Injury Report: RNH To Have Season Ending Shoulder Surgery (Labrum Tear)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
@dantencer: Ralph Krueger says "it wasn't even a question" that RNH would continue to play until they were out of race. "We didn't even consider this."

Oh ****, the idiot money quote.

Looks like the positivity sunshine lollipops crew thought this team ever was legitimately in a playoff race this year and so thus stalled the surgery this long. wow just wow.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
This is infuriating, should have been shut down in December/January when even casual fans looked at him and could tell he wasn't right. This isn't Hall, I can see this being a long recovery. Let's hope MacT has a contingency plan because if Gagner is moved and Hopkins can't start the year, we go in to opening day with Shawn Horcoff as our #1 center.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
2-3 months ago?? This season was 3 months long. Sorry but him missing the entire 2nd season would be a complete disaster. So he had some shoulder discomfort and didn't play to the best of his healthy ability, boo hoo. He isn't going to miss half of next year unless something goes terribly wrong during his recovery.

that is my entire point... we all knew he had this injury before the WJCs... but yet he went and played in the WJC, for some unknown reason, and then played the entire season with a bum shoulder.... both of these decisions were Pejorative Slured... nobody expected to actually make the playoffs this year, so why was RNH playing still... it makes no sense whatsoever

he could have had the surgery in january and be only 2-3 months away from being fully recovered.... this would have allowed him to get in 2 months of training for next season (which is the important season anyhow, where we expect to challenge for the playoffs).... instead of that reasonable idea, RNH will have surgery sometime in the next week, not be able to train at all, and likely be pushed back into action a little too soon next november

just a ridiculously stupid decision to let him play this season, inexcusable

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Oh ****, the idiot money quote.

Looks like the positivity sunshine lollipops crew thought this team ever was legitimately in a playoff race this year and so thus stalled the surgery this long. wow just wow.

yeah this says a lot right here (if we take it at face value).... this team legitimately believed that they were it the playoff race this year... wow indeed

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'd say by now the most hated player on the oilers of the last few years is proven to be 100% correct on his assessment of the oilers management and their medical staff. Of course every one and their dog on here actually backed lowe and the boys and their black balling of Souray.

These idiots are going to screw up all the potential of this team no doubt in my mind.

I could not agree more and this is coming from a guy that was furious after Souray went after Iginla and got himself injured.

Everything that guy has said has been true. Its almost prophetic.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
that is my entire point... we all knew he had this injury before the WJCs... but yet he went and played in the WJC, for some unknown reason, and then played the entire season with a bum shoulder.... both of these decisions were Pejorative Slured... nobody expected to actually make the playoffs this year, so why was RNH playing still... it makes no sense whatsoever

he could have had the surgery in january and be only 2-3 months away from being fully recovered.... this would have allowed him to get in 2 months of training for next season (which is the important season anyhow, where we expect to challenge for the playoffs).... instead of that reasonable idea, RNH will have surgery sometime in the next week, not be able to train at all, and likely be pushed back into action a little too soon next november

just a ridiculously stupid decision to let him play this season, inexcusable

It's shoulder discomfort, it isn't like they had him playing with a separated shoulder. There was a season to be played and the experience you gain from it is important. He can still train this off season it'll just be mostly lower body stuff. He will be a bit late for next season, which is a setback of course but you can't throw a guys season away needlessly when so many people are counting on him. The risk here was minimal.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
If we were in 9th or 10th place, I could see us playing him through injury. But the last few games? No way. Questionable decision my management/coaches.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's shoulder discomfort, it isn't like they had him playing with a separated shoulder. There was a season to be played and the experience you gain from it is important. He can still train this off season it'll just be mostly lower body stuff. He will be a bit late for next season, which is a setback of course but you can't throw a guys season away needlessly when so many people are counting on him. The risk here was minimal.

Go back and look at what I said in post 70. That an injury left untreated begats other injury.

Its obvious in this that RNH all along had been getting the shoulder dinged and it was impacting him. Its obvious that this was flaring up due to ongoing insult to injury.

A shoulder doesn't have to be seperated for it to spur further injury. In a vicious contact sport like hockey it should be obvious that any shoulder injury is going to put the player in a vulnerable position of risking much further injury.

In a sense turning a small kid out there with one arm tied behind his back playing with killers and telling him "play safe" is a recipe for ensuing disaster.:help:

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
I'd say by now the most hated player on the oilers of the last few years is proven to be 100% correct on his assessment of the oilers management and their medical staff. Of course every one and their dog on here actually backed lowe and the boys and their black balling of Souray.

These idiots are going to screw up all the potential of this team no doubt in my mind.

Everyone in the media certainly backed management, but not everyone on this board. I certainly said we needed to know more before dismissing his accusations.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Go back and look at what I said in post 70. That an injury left untreated begats other injury.

Its obvious in this that RNH all along had been getting the shoulder dinged and it was impacting him. Its obvious that this was flaring up due to ongoing insult to injury.

A shoulder doesn't have to be seperated for it to spur further injury. In a vicious contact sport like hockey it should be obvious that any shoulder injury is going to put the player in a vulnerable position of risking much further injury.

In a sense turning a small kid out there with one arm tied behind his back playing with killers and telling him "play safe" is a recipe for ensuing disaster.:help:

Well he missed what 1 game due to his shoulder? Doesn't sound like it was that bad. He was still competing and hitting people. You don't throw a guys whole season cause his shoulder is dinged up. You get professional opinions and do the best you can. In this case, the professionals said it wasn't a danger and he could wait for surgery until a later date. I will take their opinion over yours.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
They should have sent him ~ world jr time. Everyone knew he needed surgery.
Throw away the shortened season..

At this rate, NUGE is definitely not getting one of those 6x6mil deals next season.

sOiled

Apr 19, 2012
Edmonton
Well he missed what 1 game due to his shoulder? Doesn't sound like it was that bad. He was still competing and hitting people. You don't throw a guys whole season cause his shoulder is dinged up. You get professional opinions and do the best you can. In this case, the professionals said it wasn't a danger and he could wait for surgery until a later date. I will take their opinion over yours.

Except you don't have their opinions, you're just speculating.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
After the 2008-2009 season David Krejci had the same surgery. And that year Boston went two rounds deep into the playoffs. He had played pretty much the whole year with the injury. The next year he played 79 games.

It is to early to write of the first few months of next year.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton

So you are saying the doctors said he needs surgery right away because he risks further injury, but Oilers management overruled their opinion and said he's playing? Yeah okay you can do ahead and believe that but that's like 9/11 truther stuff. If it comes out that this happened, if Tambo was still GM he deserved to be fired on the spot, but it is very unlikely.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

By everything I've heard and was rumored the medical professionals were stating surgery was required.

Also when the medical establishment states something like "continued use won't worsen the injury" they are generally citing normal use citation. Not speaking about the high impact and dangerous world of pro hockey where shoulders as a rule are subjected to as much insult and injury as any pro sport.

Perhaps something lost in the translation about pro hockey. Its one thing to tell a hiker, yeah continue to hike, you can have the shoulder surgery later when you get back, vs applying this logic to somebody that in an occupation where they get more impact on a shoulder every night then anybody else would get in a year at work and play..

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
By everything I've heard and was rumored the medical professionals were stating surgery was required.

Also when the medical establishment states something like "continued use won't worsen the injury" they are generally citing normal use citation. Not speaking about the high impact and dangerous world of pro hockey where shoulders as a rule are subjected to as much insult and injury as any pro sport.

Perhaps something lost in the translation about pro hockey. Its one thing to tell a hiker, yeah continue to hike, you can have the surgery later when you get back, vs applying this logic to somebody that in an occupation where they get more impact on it every night then anybody else would get in a year at work and play..

You must not have a very high opinion of doctors if you think they aren't capable of applying a diagnosis to a person and consider their profession in their opinion. I find that pretty insulting to their intelligence.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
@NHLbyMatty: If Hall's recovery is yardstick, RNH won't be back until November after shoulder surgery

Hall's last game was March 16th of last season. RNH's is nearing the end of April. So by that timeline, we're looking at around xmas.

I sure hope it's sooner than that.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You must not have a very high opinion of doctors if you think they aren't capable of applying a diagnosis to a person and consider their profession in their opinion. I find that pretty insulting to their intelligence.

I'm stating that something could get lost in the translation. I'm not stating the doctors in question are stupid, I'm not even blaming the doctors, I'm blaming management.

For instance consider this scenario:

Doctors state kid needs surgery. (which has been posted and rumored here)

Tambo looks up his "Medicine for dummies" anthology series that states that a torn labrum can continue to be used without further undue risk. (without considering that this specific situation of use is much different than normative)

Tambo then refuses to act on medical recommendation because, well, he's the expert..

see how that could play out?

Karsa Orlong

Knight of chains
May 6, 2012
Edmonton

It is pretty easy to see what their opinions are based on the actions they have taken.

In fact everyone else on this thread seems to be speculating the other way, and saying that they made the wrong decision. I tend to agree with Insta, as unpopular as that idea seems to be. We do not know all of the facts, so it would be ignorant to assume we know better.

I really want to agree, and say "yeah they should have pulled him a long time ago". But if the injury was really from more than 2 years ago, then it obviously is something that he could live with. I have a friend that had something similar done a few years back, and he had waited over 5 years from the original injury before he had it done, just because he couldn't afford to take 5-6 months off work. He was fine the whole time though, playing soccer and hockey, and said it was just a bit of pain. He recovered 100%.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Hall's last game was March 16th of last season. RNH's is nearing the end of April. So by that timeline, we're looking at around xmas.

I sure hope it's sooner than that.

Hall said he was good for the start of the season but since it was just the AHL, they waited a few extra weeks. It should only be about 6 months, which would be mid to late October.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Everyone in the media certainly backed management, but not everyone on this board. I certainly said we needed to know more before dismissing his accusations.

True, I'd put it at about 97.5% of this forum backed the oilers and yucked it up about Souray getting banished.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad