Injury Report: Roberto Luongo 12/4/17 (groin injury), out 6-8 weeks

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Well looking at the replay of the Rask injury, Lu was in much more pain and needed a lot more assistance to get off the ice. Not saying it's not a groin injury but it's possible the whole hip joint became dislocated.

Lu had labral hip surgery to repair a partial tear in May 2016 and was back on the ice for the start of the 16-17 season. Since the labral is the cartilage that holds the hip ball joint in the socket, a complete dislocation is an outside possibility. A complete dislocation is usually caused by heavy trauma (car accident ect), and the initial pain is much more acute than a groin tear.

I would hope he was sent directly to the ER for immediate treatment and an MRI last night. They should have kept him overnight as a precaution until they know for sure what the problem is. If it's the hip then they need to do a reduction and get it back in place. If it's the groin then Lu should just be treated for the pain and inflammation until he decides who he wants to have do the surgery. Knowing sports stars, they generally will use a renowned physician in the field. :(

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
If this is the end for Lu, then hopefully he retires and the partial recapture goes back to the Canucks. Instead of getting hit with $4.5M for the next 4 years under LTIR, the Cats would only have a hit of $1.45 per season if I understand it correctly. Of course as a business man, Lu would be losing out on close to $6M in salary (not exactly chump change) for a guy who has grossed over $85M in salary for his career. :)

Last edited:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
If this is the end for Lu, then hopefully he retires and the recapture goes back to the Canucks. We will need the $4.1M to $4.5M in cap space to sign a UFA and Lu certainly doesn't need the $2.8M he will receive in 18-19 if he refuses to retire until 19-20. LTIR does us no good unless we are a Cap team if I understand it correctly. Recapture is $4.1, $4.3, and $4.3 that the Canucks will have to absorb starting in 18-19. :(
Why would he ever retire? Wouldn't he just get paid and stay on LTIR?

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
If this is the end for Lu, then hopefully he retires and the recapture goes back to the Canucks. We will need the $4.1M to $4.5M in cap space to sign a UFA and Lu certainly doesn't need the $2.8M he will receive in 18-19 if he refuses to retire until 19-20. LTIR does us no good unless we are a Cap team if I understand it correctly. Recapture is $4.1, $4.3, and $4.3 that the Canucks will have to absorb starting in 18-19. :(

Looks like 4 years of 1.4m....

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Why would he ever retire? Wouldn't he just get paid and stay on LTIR?
My bad. Yup that makes sense. I changed my reply. Still in all, the Cats like the wiggle room they get by not having heavy LTIR cap hits as per the Bolland and Savard trades. It's also possible that Lu and Tallon had a verbal for him to retire if he had a permanent injury to consummate the trade.

LTIR seems to handcuff roster moves in the off-season for Cap teams and the only reason it made sense to move Savard and Bolland was the anticipation they would become a Cap team before their contract's expired. :laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: RainingRats

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Doesn't going on LTIR reduce the pay rate per year and stretches it over time?

Unless thats the NBA LTIR I'm thinking off. Probably NBA.

But, I think Luongo is a "good guy" and he will do what's best without affecting Florida or Vancouver. He will work a deal or something.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Doesn't going on LTIR reduce the pay rate per year and stretches it over time?

Unless thats the NBA LTIR I'm thinking off. Probably NBA.

But, I think Luongo is a "good guy" and he will do what's best without affecting Florida or Vancouver. He will work a deal or something.
LTIR allows you to exceed the cap ceiling by that player's caphit. The downside is that there's no LTIR during the offseason and you can only go above the cap by like 10%. As long as the internal budget is held, Lu's contract should be a non-issue, since we'll be a good 10M+ below the cap ceiling anyway.

However, I don't think this is the end for Lu.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
All the free agent goalies were, obviously, signed to terms on other teams (Elliott, Bishop etc).

I saw that Buffalo is shopping Chad Johnson and Robin Lehner around (LOL).

for 2018, this is your list of UFA goalies.

Kari Lehthemin
Halak, Ward, Lack, Bernier, Niemi, Hamburglar, Pavelec, Khudobin, Hutchinson (Looks to be the best of nothing, besides Halak), and a laundry list of nothing.

You missed the two most promising UFAs . . . Aaron Dell of SJ and Carter Hutton of STL. Both will have a lot of interest.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
He has 26 days to retire so that we can save @$600K.
If I understand it correctly, (and that's a big if) if Lu doesn't retire his $4.5M Cap hit remains on our books for 4 more years after the 17-18 season. This would include the option of him being LTIR'd for the remainder of his contract.

The Cap hit is no skin off our teeth if we never become a Cap team. He is however owed close to $6M in salary which we would still be on the hook for if he doesn't retire. :)

Last edited:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
It's amazing that so many are ready to send Lu to greener pastures before the diagnosis is even in...

Reactions: Vilam and iSophagus

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
well its because hes already old. hes been struggling with lower body injuries and health for the last couple seasons, hes admitted the older he gets the more preparation he has to put in, etc, hes already made a boat load of money, there nothing to really chase except for a cup but hes not getting that here, has 4yrs left after this season where he makes 3.38mil next year, but after that its just 1.6, 1.0, and 1.0 in the last 3yrs. why at his age, with his health, at this stage in his career, would he play for <1.6? if this is another bad groin lower body injury i just dont see the point, from his pov, to continue. he just recently passed another goaltender in the wins category, be happy with that spot and move on. hes 38, at 40 years old and breaking down hes going to play with under 1.6? just dont see why. plus we'd want the cap relief and the recapture isnt a big deal.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
well its because hes already old. hes been struggling with lower body injuries and health for the last couple seasons, hes admitted the older he gets the more preparation he has to put in, etc, hes already made a boat load of money, there nothing to really chase except for a cup but hes not getting that here, has 4yrs left after this season where he makes 3.38mil next year, but after that its just 1.6, 1.0, and 1.0 in the last 3yrs. why at his age, with his health, at this stage in his career, would he play for <1.6? if this is another bad groin lower body injury i just dont see the point, from his pov, to continue. he just recently passed another goaltender in the wins category, be happy with that spot and move on. hes 38, at 40 years old and breaking down hes going to play with under 1.6? just dont see why. plus we'd want the cap relief and the recapture isnt a big deal.
We don't need the capspace when we're below the ceiling due to the internal cap to begin with and insurance would pay (most of) Lu's salary anyway.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
It's amazing that so many are ready to send Lu to greener pastures before the diagnosis is even in...

Yeas of cause, it is not the first Time he is been injured in the groin/Hip Area. It´s more or less his 7th Time in 2 1/2 Years. And that is for an Goalie going up to the 40 very hard. Special when you had an operation in the Groin/hip Area, to repair a former Injurie you played with.

Now the same Area same Leg is injured again 8 Month after Operation, it doesnt matter anymore what it is. More Injuries will come, in the Area and his ground movement in the Butterfly suffer under it. When we talk in the GDT Thread old man moveing on the ground, that is comes from that he really need time to stand up after a simple Butterfly. And that already show you, he is good with his Glove has the expierence and knowledge. But skating and ground moveing really suffer under it.

And when you really respect a Person or be a friend of him. That you really should talk to him, if this is really okay how long does he think, it will work out before next OP. When the next one is again in the Hip Area his movement slows him more then current, his career is done.
No one knows then how he can work or walk after the Sport.
I think People always forget to watch out, after the Sports Career you should be able to move around without late or permanent Problems.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
We don't need the capspace when we're below the ceiling due to the internal cap to begin with and insurance would pay (most of) Lu's salary anyway.
we're spending a combined 8mil on goaltenders and not too much to show for it, at least at that dollar amount, is what i ultimately was getting at. would rather move on from his contract and reimers and go after something else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad