than a backup before.

Or maybe a real gamble like Petr Mrazek would be worth a shot. He looked like a top 10 goalie not long ago, but fell out of favour in Detroit. That team is probably a seller, and won't want to pay the salary needed to keep him after this season anyway.

The Avs are reportedly looking to move Andrew Hammond. Although he'd probably be a backup to Reimer at best.

Then there's always 3rd stringers like Lindback, Tokarski, or Leighton kicking around. They could be added to suppliment Reimer for a month or two and then disappear when Roberto is back. That's less useful if Lou is shut down for the year.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Not if the rumors of them wanting to move on from Rask are true. They dealt Subban to LVK to give this guy more playing time as it is.

Should go for Rask then, no? Anyway, doubt Tallon will be able to add that $7 mill long-term and I doubt if Boston ends up trading him, it will be within the division.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
If we go looking for a goalie now, the price will be high. I doubt Petro would fetch us one. So not surprised that Sateri is brought up.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Well that's good news. 6-8 weeks to heal and rehab is a quite a bit longer than Rask in 2012 who needed 4-6 weeks and actually came back in 3 to 4 weeks. Rask continued to play well for 5 more years and likely had minor flare ups that were more of a distraction than anything else as long as the trainers worked with him to keep it loose. At age 30 he did finally elect to have the surgery after the 16-17 season. He started the 17-18 season weak and then suffered a concussion that set him back. Lately he seems to be back to his old self.

Lu was last bothered by the groin almost 10 years ago. Per the reports this injury looks to be more severe than the one 10 years ago and is certainly more painful than Rask's injury last year in which he missed little down time. Luongo is 38 and well on his way to 39 in 3/18. It will be interesting to see if they can keep it loose enough for him to perform down the stretch for the Cats upon his return. The big question will be is will he elect off-season surgery at age 39 in order to return next season. :)

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Should go for Rask then, no? Anyway, doubt Tallon will be able to add that $7 mill long-term and I doubt if Boston ends up trading him, it will be within the division.
I don't see the Cats getting involved with Rask. They may take a flyer on a 2nd or 3rd tier guy who is better than Sateri and then go into the off-season UFA market (which I highly doubt we could attract anyone that was good unless we way overpaid) to fill the gap. No one will want to do us any favors in a trade as we have very few chips that could bring the caliber needed). I'm not even sure Monty has the upside for the future. According to Thunderbird fans he has been very underwhelming. :)

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Why should we spend any assets on a goalie? Shouldn't this be a blessing. We're not making the playoffs. This team has no depth up front, d is too inexperienced, and goaltending has been inconsistent. Plus our special teams are below average. I'd say it's impossible to turn this season around.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013

Have to agree, immensely frustrating the team can’t be upfront with this info. Especially involving a star player.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Why would he ever retire? Wouldn't he just get paid and stay on LTIR?

He would first need an injury that was bad enough to qualify for LTIR

Savard with his concussion, Horton with his back, Hossa with his skin condition etc.
This groin injury isn't exactly a long term injury.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
@Brokin
Boughner said, the current Groin Injurie doesnt belong to his hip surgery.
But from my understanding of Hip and Groin its also cm/inches away from each other and the surgery was also on the right Side.
Is there really a chance that both Injuries doesnt have anything to do with each other. Since the peripheral joints and muscle all belong together.
Did the Coach doesnt know it or more he lie about it.

I Question you, cause from what i read you have quiet knowledge about it.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
@Brokin
Boughner said, the current Groin Injurie doesnt belong to his hip surgery.
But from my understanding of Hip and Groin its also cm/inches away from each other and the surgery was also on the right Side.
Is there really a chance that both Injuries doesnt have anything to do with each other. Since the peripheral joints and muscle all belong together.
Did the Coach doesnt know it or more he lie about it.

I Question you, cause from what i read you have quiet knowledge about it.
That's a good question as Lu had intermittent sharp groin pain during the 15-16 season that would come and go. On 3/3/16 in Denver he stretched to make a save and this time the pain didn't go away. He was diagnosed with a labrum tear of the hip after the game (never reported) but managed to keep playing and not missing a rotation with the help of the trainers. After the season on 5/3/16 he had the hip surgery but the NHL didn't report it to the public until 6/3/16.

The hip labral tear is diagnosed by injecting a dye into the hip joint and viewing with an MRI. I would assume this was done after the game the other night to determine that it wasn't the hip again. I believe Bobby Boo, as he would be crucified for reporting no hip injury and there was subsequent hip surgery after the season. I believe the league mandates transparency by the team on all surgeries at some point closely after they are completed. Lu could still elect to have the groin surgery after this season if he and his doctors feel it could extend his career. Have to wait and see how it plays out. :)

Reactions: GermanPanther

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
The levels of speculation are unbelievable. But hey, freedom of speech and all that.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
More innuendo with no substance. Try debating me point for point on all this speculation.;)

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Why should we spend any assets on a goalie? Shouldn't this be a blessing. We're not making the playoffs. This team has no depth up front, d is too inexperienced, and goaltending has been inconsistent. Plus our special teams are below average. I'd say it's impossible to turn this season around.

Hard to disagree with that.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Hard to disagree with that.

I agree, depending on who we are targetting.

Luo is about done and Reimer isn't a full time starter. IF we could nab a relatively young goalie that has starting potential then I think it's worth giving up a mid level asset.
If we are talking about a 34 year old washed up goalie, then no stay the course.
But if the staff thinks a guy like Hutchinson(for example) has starting potential and he is available for a 3rd or 4th(or whatever), then make the trade.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I agree, depending on who we are targetting.

Luo is about done and Reimer isn't a full time starter. IF we could nab a relatively young goalie that has starting potential then I think it's worth giving up a mid level asset.
If we are talking about a 34 year old washed up goalie, then no stay the course.
But if the staff thinks a guy like Hutchinson(for example) has starting potential and he is available for a 3rd or 4th(or whatever), then make the trade.

Good Argument the next Goalie the next Goalie must be a young one with clear Starter Lvl, not potential. Reimers contract has 3 Years left, Lou near or reached his end.
If we really think with the next Season and upcoming Prospect there is a chance to be better. Then we need a Goalies you can trust and able to play 60+ Games.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
5 bold NHL predictions for 2018

Um does this guy know something we don't about Lu? Thought this was a little weird to read even though it is a possibility.

NHL witnesses a changing of the guard

As the league continues its trend toward being "a young man's game," we are set to lose some of the favorite faces of our beloved sport.
Daniel and Henrik Sedin (37), Joe Thornton (38), Roberto Luongo (38), Zdeno Chara (40), and Jaromir Jagr (45) all plan to hang up their skates in 2018 after leaving indelible marks on the last two decades of hockey.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Click bait, but we could debate it I suppose, hurts VAN more than us.

Ya I figured too.

Jagr is the only one on that list that is 100%. Thornton is probably pretty close as well but may get the itch one last time at lesser $$

I'd assume Vancouver may offer Sedins a one year deal if they commit to it. They could use the depth and maybe they slide down to the 2nd or 3rd line.

Chara has stated he wanted to play one more year if possible.

Luongo has one more year in him if he wants to, 2019 would also be the best year for us if he retires, related to the cap recapture in total dollars. (taking into account he doesn't make it to 2020 and 2021).

Bh6uzX3CcAQFnWt.png

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Speaking of goaltending... provided Lou still does play next year and Cowley doesn't show more promise by then, I'd really like us to go in the offseason and sign a young-ish (21-24 y.o.) guy from Europe to a cheap two-way deal. Give a bit of competition to Montembeault and who knows, maybe you'll get a nice surprise (not like we have awesome depth of goalie prospects).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad