Injury Report: RNH To Have Season Ending Shoulder Surgery (Labrum Tear)

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
If he's not ready for next season, which looks like it, management is absolutely Pejorative Slured.

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
I have no doubt RNH was the one being adamant about continuing to play through his injury, but it still lies on management to be assertive and force players to get these procedures done for the better of the team and the player. RNH is their asset, and asset management is the name of their game.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Anyone think this has anything to do with the mgmt change? Is this ultimately their decision? Say Tambo didn't want Nuge to get the surgery, MacT is in for only a few days, and they shut him down to get the surgery done sooner then later.

No doubt that tweedledum "why make a decision now" tamblowe is at fault here. By the orgs previously statements they have let players decide when and whether to get surgery instead of actually exacting more control and responsibility with young players who are not likely to go the surgery route themselves.

Really the whole inate aspect of infallible kids is thinking, "I'm fine, it'll heal", while their bone is ripped out of its socket.

Kids are ALWAYS going to say no to required surgery if given an option.

Blaming this on the medical staff is off. Souray had it right. Its what this org does with information and how it communicates, recieves, and acts on it thats more the issue.

In the case of Tambo its not acting on anything period.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
@dantencer: RNH said it stems back to his 2nd year of junior...it's like a duplicate of the Hall story. Same injury stemming from junior.

It is the same story. The Oilers bungled that one too. 2 for 2 now. What a joke of an organization.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
LOL It should be this from now on.

Oilers are so proud to select Barkov. Your shoulder surgery is scheduled for Jan 15, 2014.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I have no doubt RNH was the one being adamant about continuing to play through his injury, but it still lies on management to be assertive and force players to get these procedures done for the better of the team and the player. RNH is their asset, and asset management is the name of their game.

Exactly, and as I've stated all year. RNH was injured, been saying that for a longtime. Why oh why jeopardize next season as well with this late decision to go to surgery.

****ing clueless org.

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
It was not Tambo's call to shut down RNH or not, it resides with the doctors and the player. I suspect RNH wanted to play and the doctors had differences of opinion with inconclusive evidence of the problem.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
LOL It should be this from now on.

Oilers are so proud to select Barkov. Your shoulder surgery is scheduled for Jan 15, 2014.

Haha not 100% sure but I think Barkov is currently out and had a shoulder operation a couple weeks ago.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
I'm thinking that after Sundin landed on RNH earlier this year, they probably should have packed him in for the year.

Buuuuut, after seeing how Hall rebounded, I think RNH can get back in the lineup a little quicker than some expect.

Anyone have any details?

Bob Cole is that you?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It was not Tambo's call to shut down RNH or not, it resides with the doctors and the player. I suspect RNH wanted to play and the doctors had differences of opinion with inconclusive evidence of the problem.

The reality of pro team sports as practiced and applied most anywhere is this is not really the case.

While technically you can say there is individual or medical autonomy the team sport aspect of highly competitive pro sports means you do what the club and team requires you to do.

This org being more than naive affords way too much latitude with a stable of young kids that would be leery of opting for surgery in any situation. Which is why you exact responsible control and pressure as well as instilling peer pressure expectation into the team ethos.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
While people will slag the organization for being a joke, yet again, I find it so weird how many Oiler players have had shoulder surgery throughout the years here.

I'm confident Nuge will bounce back next season. I remember how worried people around here was about Hall after his shoulder surgery. That turned out well, and Hall plays a more physical game than RNH too.

It sucks it took them this long to shut him down, and kudos to the good for trying to play the whole season. Gutsy, but stupid in hindsight.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
I never bought the injury claims, just thought people were looking to make excuses for him. Well, I guess he will be spending a little less time in the weight room this offseason...

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Anyone think this has anything to do with the mgmt change? Is this ultimately their decision? Say Tambo didn't want Nuge to get the surgery, MacT is in for only a few days, and they shut him down to get the surgery done sooner then later.

Not a chance.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
I don't understand the history of this injury. Same shoulder he hurt last year I assume. Didn't he fall earlier in a game this year and aggravate it? And why do they keep clearing him to play if he's not fully healed? Is this going to be a chronic problem for him in he future? Thanks for any replies.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
No doubt that tweedledum "why make a decision now" tamblowe is at fault here. By the orgs previously statements they have let players decide when and whether to get surgery instead of actually exacting more control and responsibility with young players who are not likely to go the surgery route themselves.

Really the whole inate aspect of infallible kids is thinking, "I'm fine, it'll heal", while their bone is ripped out of its socket.

Kids are ALWAYS going to say no to required surgery if given an option.

Blaming this on the medical staff is off. Souray had it right. Its what this org does with information and how it communicates, recieves, and acts on it thats more the issue.

In the case of Tambo its not acting on anything period.

You do realize any medical procedure is the person's own decision right? As long as the person is 18 years old, they cannot be compelled to receive medical treatment. If RNH insisted he wait until season end, besides sitting him on the bench or pressbox, there isn't much they can do.

I suspect that's the case here. Now that the playoffs are a no-go, RNH decided to go for it.

I blame management for lots but we don't allways know the full story when it comes to medical conditions..

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
While people will slag the organization for being a joke, yet again, I find it so weird how many Oiler players have had shoulder surgery throughout the years here.

I'm confident Nuge will bounce back next season. I remember how worried people around here was about Hall after his shoulder surgery. That turned out well, and Hall plays a more physical game than RNH too.

It sucks it took them this long to shut him down, and kudos to the good for trying to play the whole season. Gutsy, but stupid in hindsight.

At some point one would expect a prudent org to look at potential mechanisms of injury as well. We have a high degree of shoulder injuries and twisted, strained ankles here. One could be due to bad ice conditions with series ruts and the other could be due to boards and stanchions with far too little give to them.

Neither of which I expect to be addressed by anybody in the midst of an org that is stating new arena or bust for years.

Aceonfire*

Stupid management. Putting their playoff hopes over the health of their young player.

Every Oil fan knew it was still bothering him. Similar to Hall last year. This should have been done months ago.

sOiled

Apr 19, 2012
Edmonton
So that one poster who said he knew the doctor who looked at Nuge's shoulder and the doctor told him he needs surgery was right after all. Should have got this done earlier but whatever. Loved his development defensively. Still showed his vision is unbelievable. Hope he comes back better than ever

Yeah that was me, you guys were understandably skeptical though. Glad to see him get it done, he just hasn't been the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad