Proposal: RNH++ for Laine

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
Laine hasn't been preforming to anyone's expectations in Columbus. Not to his own, the fans or Torterella's. This isn't overly surprising as many Jets fans said a coach like Torts isn't ideal for Laine who needs a lot of leash and as he has warts to his game, even if he is exceptional at shooting.

Columbus' obvious weakness is center and they need a relatively young top 6 center- the only problem with that is, they're never dealt. So looking around the league for teams that can afford to move a center and there aren't many options, but Edmonton would make sense as they have their 2 top 6 center positions locked up and RNH is a pending UFA.

RNH would be a very good fit on Columbus, he has a active motor that translates to solid detail oriented 2-way play that Tortertella expects out of his players and he has good passing abilities to find the Jackets' other shooters like Atkinson and Bjorkstrand.

Edmonton would do this because while it gives them less flexibility in terms of centers, Laine has more high end talent and potential that RNH (who is a good 1st line forward, but isn't elite at anything)

I think Edmonton would have to add, I'd suggest an unprotected 2021 1st and Caleb Jones. Jones is a young bottom pairing guy with 2nd pairing potential, and the added benefit is you're showing you're franchise player Seth Jones that you're doing everything you can to get him to resign there longterm and not walk like Columbus' previous star players. I could even see the Jones brothers being a good pairing, they're both extremely athletic skaters and the handedness would match well, but I understand Columbus has a lot of options at LHD.

RNH + Jones + 1st for Laine

Who says no?
Oilers have some momentum and RNH is a big part of that (PK, PP, and plays wing/center) so I can understand where they are coming from if they're skeptical. The Jackets just traded for Laine so I can comprehend if they want to keep him, but I think adding a top 6 all situations center would be more important for their playoff push. If they tried to move Laine for another center who do you think they could get?

This season:
Laine: 23 games- 9 goals, 7 assists, 16 points
RNH: 34 games- 11 goals, 15 assists, 26 points

Including last 2 seasons:
Laine: 173 games- 67 goals, 62 assists, 129 points
RNH- 181 games- 61 goals, 95 assists, 156 points
So RNH has more points, similar goals in similar games and we are the ones to add a large plus? Contract extension talks are looking like 5.5-6.5 range right now so RNH gets a moderate raise if anything. Hard no from Edmonton’s point of view. I get Laine is younger and would love playing with a revitalized JP but this is definitely not good asset management from Edmonton’s perspective. If RNH goes to FA feel free to sign him then.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
So RNH has more points, similar goals in similar games and we are the ones to add a large plus? Contract extension talks are looking like 5.5-6.5 range right now so RNH gets a moderate raise if anything. Hard no from Edmonton’s point of view. I get Laine is younger and would love playing with a revitalized JP but this is definitely not good asset management from Edmonton’s perspective. If RNH goes to FA feel free to sign him then.

where are you getting 5.5 tp 6.5 range?
Only thing I have seen is an athletic or sportsnet article (forget now) saying the ask from RNH is probably similar to Draisaitl's deal but likely Gallagher's deal is a good comp.

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
Holloway, Bear, Yamamoto, Jones, a 1st and Neal. WTF are you smoking. That is highway robbery. Absolute thievery going on here.

Oilers easily pass and if the asking price is similar for other teams so do all the others.
I treated the comment with humor.

I wrote “Neal $ 4,675,000 (Bad contract = Jones + 1st)”. Do you think this is an overpayment?

EDM can keep (Neal t+Jones + 1st) o themselves.
Laine $ 4,995,000 RFA = Holloway (Bouchard) + Bear + Yamamoto.
Have you confused (Bear + Yamamoto) with (McDavid + Draisaitl)?
Do you think (Holloway + Kassian + Neal) is a fair price?
Good luck with realism and peace of mind.

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
Only thing I have seen is an athletic or sportsnet article (forget now) saying the ask from RNH is probably similar to Draisaitl's deal but likely Gallagher's deal is a good comp.
It was about a week ago the report came out that RNH and the oilers were back in contract talks. I forget who said it but I thought it was lowetide?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

I wrote “Neal $ 4,675,000 (Bad contract = Jones + 1st)”. Do you think this is an overpayment?

Holloway isn’t going anywhere. I know every fan base is guilty of overvaluing their prospects and my comments will be accused of such, but I wouldn’t move Holloway straight up for Laine (hear me out).

Holloway looks ready to play right now and his game and skill set is basically a bigger/stronger/more physical RNH. I’m not saying he ever outperforms Laine for numbers, but he’ll play a strong two way game and be capable of 40-50 points while on his ELC (my opinion). Laine will be asking for 6-8 mil per and still needs Google Maps to find the defensive zone.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis

What are you even attempting to communicate here?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Holloway isn’t going anywhere. I know every fan base is guilty of overvaluing their prospects and my comments will be accused of such, but I wouldn’t move Holloway straight up for Laine (hear me out).

Holloway looks ready to play right now and his game and skill set is basically a bigger/stronger/more physical RNH. I’m not saying he ever outperforms Laine for numbers, but he’ll play a strong two way game and be capable of 40-50 points while on his ELC (my opinion). Laine will be asking for 6-8 mil per and still needs Google Maps to find the defensive zone.
Yeah Holloway looks like the best value pick of the 2020 draft so far. You literally couldn't ask for a better D+1 year

I bet Holland and the scouting/coaching staff have to be absolutely thrilled. I think there's a good chance he could jump on the Oilers team this postseason, and contribute similar to Makar a few years back. Or maybe I'm getting ahead of myself haha

Reactions: dreamcomehere

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
In what world would RNH get the Draisaitl deal? The 2 aren't comparable at all- age wise, RFA vs UFA, 2021 salary cap structure vs what it was like back in July 2017.

He likely gets a under a 1 million dollar raise, so 6-7 million with probably 6-8 years of term. That's pretty fair for both sides. 6 mil x 6 years would be a steal for Edmonton, 7 mil x 8 years would be a big win for RNH, so it probably falls in between.

Reactions: TFHockey

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
In what world would RNH get the Draisaitl deal? The 2 aren't comparable at all- age wise, RFA vs UFA, 2021 salary cap structure vs what it was like back in July 2017.

He likely gets a under a 1 million dollar raise, so 6-7 million with probably 6-8 years of term. That's pretty fair for both sides. 6 mil x 6 years would be a steal for Edmonton, 7 mil x 8 years would be a big win for RNH, so it probably falls in between.

I think they were more talking about the average of 8.5. Given Draisaitl is on a team friendly deal it really is the only thing I can think of. Gotta start somewhere and work down if you're the player and opposite if your the team I guess.

It was sportsnet where I read it:
NHL's Top 12 UFAs of 2021: Latest rumours, reports
Mark Spector:

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think they were more talking about the average of 8.5. Given Draisaitl is on a team friendly deal it really is the only thing I can think of. Gotta start somewhere and work down if you're the player and opposite if your the team I guess.
But I'd like to hear how RNH justifies asking for 8.5

Look at his comparable, they're not getting 8.5 with 6+ years of term

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
But I'd like to hear how RNH justifies asking for 8.5

Look at his comparable, they're not getting 8.5 with 6+ years of term

i'd like to be a fly on the wall in alot of negotiations.

Even Draisaitl at the time when he signed I wondered if what the original player ask was or if the team presented him with that number. It was large for what he had done to that point but has obviously worked out great for the oilers. Flip side is I wonder about Koskinen's, did the player have a larger ask or did Peter C just present him with something he could not refuse.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Laine would demand too much on his next contract and he’s a one trick pony that doesn’t play defence.

Doesn’t come across as someone that works hard at all on his offseason training either.

He’s more concerned with playing video games it seems than improving himself as a professional hockey player.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Laine hasn't been preforming to anyone's expectations in Columbus. Not to his own, the fans or Torterella's. This isn't overly surprising as many Jets fans said a coach like Torts isn't ideal for Laine who needs a lot of leash and as he has warts to his game, even if he is exceptional at shooting.

Columbus' obvious weakness is center and they need a relatively young top 6 center- the only problem with that is, they're never dealt. So looking around the league for teams that can afford to move a center and there aren't many options, but Edmonton would make sense as they have their 2 top 6 center positions locked up and RNH is a pending UFA.

RNH would be a very good fit on Columbus, he has a active motor that translates to solid detail oriented 2-way play that Tortertella expects out of his players and he has good passing abilities to find the Jackets' other shooters like Atkinson and Bjorkstrand.

Edmonton would do this because while it gives them less flexibility in terms of centers, Laine has more high end talent and potential that RNH (who is a good 1st line forward, but isn't elite at anything)

I think Edmonton would have to add, I'd suggest an unprotected 2021 1st and Caleb Jones. Jones is a young bottom pairing guy with 2nd pairing potential, and the added benefit is you're showing you're franchise player Seth Jones that you're doing everything you can to get him to resign there longterm and not walk like Columbus' previous star players. I could even see the Jones brothers being a good pairing, they're both extremely athletic skaters and the handedness would match well, but I understand Columbus has a lot of options at LHD.

Who says no?
Oilers have some momentum and RNH is a big part of that (PK, PP, and plays wing/center) so I can understand where they are coming from if they're skeptical. The Jackets just traded for Laine so I can comprehend if they want to keep him, but I think adding a top 6 all situations center would be more important for their playoff push. If they tried to move Laine for another center who do you think they could get?

This season:
Laine: 23 games- 9 goals, 7 assists, 16 points
RNH: 34 games- 11 goals, 15 assists, 26 points

Including last 2 seasons:
Laine: 173 games- 67 goals, 62 assists, 129 points
RNH- 181 games- 61 goals, 95 assists, 156 points
To all future posters, this is how you do it. Well written, articulate, lots of points and facts to back up the proposal and on top of that proper grammar and spacing.
Fills a need both teams have the only thing is both contracts are short term left so for the Jackets they would need an extension in place.
As a Nucks fan the thought Laine with Drai #97 is a scary thought.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
This is a nonsensical proposal given RNH’s contract status. You don’t give up Laine for a rental and I don’t think it’s realistic to have Columbus negotiate a long-term contract for him as a condition for a trade.

If RNH does not resign with Edmonton, you offer a draft pick to acquire negotiating rights prior to UFA and try your best to get him under contract.
Extensions happen all th
This is a nonsensical proposal given RNH’s contract status. You don’t give up Laine for a rental and I don’t think it’s realistic to have Columbus negotiate a long-term contract for him as a condition for a trade.

If RNH does not resign with Edmonton, you offer a draft pick to acquire negotiating rights prior to UFA and try your best to get him under contract.
Extensions happen as part of a trade all the time.
Domi, Anderson, Stone, Trouba, etc etc.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
To all future posters, this is how you do it. Well written, articulate, lots of points and facts to back up the proposal and on top of that proper grammar and spacing.
Fills a need both teams have the only thing is both contracts are short term left so for the Jackets they would need an extension in place.
As a Nucks fan the thought Laine with Drai #97 is a scary thought.
Not for CBJ. Is RNH a big enough upgrade on Roslo, Jenner or even Stenlund to justify giving up a top line sniper?

Not surprising that this thread is 4 pages of negativity about Laine and positive about RNH.

This aint happening no matter how much EDM fans want to fool themselves into thinking they have a chance at Laine.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

You would be fired on the spot if you didn't trade Holloway for Laine straight up.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Well, no... Pretty easy to see why some would do it and some wouldn’t.
Why you wouldnt trade a 14th overall pick for a guy whos a 40G scorer with potential for more and was JUST traded for a young #1C? Yeah, that's lunacy.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016

Who says no?

CBJ says no. :thumbd:
CBJ will not play in the 2021 Stanley Cup (90%). The value of RNH (UFA) to CBJ is very small.
This is my suggestion.

EDM:
Laine
$4,995,000 RFA
Del Zotto
$700,000
$5,695,000
$2,724,166 free

CBJ:
Holloway (Bouchard)
Bear
$2,000,000
Yamamoto $894,166
Jones $850,000
Neal $4,675,000 (Bad contract = Jones + 1st)
1st 2021
$8,419,166
Additionally, the club changes to other teams Foligno ($5,500,000 @ 50% Ret) and Savard ($4,250,000 @ 50% Ret )= $4,875,000
This is the minimum lucrative exchange for CBJ.
If EDM is not suitable, the clubs find other partners in the deal.

giphy (2) (26).gif

Take Holloway (Bouchard) and 1st out there and I still wouldn't do it.
Laine just is too expensive for what he brings and Edmonton definetly needs all low cap players it has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad