Injury Report: Roberto Luongo 12/4/17 (groin injury), out 6-8 weeks

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i still think next year is his last. but if the injury/recovery is that much of an issue or hampers him, it wouldnt be surprised to see him retire before next season starts. makes no difference for us really with the recapture, and we'd probably wanna move on anyways. itd make it easier if he did but ill assume he toughs out next year for his final season.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
i still think next year is his last. but if the injury/recovery is that much of an issue or hampers him, it wouldnt be surprised to see him retire before next season starts. makes no difference for us really with the recapture, and we'd probably wanna move on anyways. itd make it easier if he did but ill assume he toughs out next year for his final season.

Canucks will get the recapture penalty

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Canucks will get the recapture penalty
Only if Lu plays until 2021, otherwise we'll have some of it too. The chart is on the previous page, post #74.

Basically it's meaningless for us since it's not actual money and if the internal cap holds, an extra 1.5M-ish of dead cap won't change anything.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Only if Lu plays until 2021, otherwise we'll have some of it too. The chart is on the previous page, post #74.

Basically it's meaningless for us since it's not actual money and if the internal cap holds, an extra 1.5M-ish of dead cap won't change anything.

But does Lu retire or just conveniently go on LTIR and his contract gets sent around to teams looking for the cap hit without actually having to pay it?

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
True. But after his claim and the questioning of the Hossa skin issue, I wonder if the NHL may do a double take on some players going on LTIR?

The NHL seems to let teams do a lot of stuff to avoid penalties and contracts that teams want to make go away. Kovalchuk, Richards, Lupul, etc. As long as Lu plays along and why wouldn’t he one million dollars is a lot of poker playing money for saying I just can’t play anymore.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Reimer gives up 8 goals across 2 games and wins both. Better hope that luck doesn't run out.

Ya most goalies don't come back strong from injuries. Hoping LU can be decent and build off it, he's our #1 and probably brings a lot of confidence to the team when in our own end. I really hope we can make a run this year and next to give him a chance on his way out. He deserves it with all the losing seasons he endured here.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Ya most goalies don't come back strong from injuries.

And if we're operating on that excuse, why would he start straight off the IR? Why not back-up for a few games and extend Sateri's leash a bit. Asking this group of forwards to pot 4 goals a game in order to win is unsustainable and unreasonable.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
And if we're operating on that excuse, why would he start straight off the IR? Why not back-up for a few games and extend Sateri's leash a bit. Asking this group of forwards to pot 4 goals a game in order to win is unsustainable and unreasonable.

Ya I understand your thinking but just feel he needs game time to get his reflexes and timing back. Wish he was able to come back during the past 5 games with easier competition but it is what it is. I like Sateri but 9 games will not change my mind when looking towards a "healthy" LU.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Expected Saturday vs Calgary

Give Luongo a rested panthers squad and Reimer his hometown team the next night? Checks out.

If Reimer lays another turd, though, Boughner is going to have to reconsider recalling Sateri because there's no sense in shitting away the season on the principle of playing the expensive back-up.

Reactions: Breaking Dadonov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad