Blue Jays Discussion: RIP Roy Halladay (1977-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I have to say I'm happy with our FO on these moves - people rag on me for worrying too much about prospect age (i.e. a 24yr old in single A really ain't a prospect unless he's absolutely demolishing it and even then probably not) but I feel at least a little confirmation from the FO on this now.

I mean it's one thing to be old for your levels like, say, Pillar was....but even Pillar had already hit the majors at 24.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
2018 AFL Standouts - Rotoworld.com

TJ Zeuch, RHP, Toronto Blue Jays -- A 2016 first-round pick, Zeuch disappointed in his first professional season, striking out just 51 batters in 65 ⅔ innings. He was much better in the AFL, however, fanning 15 hitters in just under 19 innings with a respectable 3.44 ERA. The 6-foot-7 right-hander gets downhill with a mid-90s fastball, and his curveball is another swing-and-miss option when he stays on top of it. Add in an average slider and developing change, and he has the arsenal and size you’re looking for in a mid-rotation option. It’s just a matter of showing that stuff consistently.

Breakout prospects from Arizona Fall League

Jonathan Davis, OF, Blue Jays: Davis isn't currently on Toronto's Top 30, but that certainly could change in 2018 after his strong AFL stint. Acting primarily as league champion Peoria's leadoff hitter, he got on base (.389 OBP) and hit .295 while going 7-for-8 on stolen-base attempts.

T.J. Zeuch, RHP, Blue Jays' No. 5 prospect: It's tough for a first-round pick to be truly under the radar, but coming from a Pitt program not exactly known as a baseball powerhouse then missing around two months because of a back injury in his first full season limited Zeuch's exposure. While he didn't light up radar guns like some this fall, he was very effective this fall, with his heavy fastball leading to a 2.45 GO/AO ratio. He capped it all off with the win in the championship game.

Standouts from 2017 AFL championship game

T.J. Zeuch, RHP, Peoria (Blue Jays). The day started poorly for Zeuch, who looked tired while sitting at 89-91 mph with his fastball and giving up two runs in the first inning. After Filia's diving catch bailed him out of a second-inning jam, he was a different guy, repeatedly touching 93 and 94 mph with his sinker while pitching into the sixth. He threw 49 of 70 pitches for strikes and induced three double plays in 5 2/3 innings.

Last edited:

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I have to say I'm happy with our FO on these moves - people rag on me for worrying too much about prospect age (i.e. a 24yr old in single A really ain't a prospect unless he's absolutely demolishing it and even then probably not) but I feel at least a little confirmation from the FO on this now.

I mean it's one thing to be old for your levels like, say, Pillar was....but even Pillar had already hit the majors at 24.

I imagine it makes it easier for them to do so considering its not their mistake to admit. Now, if it was their first round pick, would they have left him unprotected? Who knows.

Zeuch adjusted his breaking ball, and got some very intriguing results. I was critical about his lack of strikeouts back in June, and this should help him moving forward to AA if its sustainable.

Davis I like. He's the sleepiest of sleepers, likely due to his age. Was a 4 WARP guy at Dunedin in 2016, and a 3.1 WARP guy at NH last year. He's essentially a poor poor man's Anthony Alford (i.e. athletic, toolsy outfielder who shows a good ability to get on base). Strikeouts are an issue, however.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeke

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The idea that Zeuch "dissappointed" in his first year is just bad scouting, imo.

He had very solid numbers across the board, and while his K rate wasn't high, his K-BB was still very good, and even more impressive because it was paired with an elite groundball rate.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Davis I like. He's the sleepiest of sleepers, likely due to his age. Was a 4 WARP guy at Dunedin in 2016, and a 3.1 WARP guy at NH last year. He's essentially a poor poor man's Anthony Alford (i.e. athletic, toolsy outfielder who shows a good ability to get on base). Strikeouts are an issue, however.

Time to blow your mind. Jonathan Davis had an 8.1 SwStr% last season. He strikes out because of his approach, a la Russ Martin. He's basically a right handed hitting Willie Harris but with more power.

The idea that Zeuch "dissappointed" in his first year is just bad scouting, imo.

He had very solid numbers across the board, and while his K rate wasn't high, his K-BB was still very good, and even more impressive because it was paired with an elite groundball rate.

We don't agree on a ton of things, but Zeuch is certainly one of them. He's got a Brandon Webb GB rate, that's super valuable.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Who cares, is this really a surprise??? Did we all actually think the Jays were signing this guy?

From last season it was reported that it was a 3 horse race between the Yankess, Texas and Seattle. Why do you all think? Matsui, Tanaka with the Yanks, Darvish and Choo with Texas and, Ichiro and their pitcher with Seattle.

History lures the FA's. Sorry Kawasaki for the Jays doesn't make us a front runner at all.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'm still not completely sure it's worth it for Ohtani to come over right now. I don't know how he's marketed in Japan but I'd like to think he has entered immortal status there.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I'm still not completely sure it's worth it for Ohtani to come over right now. I don't know how he's marketed in Japan but I'd like to think he has entered immortal status there.

I am probably one of the few, but I think hes going to be a bust. Just not feeling it.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I dont think he should come over either. Come in a few years and make 100M+

Personally i think he wont be as good of a hitter - its a hard league to come in master both hitting and pitching. He will be around average at best (likely Bumgardner type bat) but i think he will be a good pitcher.

Reactions: TF97

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Really hope Pentecost isn't selected. He's had some tough luck when it comes to injuries and mis-diagnosis's as part of the Blue Jays organization. Last season was the most he played since being drafted, and held his own. Really hope he is not selected and we can have him develop one more season. This kids bat is the real deal.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Really hope Pentecost isn't selected. He's had some tough luck when it comes to injuries and mis-diagnosis's as part of the Blue Jays organization. Last season was the most he played since being drafted, and held his own. Really hope he is not selected and we can have him develop one more season. This kids bat is the real deal.

He won't be selected.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
He won't be selected.

I was thinking the same. Only has played 19 games behind the plate in the past year. Too little to ask of a MLB team to put him on their opening day roster. Selections are more so towards pitchers you can stash in bullpen, or utility players with upside that you can keep on your bench.

I hope your right.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I like the pitch clock idea. Too many take forever to throw the damn ball :)

I like it in theory but i fear pitchers could get injured. Its the batters that leave the batters box that add unnecessary time and call timeouts. If you want to speed it up then you have 3 timeouts per game. Managers cant walk up to the mound to make a pitching change just simply tell the ump or call it in on the phone. If the catcher wants to go to the mound or batter wants to step out then you lose one of your 3 timeouts.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Jeff Passan reporting the Braves will lose Maitan and 11 other prospects

Damn they really hitting the Braves hard.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Jeff Passan @JeffPassan
BREAKING: Star prospect Kevin Maitan is one of 12 Atlanta Braves minor leaguers expected to be declared a free agent after league investigation, sources tell Yahoo Sports. In addition, Braves will suffer significant restrictions in 2019-20 and 2020-21 international FA classes.

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan
2m
Other penalties: The Braves will not be allowed to sign 14-year-old shortstop Robert Puason, the top player in the class of 2019, with whom they had illegally struck a deal. Atlanta also will lose a third-round draft pick in 2018 for offering inducements to a drafted player.

that's kinda big.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
are those punishments kind of really tough? top prospect and 11 others? are the 11 others the next best 11? that would set them back massively youd think

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
are those punishments kind of really tough? top prospect and 11 others? are the 11 others the next best 11? that would set them back massively youd think

Steve Adams from MLBTR said that JJ Cooper from BA mentioned that the Braves are losing 4 of their top 30 guys. Maiten is regarded as a top tier guy the rest are young longshots for the most part. These are prospects signed from the 2016-17 July 2 IFA class that the Braves signed if i am not mistaken.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Steve Adams from MLBTR said that JJ Cooper from BA mentioned that the Braves are losing 4 of their top 30 guys. Maiten is regarded as a top tier guy the rest are young longshots for the most part. These are prospects signed from the 2016-17 July 2 IFA class that the Braves signed if i am not mistaken.

ok thanks, so now they are UFA's? maybe the jays can get in on one or a couple

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
That's an enormous penalty.

They basically lose all their top international signings from 2015-16 and 2016-17.
But they're still subject to spending limits of $300,000/player for 2017-18 and 2018-19.
Then their spending limit drops to just $10,000/player in 2019-20.
Then they lose half their signing bonus pool in 2020-21.

The penalties for this year and next didn't change because they were going to be subject to those limits already, but the end result here is that they're going to go six years without signing a big-name IFA. That suuuuucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad