Blue Jays Discussion: RIP Roy Halladay (1977-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm not against Martinez, but I worry a little that the price tag for him would take making a couple of other necessary upgrades off the table (or otherwise restricts the capital available to spend on making those upgrades significant.

don't look into the gift horse's mouth

He's the gift that keeps on giving

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Boras has a tendency to use the media as a way to leverage teams against each other and drive up prices. Bet you anything that Boras leaked the idea that the jays were interested to drive the price up for Boston. I seriously doubt the jays are going to pony up a bunch of money for a corner outfielder who will regress in a few years.

If the jays hand out a 100+ million dollar contract this winter it will be to either Donaldson or Stroman.

Honestly the team needs doesnt need to back up the money truck to JD Martinez....it needs to find the next Jose Bautista or JD Martinez. Its not easy to find these guys but they exist and the good teams are capable of finding them. There are players right now in other organizations in their early to mid 20s that are simply a few tweaks away from becoming another JD Martinez. Be the team that finds that player and not the team that regrets throwing 150+ million at a 30 year old.

Last edited:
Reactions: phillipmike

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Harlod Ramirez and Chris Rowley have been outrighted. Rob Refsynder was claimed by the Indians and the Jays acquire Gift Ngoepe from the Pirates for PTBNL or cash. I believe the Jays are now at 34 players on the 40 man.

Damn has Ramirez regressed that much since the trade?

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
well he lacks power and plate discipline which really makes it hard project as anything more than a 4th OF. He really wasnt much of a prospect to begin with unless you think highly of corner OF types that dont bring power or OBP% to the table. Hes basically Pillar at the plate which is okay if youre a gold glove CFer.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

His stats weren't great. Still young with potential, so someone may be willing to claim him, but the spot is better spent elsewhere when you can protect a guy with more potential.

Interesting to see. Essentially Refsnyder for Guerreri, then bought (which I am guessing is not much different than just signing a MILB guy) or traded a likely no name prospect for what I would guess is an improvement on Refsnyder. Then outright some guys who could be good AAA pieces for the Jays going forward but are nothing special to open up spots for better, younger guys. Not huge moves, but solid ones nonetheless.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Id be surprised if somebody takes him. 24 year old that has never pitched above A ball and doesnt generate ground balls at a high rate.

I also think the Jays don't really care if they lose him. He's not a top guy and they've got some other good options.

If he had big stuff, I think they'd think twice since A+ guys with big stuff sometimes get taken, but usually they are younger guys too and I do not know if he has that.

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
Oakland A’s acquired outfield prospect Ramon Laureano from the Astros for a 23-year 6th round pick A-ball pitcher named Brandon Bailey who has some upside but is short and has had injury issues and projects to more of a reliever. Laureano is a guy who I think would have been a great buy-low opportunity for the Jays to help OF depth. While he struggled this year at the plate, seeing a huge spike in infield flys and ultimately posting an 87 wRC+ in AA. What makes him interesting is that he is a year removed from a .319/.428/.528 line with 15 homers and 43 steals, leading the entire minors in on-base percentage between A+ and AA plus a very impressive Arizona Fall league including an AFL player of the week award. His breakout happened in CAL league which is a notorious hitters league and that dampened the hype a bit. He was able to be even better at AA, cutting his K% while still hitting for power and running like a man on fire, ultimately posting a 184 wRC+ in 36 games and that's what caught my attention last year. He's a guy that Eric Longenhagen of Fangraphs is on record saying he Laureano has 15+ HR potential at the majors, that along with great speed and an on-base heavy game (led the minors in OBP in 2016 among full-season players) thanks to patience and an all-fields approach (Longenhagen gave him a future 60 grade hit tool saying he makes lots of loud, all-fields contact) which should allow him to take advantage of his speed often. He was lost in the crowded Astros outfield plans and likely could have been had for cheap (needed to be on a 40 man roster this year, unfortunately) while having the upside of an average everyday player with ideal leadoff hitter qualities capable of playing all 3 OF positions. Would have been a decent gamble in my opinion.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Expose the 2 soon to be 25yr olds that haven't made it past single A yet.

smart, and obvious in retrospect.

do they still have room to add Rios?

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014

Yeah but I don't see why they would. He was available last year and wasn't taken, and I don't see any reason why all of a sudden a team will want to take him after a bad year in AA.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Biggest name off the list is Pentecost

I can't imagine Pentecost is a high-value target. How many teams are going to want to hold a roster spot for a guy whose coming up on 25, still hasn't shown he can catch full time again yet, and has been a pretty good bat as a catcher, but may not be a good enough bat as a 1B/DH prospect? It sure makes him come across like a disappointing prospect, but double shoulder surgery can do that to a guy.

If someone takes him and wants to give him a shot? More power to them and I hope Pentecost does well. But there are lottery ticket Rule 5 picks and there's eleventy-jillion-to-one-powerball-jackpot Rule 5 picks, and the latter don't happen very often.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
We protected everyone I wanted to so I'm good. Pentecost has some potential left but I'm not sure someone would consider taking him. Take him and DL him until extended spring ends so he can get AB's there with the "excuse" of his forever injuries, then sit him on the bench at the major league level for 90 days until the rosters extend just to get an asset I guess, but that sounds far fetched. Relying on him to be a backup catcher when he hasn't played above A ball would be a bit much as well. Especially with the injury concerns.

Tellez was the interesting one for me. His types rarely get taken in the rule 5 but he's got enough upside you don't want to take that risk.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
A defence only infielder with options. Consider him the new Goins/Barney.

I was just going to say something similar. He's probably lower down the scale than Goins/Barney as they are at least regular/bench utility defenders. Ngoepe seems more like a Jonathan Diaz/Jon Berti type who will spend most of the year with the Bisons and maybe be an emergency call-up if we have a rash of infielder injuries.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I thought it was Jon Heyman who reported that?

Yeah sorry it was Heyman.

Looks like he did.

A Note About Harold Ramirez | FanGraphs Baseball

A rare positive post about the current front office! Impressed Zeke, i didnt let it go unnoticed.

I like these all except Cain and Santana. I think Cain will be good just i dont like a 32 year old CF who makes his money off his legs and defense. I dont expect a Carl Crawford type decline but i wouldnt want him for more than 3 years but he will get 4 years easily, maybe 5. Not a huge Santana fan or any 1B on the market including Hosmer. IF Hosmer is gonna get a deal rumored to be 80M+ then a team will regret that as soon as next year - hope its Boston.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad