Blue Jays Discussion: RIP Roy Halladay (1977-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
This is a nice little ploy by the MLB with Ohtani lingering in the air and under the same IFA signing rules. Considering that there isn't a logic reason in the world as to why a 23 year old who could be an MLB star as early as next season should be treated under the same light as a 16 year old Venezuelan kid, there makes every bit of sense for MLB teams to do whatever it takes to circumvent the rules in order to convince Ohtani to sign with them. This is a power-play by the MLB to show that you now risk a permanent ban for circumventing these rules, not just a light slap on the wrist.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Red Sox do package deals with prospects -> Lose those prospects

Braves do package deals with prospects -> Lose those prospects, lose the prospects they wouldn't have be able to obtain following year, but keep the 300k restriction on them for the next 2 years anyway and restrict them to 10k and half their pool for the 2 years after that. And ban their GM for life.

Sure the Braves also had a backdoor deal for a 14 year old prospect who was yet ineligible to be signed, and also had some other means of paying prospects outside their bonuses(not just package deals where the good players get most of the shitty players money) that the Sox didn't do. But comparatively MLB was wayyyyy harder on the Braves while the Sox just lose the prospects they couldn't have obtained without cheating anyway.

Reactions: phillipmike

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Feinsand on Blue Jays, Donaldson, Hot Stove

Just as Smoak was a pleasant surprise last season, Atkins pointed to a number of candidates who could be poised for similar breakouts in 2018.
Atkins noted several prospects, including outfielder Teoscar Hernandez -- acquired from the Astros in the Francisco Liriano deal -- and left-handers Ryan Borucki and Tom Pannone as players who could make an impact next season, though the GM said that adding middle infield depth and fine-tuning the pitching staff are among the priorities this offseason.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
:laugh: I've seen a lot of people (writers mostly) talk about The Athletic as if it's this bastion of good fan interactions and smart conversation. Which is why I just read a mostly questionable piece by John Lott about the Jays' 40-man promotions where a commentor actually questioned the logic behind protecting Tellez over Andrew Case. Because Case had a good year (overstated) and Tellez didn't (also kinda overstated)

btw.. Liriano is UFA.. any takers?
Nah. He's still too inconsistent. We should probably be happy that we got the ~year of pretty decent pitching out of him and Teoscar.

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
:laugh: I've seen a lot of people (writers mostly) talk about The Athletic as if it's this bastion of good fan interactions and smart conversation. Which is why I just read a mostly questionable piece by John Lott about the Jays' 40-man promotions where a commentor actually questioned the logic behind protecting Tellez over Andrew Case. Because Case had a good year (overstated) and Tellez didn't (also kinda overstated)
Indeed. That one commenter invalidates the whole venture.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I can see the Jays in on a couple of prospects that were put to FA in the Braves scandal. Shortstop Jiwan Bae would be a fantastic target.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Feinsand on Blue Jays, Donaldson, Hot Stove

Just as Smoak was a pleasant surprise last season, Atkins pointed to a number of candidates who could be poised for similar breakouts in 2018.
Atkins noted several prospects, including outfielder Teoscar Hernandez -- acquired from the Astros in the Francisco Liriano deal -- and left-handers Ryan Borucki and Tom Pannone as players who could make an impact next season, though the GM said that adding middle infield depth and fine-tuning the pitching staff are among the priorities this offseason.

Yeah, I'd say those three are great candidates to break out as well. Borucki\Pannone's K-rates in the minors, and Teoscar's GB/FB ratio are just a couple of metrics that point to that possibility. Need to add a few more position players at a similar stage as Teoscar to increase the possibility of hitting some Chris Taylor\Austin Barnes-esque goodness.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
The 2018 Free-Agent Landmines | FanGraphs Baseball

This exercise is a little easier than finding bargains. Last year, I highlighted Mark Trumbo, Kendrys Morales, Mark Melancon, Edwin Encarnacion, and Matt Wieters as the players to avoid. Those five combined for a grand total of +0.8 WAR in 2017 despite Encarnacion accounting for +2.5 WAR all by himself — and Encarnacion notably signed for significantly less than was expected. If we knew he was going to get three years, $60 million, he wouldn’t have made the landmine list.

Lmao

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
so these prospects that are now UFA, do they get to receive another signing bonus? seems a little unfair on other prospects but probably not that big of a deal

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
so these prospects that are now UFA, do they get to receive another signing bonus? seems a little unfair on other prospects but probably not that big of a deal

I believe they are not entitled to signing bonuses as they have already received those from the Braves organization. They didn't have to repay those. I believe it is a straight FA signing.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
I believe they are not entitled to signing bonuses as they have already received those from the Braves organization. They didn't have to repay those. I believe it is a straight FA signing.

No, they get to sign again for a second bonus if they choose to. They can re-sign with the Braves if they want, but for no extra bonus (and this can't be done until next May I believe). Teams can even allocate funds from next year's IFA pool (the 2018 class) to sign these kids, if they choose to. Also, only the value after $200K counts against the signing team's available pool.

Theoretically the Yankees could sign Ohtani, and then use next year's IFA money to sign Maitan as well. Of course, no one really knows what to make of Maitan considering that he looked like poop this past season.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
No, they get to sign again for a second bonus if they choose to. They can re-sign with the Braves if they want, but for no extra bonus (and this can't be done until next May I believe). Teams can even allocate funds from next year's IFA pool (the 2018 class) to sign these kids, if they choose to. Also, only the value after $200K counts against the signing team's available pool.

Theoretically the Yankees could sign Ohtani, and then use next year's IFA money to sign Maitan as well. Of course, no one really knows what to make of Maitan considering that he looked like poop this past season.

Assuming they're able to sign Otani without triggering the 2018-19 penalties... but that seems unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad