Proposal: RNH++ for Laine

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
No interest in Laine. If he lights it up with McDrai he’ll be super expensive to retain. That’s if he’s even interested in staying in Edmonton.

If RNH is wanting to stay in Edmonton you sign him and look at other players as options if Holland is willing to move a 1st+

Example. I’d rather keep RNH and trade a 1st + prospect for Rakell and his value contract.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Oilers definitely say no. Laine has attitude issues, is lazy, and suffers from an overall absence of humility. RNH the opposite of all these things. Feel bad for CLB because PLD forced their hand, but they traded for an underachieving near-bust. Not quite as bad as Daigle, Falloon, Galchenyuk etc. but not that different either. More like Drouin. It is painful watching how slow Laine is and the overall lack of effort.
Yeah, I don't see moving PLD as a bad things with what has come out during and since the trade. Funny you criticize Laine for the very thing PLD displayed here. And the locker room is probably better for it. Laine is what, 22? 20+ games with a new team? Me personally, want to see him play with Nyquist (CBJ only top6 playmaker/setup guy) a minimum of 1 year before I even think of trading him.

Can Laine improve? Especially with Torts (or whoever the next CBJ coach is) drilling defense into his head? Is he worth it?

Sorry EDM fans, we have RNH position already covered.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
This would be a terrible trade for the Blue Jackets.

There’s a 5 year age difference between RNH and Laine. Not to mention Laine is a better player with more potential.

Jones barely has any value, so this is basically RNH and a 1st for Laine.

CBJ says no.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Spoken like someone who's never watched a full game of Oilers hockey.

Next thing you know I'll say Hall had great chemistry with McDavid and Todd McLellan was a master of line matching

I watch like 37 Oiler games a year. When I get off work late and the Lightning are done playing I'm gonna watch the best player on earth

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Laine is the more talented player who has isn't an unrestricted free agent.

For all intensive purposes, this is absurd for CBJ.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
I'm a leafs fan and I hold little weight here but I feel like Laine needs to re-find his niche in order to get back to the value he once had. This seems like an overpayment for the oilers and even though Laine would likely score 60 beside McDavid there is also a chance he does not blend well with the talent there. If anything I keep RNH and hope more of the young forwards (yamamoto, pulujarvi) keep developing. If anything, trade for defense or a goalie bc JHEEZ.

Reactions: TFHockey

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
RNH + Jones + 1st for Laine

Who says no?

CBJ says no. :thumbd:
CBJ will not play in the 2021 Stanley Cup (90%). The value of RNH (UFA) to CBJ is very small.
This is my suggestion.

EDM:
Laine
$4,995,000 RFA
Del Zotto
$700,000
$5,695,000
$2,724,166 free

CBJ:
Holloway (Bouchard)
Bear
$2,000,000
Yamamoto $894,166
Jones $850,000
Neal $4,675,000 (Bad contract = Jones + 1st)
1st 2021
$8,419,166
Additionally, the club changes to other teams Foligno ($5,500,000 @ 50% Ret) and Savard ($4,250,000 @ 50% Ret )= $4,875,000
This is the minimum lucrative exchange for CBJ.
If EDM is not suitable, the clubs find other partners in the deal.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

Who says no?

CBJ will not play in the 2021 Stanley Cup (90%). The value of RNH (UFA) to CBJ is very small.
This is my suggestion.

EDM:
Laine
$4,995,000 RFA
Del Zotto
$700,000
$5,695,000
$2,724,166 free

CBJ:
Holloway (Bouchard)
Bear
$2,000,000
Yamamoto $894,166
Jones $850,000
1st 2021
$8,419,166
Additionally, the club changes to other teams Foligno ($5,500,000 @ 50% Ret) and Savard ($4,250,000 @ 50% Ret )= $4,875,000

I like this one for its simplicity.

Reactions: Seachd

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
I don't think the Oilers would chase Laine. He doesn't fit the salary structure (I'm assuming an increase in scoring with Mcdavid makes his next contract too big), and we have better/more consistent goal scorers on the team. Scoring is not really an issue, our trade chips would be better spent on a goalie. Add to this, Nuge is a leader on the team and the coach considers him part of the core, and his ability to play center allows Tippet to run Mcdavid and Draisaitl together. I can't see a reason to actively try and trade for Laine and I don't think Holland would add to Nuge to get him.

Don't take this as me trying to slam Laine, but it doesn't make sense from an on ice standpoint.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Odd proposal. I don't see a reality where the CBJ are trading Laine let alone for a package around a rental.

I think the RNH situation is an interesting one, I don't see how the Oilers trade him prior to the playoffs nor how they will afford him next year. I think Oil fans should just enjoy him this year before getting used to him in a Kraken jersey.

Reactions: Spazkat

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Laine hasn't been preforming to anyone's expectations in Columbus. Not to his own, the fans or Torterella's. This isn't overly surprising as many Jets fans said a coach like Torts isn't ideal for Laine who needs a lot of leash and as he has warts to his game, even if he is exceptional at shooting.

Columbus' obvious weakness is center and they need a relatively young top 6 center- the only problem with that is, they're never dealt. So looking around the league for teams that can afford to move a center and there aren't many options, but Edmonton would make sense as they have their 2 top 6 center positions locked up and RNH is a pending UFA.

RNH would be a very good fit on Columbus, he has a active motor that translates to solid detail oriented 2-way play that Tortertella expects out of his players and he has good passing abilities to find the Jackets' other shooters like Atkinson and Bjorkstrand.

Edmonton would do this because while it gives them less flexibility in terms of centers, Laine has more high end talent and potential that RNH (who is a good 1st line forward, but isn't elite at anything)

I think Edmonton would have to add, I'd suggest an unprotected 2021 1st and Caleb Jones. Jones is a young bottom pairing guy with 2nd pairing potential, and the added benefit is you're showing you're franchise player Seth Jones that you're doing everything you can to get him to resign there longterm and not walk like Columbus' previous star players. I could even see the Jones brothers being a good pairing, they're both extremely athletic skaters and the handedness would match well, but I understand Columbus has a lot of options at LHD.

Who says no?
Oilers have some momentum and RNH is a big part of that (PK, PP, and plays wing/center) so I can understand where they are coming from if they're skeptical. The Jackets just traded for Laine so I can comprehend if they want to keep him, but I think adding a top 6 all situations center would be more important for their playoff push. If they tried to move Laine for another center who do you think they could get?

This season:
Laine: 23 games- 9 goals, 7 assists, 16 points
RNH: 34 games- 11 goals, 15 assists, 26 points

Including last 2 seasons:
Laine: 173 games- 67 goals, 62 assists, 129 points
RNH- 181 games- 61 goals, 95 assists, 156 points

They last thing the Oilers need is another high price forward . I rather keep RNH . Now if we are talking a goalie and a 3C or a top 6 left winger I may have interest. Other Oilers fans may disagree

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Odd proposal. I don't see a reality where the CBJ are trading Laine let alone for a package around a rental.

I think the RNH situation is an interesting one, I don't see how the Oilers trade him prior to the playoffs nor how they will afford him next year. I think Oil fans should just enjoy him this year before getting used to him in a Kraken jersey.

Lol at RNH signing with the Kraken . RNH loves Edmonton and wants to be an Oiler but it has to make sense for Edmonton. He also been stuck in a rebuilt most of his career . I don’t see him jumping ship now Edmonton is starting to turn the corner.

Again his demands have to make sense . At 7 million he can walk as far as I am concerned . 6.3 is about as high as I would go . Of course like any fan it just my opinion. It’s no more valid then your opinion about him signing with the Kraken.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Lol at RNH signing with the Kraken . RNH loves Edmonton and wants to be an Oiler but it has to make sense for Edmonton. He also been stuck in a rebuilt most of his career . I don’t see him jumping ship now Edmonton is starting to turn the corner.

Again his demands have to make sense . At 7 million he can walk as far as I am concerned . 6.3 is about as high as I would go . Of course like any fan it just my opinion. It’s no more valid then your opinion about him signing with the Kraken.
The Kraken are just a name with a lot of money to spend. Clearly I don't know RNH as well as you do but I don't see them being able to afford him.

I mean you don't think he'll take max dollars from an expansion team but he will give a discount to a perennial bubble team? Maybe, but maybe he'd like to be the man? Maybe he'd give a discount to be on a contender? Either way he has to be looking at 6-7 mil+, Oil can't do that without some big moves to clear cap.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Who says no?

This is my suggestion.

EDM:
Laine
$4,995,000 RFA
Del Zotto
$700,000
$5,695,000
$2,724,166 free

CBJ:
Holloway (Bouchard)
Bear
$2,000,000
Yamamoto $894,166
Jones $850,000
1st 2021
$8,419,166

Holloway, Bear, Yamamoto, Jones, a 1st and Neal. WTF are you smoking. That is highway robbery. Absolute thievery going on here.

Oilers easily pass and if the asking price is similar for other teams so do all the others.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Didn’t you see him enough when he played for Tampa?

You're gonna have to help me with this one. Oiler games run late and I'll get to see them vs the Lightning games on the East Coast that end sooner. So that's when I toss up my hands apathetically and say "Oh well.... I bet McDavid is having a hell of a night" and watch his magic

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
You're gonna have to help me with this one. Oiler games run late and I'll get to see them vs the Lightning games on the East Coast that end sooner. So that's when I toss up my hands apathetically and say "Oh well.... I bet McDavid is having a hell of a night" and watch his magic
My bad, I just assumed you meant Mike Smith.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

I may not agree with everything you say, but anyone willing to stay up and watch Oiler games gets respect in my book.

Reactions: These Are The Days

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I'd rather have RNH on the roster, lose him for pennies before the draft than have Laine crater the Oilers chances of winning the division and dealing with his contract demands

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad