Proposal: RNH++ for Laine

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Yes because it’s so easy

it’s just raining free agent top 6 centers
First, I will gladly trade for a young rookie center who has struggled or has issues, and/or has potential to be a #1C.
Second, I would trade for a 35+ old Veteran 1C (who is a 2c with leadership etc.)
Third, I would trade for one of Nashville centers.
Fourth, I would trade one of a number of lesser pieces for the one of the above (and draft a C) before trading Laine.
Fifth, I would trade one of Jones/Werenski for a top line center.
Sixth, try FA

All before trading for another top 6 center/winger (Domi, Roslo, Jenner even Foligno) who is going to be looking for his big long term deal that will not solve our problem with finding a Center to play with Laine.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I actually think he is, in my opinion he is the best passer in the league, over McDavid. Backstrom and Kane are close but Draisaitl is definitely a better passer than the rest you listed. His assist totals speak for themselves. And I know it’s just for fun but he did win the passing competition at the all star game last year
I think Thortan is the best passer of them all no doubt Drais is good but he has other great tools that make him better. He is elite in many aspects compared to Backstrom and especially Thortan who rely solely on their vision.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think Thortan is the best passer of them all no doubt Drais is good but he has other great tools that make him better. He is elite in many aspects compared to Backstrom and especially Thortan who rely solely on their vision.
Well I really hope you're not talking about Thorton now, who has 9 assists compared to Draisaitl's 34.

I won't speak to them at their peaks, but I'm talking about currently, this season, who the best passers in the league are, and I think you'd be hard pressed to make an argument for anyone other than Draisaitl or McDavid. Draisaitl assist totals along with some of his fancy passing plays, long distance saucers, and vision for unfolding multi touch plays makes him the best distributer currently in the NHL imo

Frankly I don't even think Backstrom or Thornton even have an argument rn.

Reactions: Ragdoll

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Well I really hope you're not talking about Thorton now, who has 9 assists compared to Draisaitl's 34.

I won't speak to them at their peaks, but I'm talking about currently, this season, who the best passers in the league are, and I think you'd be hard pressed to make an argument for anyone other than Draisaitl or McDavid. Draisaitl assist totals along with some of his fancy passing plays, long distance saucers, and vision for unfolding multi touch plays makes him the best distributer currently in the NHL imo

Frankly I don't even think Backstrom or Thornton even have an argument rn.
You don’t lose vision tho I still think Thornton is a better passer. I think Gretzky is better passer then both you can be 80 years old and in a wheel chair but that doesn’t take away vision. Thortan sucks now the only reason he’s in the nhl because he can put the puck on other players tapes. Drais is all around way better then all of those players right now tho.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
You don’t lose vision tho I still think Thornton is a better passer. I think Gretzky is better passer then both you can be 80 years old and in a wheel chair but that doesn’t take away vision. Thortan sucks now the only reason he’s in the nhl because he can put the puck on other players tapes. Drais is all around way better then all of those players right now tho.
But his passing right now isn't where it was over a decade ago. Players decline and that includes passing. You'd be crazy to think Thorton is currently the better passer, even on the leafs Marner is a lot better at the moment, he is making passes that Thorton could when he was 26 but can't now that he is 41.

No doubt Thornton is still a good passer, definitely above league average. But its not the best in the league. Honestly I don't even think he is top 10, there are a lot of good puck distributors in their primes

Reactions: Ragdoll

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think that you lose Torts before you make any move to accommodate his wishes. Enough, already.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
But his passing right now isn't where it was over a decade ago. Players decline and that includes passing. You'd be crazy to think Thorton is currently the better passer, even on the leafs Marner is a lot better at the moment, he is making passes that Thorton could when he was 26 but can't now that he is 41.

No doubt Thornton is still a good passer, definitely above league average. But its not the best in the league. Honestly I don't even think he is top 10, there are a lot of good puck distributors in their primes
I don’t know if Marner is a better passer right now it’s definitely close but I haven’t seen thortan turn over a pass yet this season and he’s making these crazy passes while skating like a beer leaguer. It’s pretty special. That’s just my opinion.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
If CBJ want to get anything relevant at all for Laine they need to go for it now, else they trade his rights after one more abysmal season for a 3rd rounder next year.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Hertz looked like shit in alumni game the first outdoor game. Claiming he can still pass like an average AHLer would be incorrect.

Thornton was an elite passer in his prime but right now he wouldn't even be top 5 on his team let alone be the best in the league.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Hertz looked like shit in alumni game the first outdoor game. Claiming he can still pass like an average AHLer would be incorrect.

Thornton was an elite passer in his prime but right now he wouldn't even be top 5 on his team let alone be the best in the league.
Thortan is definitely top 5 on the leafs

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Not really interested in dealing much for Laine. Pending UFA and isnt really doing much.

Him or Hall Id give a 2nd + prospect for at the TDL, and maybe sign either for 6ish mil. But neither really get me excited

However, I 100% understand RNH+ seeming like a low offer for Laine. CLB gave up a ton for him. But i have always seen him as a super flawed player and one who will have a short shelf life as a top end NHL scorer.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Not really interested in dealing much for Laine. Pending UFA and isnt really doing much.

Him or Hall Id give a 2nd + prospect for at the TDL, and maybe sign either for 6ish mil. But neither really get me excited

However, I 100% understand RNH+ seeming like a low offer for Laine. CLB gave up a ton for him. But i have always seen him as a super flawed player and one who will have a short shelf life as a top end NHL scorer.
He is NOT a pending UFA.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

He still has two arb years after this, and as bad as he's been for Columbus, I doubt they would entertain not qualifying him.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013

He's a RFA and 22yo. And has played 25 games for a coach that not a "player-coach" and has to learn a new system. He can and likely will get better just like Domi. I understand other fanbase want CBJ to write him off and sell at bargain bin prices but with all due respect...

Reactions: Fro and LTIR

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Too much coming from Edmonton. Really, we're okay not dealing RNH for Laine. If Columbus gets a massive haul for him more power to them.
You also upgrade Bear to Savard and Koskinen to Korpisalo. If they make a run the first rounder is late. I'd do it cause I'd love to see Laine take feeds from McDavid. With JP there too, I think it's worth the risk and I'm an RNH fan. They still need to find a steady anchor for the third line.

Also in favor of keeping RNH too, if the price is right.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
First, I will gladly trade for a young rookie center who has struggled or has issues, and/or has potential to be a #1C.
Second, I would trade for a 35+ old Veteran 1C (who is a 2c with leadership etc.)

You mean one of the Nashville centers your team already had and promptly figured out weren't the solution either? :huh:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You mean one of the Nashville centers your team already had and promptly figured out weren't the solution either? :huh:

Yeah people have genuinely been considering it. It would of course be a massive mistake.

Signing 1 or 2 of

Danault
RNH
Lowry
Stastny
Laughton

is a much much better idea.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I dont see RNH (ignoring OP for a moment) with Laine as a top line that will make it to the cup finals. And I dont see how trading assets that EDM fans want in return; plus pushing Roslo down or to the wing along with Texier development.

Such a dumb idea acquiring RNH IMO.

Especially the cost of him as a rental...

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Thortan is far from a top 5 passer. I think your grasping at air with the Thortan comment
In my opinion his passing hasn’t changed since he was 26 but I’ll say a prime Joe Thornton is a better “passer” then Drais although Drais is a much better goal scorer

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Fourth, I would trade one of a number of lesser pieces for the one of the above (and draft a C) before trading Laine.
Fifth, I would trade one of Jones/Werenski for a top line center.
Sixth, try FA

All before trading for another top 6 center/winger (Domi, Roslo, Jenner even Foligno) who is going to be looking for his big long term deal that will not solve our problem with finding a Center to play with Laine.

1. That is incredibly rare. Most teams will not let this player go, outside of Columbus this year which the player wanted out
2. This player will want to play on a playoff contender
3. Both Nashville centers didn’t like you guys very much
4. Lesser pieces don’t get a top 6 center
5. That would hurt a lot. Probably better to hang on to these guys unless they don’t want to stay long term
6. Columbus with Torts is probably pretty close to Edmonton and Winnipeg in desirability for FA so good luck

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
And we got plenty of time to find Laine one before selling him off for a rental top 6.

And btw, most of the things you EDM fans claim about Laine, mirrors RNH a lot...just sayin.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
The Jackets need a center to play with Laine. This would be like having a low battery on your phone and trading it for a charger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad