Blue Jays Discussion: RIP Roy Halladay (1977-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Meh, one off year doesn't make him totally useless, isn't he still 30?

Of course it doesn't. But it also makes him a good option as cheap depth who's worth signing to a deal and made to compete for playing time as opposed to someone you sign and plug into a regular rotation spot expecting to get the type of league average production he's provided in the past.

The surface numbers were awful and the indicators weren't any better.

donkeyy0

May 31, 2011
The bolded will be protected, I imagine. Romano actually has a high likelihood of getting selected, but would likely be sent back. I could see someone selected Max Power and stashing him on the DL, having him do extended sprint training and work out at their complex. Trouble is, he desperately needs AB's, and has no business sitting on an MLB roster without having a real position.
I probably wouldnt bother protecting Tellez. How many 1B/DH guys have been taken in Rule 5 ever? I think Romano is more likely to be taken than a DH coming off a down year his first time through AAA. He won' stick on anyone's 23 man imo

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I probably wouldnt bother protecting Tellez. How many 1B/DH guys have been taken in Rule 5 ever? I think Romano is more likely to be taken than a DH coming off a down year his first time through AAA. He won' stick on anyone's 23 man imo

I could see a team like the Rays selecting him and him sticking rather easily, actually.

I’d select him.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I mean, given how sucky most rule 5 draft guys are, if I were GM I can't imagine passing on selecting a kid with Rowdy's track record and upside, no matter how bad his one single bad year was.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Not really news as it was reported in September but it was brought up on MLBTR last night.

Kevin Maitan would be a great get too if he became available as many think he will.

Have to think the jays will do well in Latin America for a long time and I expect the jays to be a player for all the big names. EE and Joey Bats are pretty big names down there and now we have Vladdy Jr on the way which should be a major selling point to these young kids coming up. It definitely helps that Canada is seen as a very friendly and multicultural society where they can eventually bring over their families.

Anyone have any stats or polling numbers on the most popular baseball teams in Latin American countries? Im guessing the jays are pretty popular in places like the Dominican Republic and that you would see plenty of jays gear.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I mean, given how sucky most rule 5 draft guys are, if I were GM I can't imagine passing on selecting a kid with Rowdy's track record and upside, no matter how bad his one single bad year was.

And keeping a 1B/DH-only player coming off a 73 wRC+ season at AAA on your major league roster the whole season?

I guess if you're in an all-out rebuild and desperately need prospects it wouldn't be the worst move.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
And keeping a 1B/DH-only player coming off a 73 wRC+ season at AAA on your major league roster the whole season?

I guess if you're in an all-out rebuild and desperately need prospects it wouldn't be the worst move.

I mean, most rule 5 guys don't hack it and get dropped again anyways. I'd give a shot to a kid who demolished AA at age 21 the year before.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Any info re: when single game tickets go on sale for 2018? Hoping to attend the home opener but not seeing anything yet in terms of when to expect single game tickets to go on sale.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Jays designate Refsynder and he was claimed by the Indians.

Morsoi reports Jays could emerge as darkhorse for JD Martinez.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
He's the best free agent available (by far), so that makes sense. I approve (5 years, $125MM). All that said, Morosi seems like he's been on something lately, so I take it with a grain of salt.

Have to trade fat Kendrys and Pearce if you do sign him though.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
I don't believe that for a second.

Did we figure out who's taking Morales yet?
Maybe the Rays if we throw a prospect their way?
He's wearing pillows strapped to his body to prevent injuries
Meanwhile the underrated post of the day.
But in actuality the Jays are probably just doing their due diligence and Morosi is just exaggerating it lol
If they can find the cash of course theyre interested. Its probably a bit more than due diligence.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Harlod Ramirez and Chris Rowley have been outrighted. Rob Refsynder was claimed by the Indians and the Jays acquire Gift Ngoepe from the Pirates for PTBNL or cash. I believe the Jays are now at 34 players on the 40 man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad