Proposal: RNH++ for Laine

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
To all future posters, this is how you do it. Well written, articulate, lots of points and facts to back up the proposal and on top of that proper grammar and spacing.
Fills a need both teams have the only thing is both contracts are short term left so for the Jackets they would need an extension in place.
As a Nucks fan the thought Laine with Drai #97 is a scary thought.
I appreciate it!

I also am a fan of when the OP explains their proposal as to give some foundation to the logic rather than just throwing some names out and seeing fanbases go at it

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
You would be fired on the spot if you didn't trade Holloway for Laine straight up.
You can't make that deal because of cap implications

Obviously Laine has more value in a vacuum but the Oilers desperately need a young top 6 player/3C on a ELC for the next 3 years. If they trade Holland and give that cheap contract up, they at least have to send some salary along with him.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
To all future posters, this is how you do it. Well written, articulate, lots of points and facts to back up the proposal and on top of that proper grammar and spacing.
Fills a need both teams have the only thing is both contracts are short term left so for the Jackets they would need an extension in place.
As a Nucks fan the thought Laine with Drai #97 is a scary thought.

not sure how well thought out this is. the OP admits Laine doesn't play a 200' game, which is why CBJ wants RNH. fair enough

but in what world, even with 2 other stud centers, would a team trade a C that plays a 200' game for a W that doesn't (and doesn't appear very coachable.. doesnt appear to be very team oriented..etc..selfish) and their numbers are basically identical?

I get RNH is a pending FA, but if I'm gonna take on Laine's salary, and what he'll get awarded in arbitration, I'd rather sign RNH

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Extensions happen as part of a trade all the time.
Domi, Anderson, Stone, Trouba, etc etc.

Just LOL at the names you brought up. You think off-season trades have any relevance? You think trading players from a rebuilding team is relevant?

The situation here is that it is proposed that Edmonton, who is likely to make the playoffs and contend, would trade a core players. Let’s think about this from RNH’s perspective. He’s been on plenty of bad Oiler teams and the franchise is finally turning a corner. Is Holland going to call him up and say, “Hey Ryan! How would you like to leave the Oilers now and sign a long-term contract with a mediocre team? You would do us all a solid since we kinda like Laine better than you.”

Unless CBJ is going to overpay RNH considerably, why would RNH do this? He can negotiate with 32 teams and find a better situation and also get a playoff run in with the Oilers.

I don’t see a contract extension as a reasonable thing to happen, which is why this proposal is dumb.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Not for CBJ. Is RNH a big enough upgrade on Roslo, Jenner or even Stenlund to justify giving up a top line sniper?

Not surprising that this thread is 4 pages of negativity about Laine and positive about RNH.

This aint happening no matter how much EDM fans want to fool themselves into thinking they have a chance at Laine.
No EDM fans trying to fool anyone. We simply wouldn’t make the swap, can’t run the risk of Laine not meshing with the team or paying him his ask if he does perform well. Rather just keep the reliable and more versatile player.

Perfectly understandable if CBJ don’t make this trade either but Edmonton would be smart to stay away from Laine.

Reactions: spaghtti

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Trade a star center for a star winger, and then when that winger's trade value is at its lowest possible ebb, jump while the iron is ice cold and trade him for pennies on the dollar. Yeah, that makes sense.

Like Winnipeg before them, the Blue Jackets have a temperamental superstar, a high-maintenance thoroughbred, and they need to work on building him up. That might mean changing out their coach, but Laine's high end means treating him a little differently. That's the deal with guys like that.

Reactions: Dumais

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Trade a star center for a star winger, and then when that winger's trade value is at its lowest possible ebb, jump while the iron is ice cold and trade him for pennies on the dollar. Yeah, that makes sense.

Like Winnipeg before them, the Blue Jackets have a temperamental superstar, a high-maintenance thoroughbred, and they need to work on building him up. That might mean changing out their coach, but Laine's high end means treating him a little differently. That's the deal with guys like that.

I don't see RNH as pennies on the dollar. but kudos if CBJ wants to keep Laine.

Reactions: TFHockey

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Nuge is a pending ufa , the other pieces don't really balance that. Jones has very little value at this pt . Extended would be a different story

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Nugent-Hopkinsis a good player, but of course this is pennies on the dollar. At the end of the season, Laine is a RFA, while Nugent-Hopkins is a UFA. I was being generous.

eh.. regardless, I'm guessing CBJ is gonna have to work it out with Laine. I doubt if they trade him they get back the value they gave up to get him

Reactions: TFHockey

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I think he'd be great with Draisaitl. He's the best passer in the league and slows the game down in the offensive zone, I believe Draisaitl would be Laine's ideal center.

But I do understand how much Nugent-Hopkins does, this kind of move would probably hurt the Oilers in the short term but it possibly paying off big would be the motivation for a GM to consider pulling the trigger
Drais is not a better passer then- Thortan, Giroux, Backstrom, Crosby, Marner and Patty Kane

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Drais is not a better passer then- Thortan, Giroux, Backstrom, Crosby, Marner and Patty Kane
Drai may not be better passer than names you listed but none of the names you listed are better passers than him either.
It's really impossible to judge.

Lol @ Thornton

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Drai may not be better passer than names you listed but none of the names you listed are better passers than him either.
It's really impossible to judge.

Lol @ Thornton
Joe Thornton in his prime is top 5 all time. You don’t lose passing ability. He just got worse at everything else.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Joe Thornton in his prime is top 5 all time. You don’t lose passing ability. He just got worse at everything else.
You do lose abilities such as accuracy and timing when the game gets too fast for you.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I actually think he is, in my opinion he is the best passer in the league, over McDavid. Backstrom and Kane are close but Draisaitl is definitely a better passer than the rest you listed. His assist totals speak for themselves. And I know it’s just for fun but he did win the passing competition at the all star game last year

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So you agree with his general point, which was that it's f***ing hilarious to think someone wouldn't trade Holloway for Laine.
Don't think a PIT fan could understand this considering Samuel friggin Poulin has been the only 1st round selection since Kapanen.

Holloway seems to the type of player Oilers will need long term considering his 2 way play, physicality , faceoffs , cap hit and speed.

Attraction with Laine is that he may click with Pulju. Defensively it will be a tire fire.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5