Injury Report: RNH To Have Season Ending Shoulder Surgery (Labrum Tear)

Sloth Slothersons*

Why was he even playing? If they knew he had to have surgery and then he went to play the WJ's that's even more of a joke..

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Am I the only one who things this could impact RNH's career. He had a dud of a 2nd season, now will have a severely impacted 3rd season with his offseason cancelled. The guy is'nt a warrier like Hall, he needs to do a hell of a lot of training to add weight and muscle to his frame.

This whole injury was very, very poorly managed by the organization. Typical bumbling.

NeutralZone

Oct 29, 2011
It'll be interesting to see how Mac T reacts in the off season. I think he pretty much has to pick up another centre now, and trading away Gagner is a lot less likely. If they want to add size to the top 6, it pretty much has to be a left winger.

thinlizzy

Mar 9, 2013
Jason Strudwick said on his radio show that he figured something was up with Nuge with the way he was holding his stick. I would imagine the kid tried to play through it and eventually talked to Hall about his injury and surgery finally opting to get it done since we were in the toilet anyway. Unsure if management was pushing him to play through. He is young so I would imagine recovery will be quick.

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree
Labrum tears are the single most common injuries in junior hockey players. When I worked in Junior A approximately 1/3 of every roster struggled with labrum strain throughout the season. In major junior I have heard these percentages to be even higher.

No surprise that this came from his junior days. I would guess a slight guy like RNH has been dealing with this type of injury well before anyone understands.

Labrum tears are nearly impossible to see on an MRI and are commonly treated with therapy for long periods time before the nagging pain causes a lack of mobility. The truth is, if you're not an athlete a labrum tear would almost never need surgery.

In RNHs case I think this is a perfect scenario for him. He was able to play basically a full season and increase overall muscle mass. Most people don't realize that these injuries can actually help overall shoulder strength. In order to maintain range of motion with a labrum tear you actually need to increase surrounding muscles. HE will be stronger overall because of this.

As for recover time, I would guess 3 months before he's shooting and then probably another month before he is completely recovered for physical contact. Not sure where there puts him for the start of the season but I can't seeing him missing more than a handful of games. That is, if they even do surgery at all.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Y'all gettin' too worked up about recovery time. It's unfair to use Hall's recovery as a yard stick because for one, they're different people. Two, they probably have different injuries and even if they're similar, you probably have different severities. And three, RNH played through it.

Until you hear word from the doctors in Cleveland or the Oilers doctors, I wouldn't take too much into speculation from the media and other posters about recovery time.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
This throws a huge monkey wrench into next year. We essentially can't trade Gagner now even if we wanted to.

We should have made certain he was ready to go for the start of next season..

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Not many people know how a injury work I see.

Hilarious we are blaming the Oilers.

Surgery is a last choice. No doctor will let you do surgery before rehab. They rehabbed it and he must of had enough movement and strength in it to keep playing.

Dont worry the Oilers watched this very very very closely. Your a fool if you think otherwise.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
We all knew the guy was having shoulder problems. It's almost a relief in a sense because his regression this year is likely mostly injury related rather than his play genuinely regressing because of an inability to to cope with NHL calibre of competition.

Hopefully it's much the same situation with Eberle and recovery/surgery this summer will likewise see him get back to the level he was at last season.

Not sure who to "blame"... RNH likely did not want surgery. What young, highly skilled and motivated player wants to sit for months and not play hockey with people they love to play the game with?

The doctors likely (now I'm speculating) said surgery would be necessary to fix the problem but it wasn't mandatory in an immediate sense... so that left a window of time to get it repaired.

Management listened to both the doctors and their young player who obviously wanted to play... and decided to roll with RNH for the short season optimistically thinking they could potentially make the playoffs and generate excitement... seeing how bright the outlook was for the Hall/RNH/Eberle line + Schultz combo in OKC and thinking that would also translate to the NHl level.

Personally I think if there's a lingering problem (for years in this case), get it dealt with asap.

I can't point fingers of blame at anyone in particular but I think management, RNH and the doctors should have come to this conclusion earlier than they did. When a player is struggling (obvious) and looks like he was playing injured (also pretty obvious) to tier 5 and below fans like many of us here... it's logical that something should be done ASAP.

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree

Surgery is a last choice. No doctor will let you do surgery before rehab. They rehabbed it and he must of had enough movement and strength in it to keep playing.

Dont worry the Oilers watched this very very very closely. Your a fool if you think otherwise.

Agreed, I'm not an apologist for managements actions but I think this was dealt with properly.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Your forum name is pretty appropo to someone that would buy what these jokers are selling. A person would be a fool to actually think these guys can do anything right.

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
Not really surprise with all his injuries, so young and so small and taking all these punishment.. Wait till he built up more weight and muscles..

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's shoulder discomfort, it isn't like they had him playing with a separated shoulder. There was a season to be played and the experience you gain from it is important. He can still train this off season it'll just be mostly lower body stuff. He will be a bit late for next season, which is a setback of course but you can't throw a guys season away needlessly when so many people are counting on him. The risk here was minimal.

Of course it's a setback, you don't see that as a problem?
Of course it was a risk, he's a physically underdeveloped player who had a bum shoulder for over a year. How could they not see that as a problem? Development of your future #1 center is more important than some potential flukey playoff run. This team is set up for the future and guys like RNH are big keys to that so this thing should have been take care of early on so that he could have a full offseason of upper body training and be ready for the '13-'14 season to be able to handle more responsbility. Now he will have to focus on rehab moreso than developing that upper body.
Did they actually think that he would succeed this season against tougher matchups with a bum shoulder?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Your forum name is pretty appropo to someone that would buy what these jokers are selling. A person would be a fool to actually think these guys can do anything right.

Come on serious? They tried rehabbing it. Its a doctors choice, not managments choice. Thats a fact.

sOiled

Apr 19, 2012
Edmonton
So you are saying the doctors said he needs surgery right away because he risks further injury, but Oilers management overruled their opinion and said he's playing? Yeah okay you can do ahead and believe that but that's like 9/11 truther stuff. If it comes out that this happened, if Tambo was still GM he deserved to be fired on the spot, but it is very unlikely.

Nope, not what I'm saying at all; no need to hyperbolize everything. As I said months ago, the doctor said that his shoulder would require surgery. I'm unhappy that they decided to play him this season to attempt an unrealistic playoff push instead of shutting him down and getting the surgery ASAP.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
It appears that some of us are now blaming the organization. I was hoping instead that fans would express how ridiculous fans' trade demands of RNH and Eberle have been, realizing that both players have likely played a lot of this season with injuries. These are both great players.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Nope, not what I'm saying at all; no need to hyperbolize everything. As I said months ago, the doctor said that his shoulder would require surgery. I'm unhappy that they decided to play him this season to attempt an unrealistic playoff push instead of shutting him down and getting the surgery ASAP.

Playoffs is only part of it. It is valuable for Nuge to be playing, it's valuable for the team to have him playing. They basically had a choice of sewering his and the team's season, when it wasn't even required, or letting him keep playing and look at an offseason timetable. Seems like an easy choice.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Souray was and is a ****... I don't think many disputed that then or do now. He had issues beyond just injuries... but not getting into that as it derails the topic at hand. Saying that though, at the time many said where there is smoke there is often fire and his comments likely had some truth to them... it was just the way he went about doing what he did that secured his immediate exit and exile... and I think many other GM's and organizations would likely have done something very similar in that situation.

The Oilers DO seem to have a pattern of not dealing with injuries well... and not addressing holes in the lineup created by them.

The fact that they didn't put four and four together when Horcoff/Belanger/RNH/Lander were basically almost all simultaneously out of the lineup... and not dealing to try to acquire more depth at centre goes directly against the image of thinking your team is capable of competing for a playoff spot.

The fact that they kept RNH playing with a sore shoulder while icing a crap lineup that was by design guaranteed to struggle shows that they were deluded.... believing they were a possible playoff contender while clinging to AHL fill-ins and lingering-injured players to get there.

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree

What's the difference? He gained strength and experience by playing and he will likely be back for the start of next season.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Of course it's a setback, you don't see that as a problem?
Of course it was a risk, he's a physically underdeveloped player who had a bum shoulder for over a year. How could they not see that as a problem? Development of your future #1 center is more important than some potential flukey playoff run. This team is set up for the future and guys like RNH are big keys to that so this thing should have been take care of early on so that he could have a full offseason of upper body training and be ready for the '13-'14 season to be able to handle more responsbility. Now he will have to focus on rehab moreso than developing that upper body.
Did they actually think that he would succeed this season against tougher matchups with a bum shoulder?

Yes development of him is important, which is why you don't needlessly kill an entire season for him. Nuge playing in games is more important for him, and the rest of the team, than is improving his bench press in the offseason.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
So which draft pick is playing with a Labrum tear? So we know who the Oilers are drafting.

Taking bets that Yakupov comes back faster from his Labrum tear surgery next year than RNH will this year!

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
If he had gotten it end of last season (April) he could have had solid recovery time from the actual injury and had time in OKC to get back up to speed. I don't necessarily agree with the timing on how this was handled.

I don't agree with people jumping to conclusions about this jeopardizing his development. There are plenty of exercises to gain weight without using your arms and he will probably be skating not 6 - 8 weeks post surgery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad